Security Devices

I would not bother with anything electronic, personally. Its just one more thing to go wrong when your in the middle of nowhere.

Perhaps something mechanical/visual deterennt? Maybe one of those massive yellow things that go over the whole steering wheel, I think they are called Disklok's; or one of those bars that lock all the pedals together maybe?

Oh, and NOTHING is guaranteed to stop someone pinching you beloved!

What should I get that is guranteed to stop some brute nicking the truck/ is not too expensive / is readily available / and is quick and simple to fit???

Rottveiler?.......doberman??............im a fan of wheel clamps and disc locks.....immobilisers etc im not sure of,if i went wading id be worried bout the electrics,i would definitely suggest a whhel clamp and a disc lock though,disc lock should lower your insurance

I've got a Nemesis wheel clamp but this doesn't quite fit my 110 XS with Boost alloys.

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/shop/security/...mp/prod_78.html

The jaws just go round the tyre but don't quite reach the wheel rim. Still too difficult to get off without the key though and very visible.

Mud Stuff do a clutch based security device http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.html .

Personally, I'd go for something very visible like a clamp or wheel disk/bar. I'd prefer they didn't break in before they found it immovable. Last time that happened they trashed my interior out of spite.

Sadly though if they really want it they'll get it. Usually when you go into a petrol station or shop and leave the vehicle open (one was nicked from a local LR dealers recently when they owner went in to find out where to park).

Steve

As has been said, don't go with anything electronic - a total waste of wire and money. My stolen 200tdi had an immobiliser and it was totally worthless when the thieving gits came calling. I used a clutch claw when my current 110 CSW looked like it wasn't worth nicking. I'll be looking at extra deterrents when I've finished the rebuild though.

B) I got this about 4 years ago, It's made from 5/6 mm thick steel chequer plate with a hardened security padlock <_< It fits onto the brake pedal & covers all three pedals making driving impossible :P

post-1678-1212683640_thumb.jpg

post-1678-1212683723_thumb.jpg

Guest noggy

ive got a immobiliser and alarm i just took out of my rangie for sale if you want them!

theres a man that lives next to my old school, that has a 2 tonish lump of concrete in the ground, with a chain around the chassis.

we also use that system for out horse trailer.

:ph34r: These sound real cool.. I am getting ideas...... I would simply put a syringe with acid in the seat. Bums on the seat means syringe will secrete all it's contents on the brute.. I love acids.... I have it right beside my bedside and the window a stone throw from the car... and any noise I hear outside, I am up like a bull dog.. Hidden behind the curtains... :blink: lurking and ready to secret the contents of the lethal weapon on the culprit...... <_<

What should I get that is guranteed to stop some brute nicking the truck/ is not too expensive / is readily available / and is quick and simple to fit???

My suggestions for increasing the security on your truck are:

- Cable lock around the spare wheel and bracket on the rear door (Argos/Halfords)

- Locking wheel nuts on all five wheels (standard on most recent Defenders I think)

- Clutch Claw

- Padlocks through the holes provided in the spring catches holding the lids on the seat boxes

Yes - four more keys to add to your keyring.

The Clutch Claw does not properly fit my 08 90 SW at present but I'm in discussion with vendors Centinel Security - maybe shorter pegs or other design mods will improve the situation.

The padlocks through the seat box lid catches are not exactly high-security as you can probably bend the catches free, but, it all buys you time when Mr Scroat the Car Thief is trying to disable the alarm etc...

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of a hidden switch to isolate the stop solenoid. Surely that would stop anyone, unless of course they found the switch (or used a recovery truck to pinch the car). If they bypassed the ignition switch then it would turn over but not start, so that might not prompt them to look further, which they may have done if they found that the starter circuit was dead via a switch there.

Mike

Its a case of getting in and or getting the truck.

Want them not to get in, security glass all round, other locks?

Want them not to get the truck then comes into long term or short.

Short term, something you can quickly take with you whilst nipping to pay for the fuel.

Long term, something that takes an age to get into so they wont bother, and pro will be able to get it with enough time.

The hidden switch option would be a convenient thing to activate for any occasion. I haven't really thought about how to keep people out of the car in the first place, apart from locking it with the standard locks. As long as they couldn't get the thing started to drive off in it I think I would be happy enough.

Some random thoughts on security..

If it's a daily-drive then conventional security devices apply, but if it's a weekend toy then how about any/all of the following:

• Put it on axle-stands and chain up your (desirable in themselves?) wheels somewhere out of sight.
  • Put a notice on the steering wheel (as if to remind yourself) saying NO BRAKES!
  • Remove a vital ignition component (in my case the Megajolt module).
  • Remove the battery.
  • Fit a hidden switch (as mentioned previously) but have it control the fuel pump.

Personally, I would rather leave the doors unlocked since it is only the work of a couple of seconds to break in anyway and the damage caused could cost a lot to repair. Of course I would never either do, or advocate doing that since it would invalidate the insurance..

One theft I heard of a few years ago involved getting into the car and (after breaking the steering lock) simply pushing the car out of the drive to a waiting tow vehicle. The ex-owner then built himself a speed-hump in front of his parking place. :)

If you have a drive that the vehicle is parked on, consider putting down gravel.

Impossible to move around quietly then.

Pain in the arse when you drop stuff whilst working on the car though.

One theft I heard of a few years ago involved getting into the car and (after breaking the steering lock) simply pushing the car out of the drive to a waiting tow vehicle. The ex-owner then built himself a speed-hump in front of his parking place. :)

These ideas come always after the scoundrel is gone... B) :huh:

I have

Steering wheel bar

Huge chain through front wheel and around chassis

Battery cut off switch hidden

I would be interested in hearing more about imoblising the fuel pump - how do you wire that in will a simple hidden switch work ??

Cheers chris

Hidden GPMG in the sustained fire role aimed at drive entry point, claymores at likely tow vehicle parking areas, land (AP) mine beneath drive, cameras linked to mobile phone to give me 24/7 surveillance and remote control of defences so I can "discourage" them from taking the vehicle. Would be nice if it were true......

Failing that, I suggest going for multi-layered defences, e.g the obvious such as disklok or clutch claw, plus immobiliser (either electronic or a hidden isolator system), forensic marking such as smartwater.

Better still, lock up all pikeys forever :D .