Wrong fuel

GL88

What exactly happens if you put petrol into a diesel by mistake? I'd always assumed it just didn't run and was rectified by draining the tanks and fuel system, possibly dismantling the fuel system to flush then refill with the right juice so tedious but no damage to fix.

The reason I ask was that I was chatting to my father at the weekend and he mentioned that a friend had lent his boat to his children who'd filled it with petrol. It is a bit special (twin 400hp motors) but even so he's been quoted 10,000 euros per motor to fix! I'm at a loss to think what could possibly have gone that wrong. I can see that draining the tanks on a boat might be harder than my TD5 90 and I suppose it might have to come out of the water but even so...

My responce is that a boat=big bills especially if you go to some boatyards......Once you drain the tanks, then you should be able to judge how much damage has actually been done.

H

My responce is that a boat=big bills especially if you go to some boatyards......Once you drain the tanks, then you should be able to judge how much damage has actually been done.

H

I guess if boat engines are highly engineered like modern diesel engines in cars, the possibility if they ran them is that the fuel pump is damaged.

But it sounds like somebody has 'priced the site versus pricing the job ' - I would call the engine manufacturers and ask them what they would expect to have happened - but what I know about boat engines I can write on the head of a pin :lol:

H

I HAD A TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AND FILLED THAT UP WITH PETROL INSTED OF DEISEL DRAINED IT FILLED IT UP AGAIN WITH DEISEL THIS TIME AND IT WAS FINE YOUR MATES SHOULD BE TOO

It very much depends on the mixture (EG was the tank completely empty or half full of diesel) and if the engine has been run / tried to run. If tehy filled it with petrol, realised their mistake and drained it without turning the key then it would 99% sure be fine. If they ran it, damage can happen.

In my experience anything with the word "Marine" in it is 2-10x the price of normal.

I HAD A TOYOTA LANDCRUISER AND FILLED THAT UP WITH PETROL INSTED OF DEISEL DRAINED IT FILLED IT UP AGAIN WITH DEISEL THIS TIME AND IT WAS FINE YOUR MATES SHOULD BE TOO

Is your CAPS lock key broken? Or are you SHOUTING deliberately?

Chris

It used to be common practice to add petrol to diesel engines (up to about 25%) to stop it 'waxing' in very cold conditions. It may be different with more modern common rail injection systems - but IU would say, so long as the concentration is less than 25% - don't worry about it!

The pump running with a little less lubrication for a short while won't make much difference to it's life expectancy.

I think a lot of companies just view this kind of thing as a 'cash cow' and have your trousers down.

Si

What engines are in it?

Some marine engines use unit type pump / injectors such as the Detroit Deisels.

Last time I did any work on one of them it was about £170 for a recon unit - one per cylinder.

There is the best part of 3,000 Euro before you even start. ( Assuming two V8 engines here given the output )

Those little rascals don't like poor grade diesel, let alone petrol.

Two approaches:

Isn't this a situation suitable for an insurance claim?

The other approach discusses the relative responsibilities when letting ones child use an bit of kit without ensuring they know how to use it (when there have been many years in which to pass on that knowledge).

This encompasses the positive learning point for the rest of the readership, which is why I spent time on the keystrokes.

IE, If loaning kit, and especially if loaning to one of your own offspring, don't make the same mistake, of not teaching them how to use it.

The 'relative responsibilities' pun was unintentional, but I liked it, so I've left it in.

Regards.

When I returned the Freelander for some warranty work in Taunton

there was an older chap there with an S Type jag(new one) Diesel he had filled it with petrol, started it

then called the dealer(co located in Taunton) when it conked out.

They and I kid you not replaced

Fuel pump/Injectors/Fuel lines and he was there to have the tank replaced, this after he had been driving it around for a week or so

after the above were placed as they had to wait for delivery of the tank,

total cost was over 4k, met by his insurers, dealer claimed unless all were replaced they'd not honor any warranty.

Money for old rope I'd say

chap in our club has recently had to replace the engine in a new disco 3 due to the customer putting petrol in it.

ran it down the motorway and it started making funny noises and conked out.

basically wrecked the whole engine with damage to the pistons and heads and most of the fuel delivery system knacked.

£9000 sir...

suppose it depends on how stressed the engine is and what sort of tolerances the lump can withstand.

We had similar on one of our Jags Tony.

The nice dealer man said that unless we spent the money change all of the above, the warranty would be invalid.

We had a polite chat with Jag central and told them we knew they were extracting urine and told them if we had any warranty issues on the car we would discuss regardless of our actions.

We pulled the car out of the main stealer, drained and flushed, changed fuel filter and fired it up.

The car ran fine for the next 40k miles and then was sold.

Neil

For every few engines that are fine after a dose of petrol, and I've seen plenty, there will be one that isn't. The manufacturers are just playing it safe. They don't want to pick up the tab for your engine IF it goes wrong 10 or 20,000 miles after you miss fueled it.

Modern common rail diesels run incredibly high injection pressures and there is "potential" to do a lot of damage.

Be aware that in the event of a large warranty claim the manufacturer will ask for the vehicles fuel filter and a sample of fuel for chemical analysis.

Hi,

It's funny how different dealers either come through or take the P.

My mate took the sump out of his new Ferrari (sorry not trying to show off I am skint myself), any way totalled the engine and the underbody.

Dealer put it through as a Recall fix and minor engine work. Saved him £10K plus.

Marc.

my missus put 30 quids worth of petrol in my new Saab Tid on the way back from Edinburgh - it didn't conk out till she got back to Birmingham!

had to get the AA out to reset the ECU as it had gone into limp mode - put some diesel in and it was fine.

I mis-fueled it twice after that, once put 20 quid of petrol in - the car spluttered and died a couple of miles up the road, so topped it up with diesel, cranked over till it started again and it was fine.

Next time, I brimmed the tank with Petrol :( got the AA to bring it back home on a low loader, siphoned the petrol out and put diesel back in, all fine :)

It actually seemed to drive a bit better with a bit of petrol in the tank...