Look what i've just bought

tomcat404

post-1123-1224874999_thumb.jpgpost-1123-1224874816_thumb.jpg

Look what i've just bought?

Unimog 404 rolling chassis. I have seen a couple of project using the original chassis and axles and building from there on wards but has anybody out there any usefull suggestions? or indeed built such a buggy on a chassis designed to flex?

I don't intend to use the engine or box at all, but if i can utilise a u1000 transfer box I can have 2wd, 4wd High and low and difflock too ! all air actuated too ? and keep the torque tubes etc.

Any suggestions????

nath

The u1000 (424 / 427) 8 speed gearbox + transfer-box unit with the 2 planetary reduction boxes giving 24:24 gears probably weighs more than that 404 chassis + axels & drive train that you have on that trailer. ;)

Quite possibly i have heard the u number wrong when picking friends brians the other day, will have to pop round with pen and a pad next time... dare i say a u 900 the one with the bubble cab? definately air operated anyway,

Space frame ???? Like the idea ;) I do have a tomcat already and fancied building another on this chassis keeping it to the bare minimum, for weight reasons but i'm not too sure how not to affect the chassis flex ?

I'm in no real rush and this is all probably going to be a long ish build over the next year anyway.

Plus the 300tdi in the tc has just blown the head gasket !!

Please keep the ideas coming and any pictures if poss?

I might even do a build up thread if i have the time,

nath

mogs are cool!

i know nothing about them but here is one that may give you ideas.

705_1_1.jpg

705_2_1.jpg

Doug you are a sick man !!!! I have only managed to find one little piccy of that mog a few months ago !!! Where did you manage to find those pic's please?? any more ?

Anybody know where to get the spec's for that truck please?

He has a standard back axle with front swivel ends on? never seen that before??

FYI A mog 404 chassis is exactly the same as a range rover ?? The cab an body mounts are in exactly the correct place for a tomcat cage ? and an inductrial steam cleaner will take chassis paint of and fire it directly into your face !!!! ask me how i know that today !!!!!

take a look at The Mog Shop

I'm liking what they have done to their 404's and think along the same lines for mine.

MiniMog on t'other foum has a 411 to which he is fitting 404 axles which are bigger and then reusing the 411's under a Landy I believe.

08.jpg

Hi Rob, Thanks for the info,

already looked at the mog shop they have some great ideas for a 404, not sure what thier like for shipping parts etc but will give it a go? Dont suppose you know where the chassis number is exactly on a 404. Its on the passenger side i know( The mog being left hand drive of course) but really can't find it?

thanks

nath

Tom

Both front and rear axle casing's are identical, rears are fitted with a spacer instead of a swivel so converting yours would just require a pair of swivels and shafts. Id just use the axles and put them under a lightweight buggy. Keep the pics coming

Rob

I'd put some nice Rover axles under it :ph34r:

LANDROVER AXLES PROBABLY NOT LOL :lol:

thanks for all the ideas, im just wiating for the dvla to send the paperwork back before i decided what to do,

Rob... are the portal swivel ends a bolt on job? for the rear axles apart from the shafts?

from looking all over the next possibilities are endless !!

A tomcat cage will excatly fit ontop of the notmal mounts, but i'm not too sure how a cage will affect the flex of the chassis?

We shall have to wait and see !

anybody got some 404 rims and tyres knocking around they don't need??

nath

Hi Nath.

Nice little project.

Yes you can just replace the spacer pieces on the rear axle with swivels from front axles if you want 4WS. Have a look at yours - its just bolts.

The cage will give significant stiffening, depending on how you mount it, which will spoil the chassis twisting element of the Mog.

If you mount it using the shackle type mounts used for the load bed you could save the chassis flex - though you might find with significantly less weight on it, it won't flex too much anyway. Better off a little heavier to get the most from that.

Yes, I might have some wheels and tyres going spare.

Cheers, Al.

Hi Nath.

Nice little project.

Yes you can just replace the spacer pieces on the rear axle with swivels from front axles if you want 4WS. Have a look at yours - its just bolts.

The cage will give significant stiffening, depending on how you mount it, which will spoil the chassis twisting element of the Mog.

If you mount it using the shackle type mounts used for the load bed you could save the chassis flex - though you might find with significantly less weight on it, it won't flex too much anyway. Better off a little heavier to get the most from that.

Yes, I might have some wheels and tyres going spare.

Cheers, Al.

Hi Al,

Its been a while! Don't know if you remember but i have tomcat on 404's the only problem is the wheel base is far too short and I really need to shove the axles forward and back to increae the wheel base. Dirty diesel did the disk conversion too.

I just could turn down the rolling chassis at the time i'm sure you know how it is ! :blink:

With the rear steer does that mean i can use the same shaft already on the back? just changing the end? that being the case I might take the axles of the tc and swap the ends over for a rock crawling mog build?using the disks etc with a longer tc body and pto winches from our friend Jerzy in poland?

nath

Hi Nath - thought it was you from the WBBSC!

The rear shafts go through the spacer piece and directly into the portal box, the front shafts are shorter to allow width for the wiggly joing and knuckle in general, so no, you need front shafts too. You could get some made up if they are elusive.

Maybe DD can help you again if he is still around? Not sure what he's up to nowadays.

If you go for the Mog-based crawler, try to build the winch mounts sympathetically regarding chassis twist. If you weld in a solid mount at both ends (and maybe the middle too) you'll be limiting flex still further.

I still think its a hell of a vehicle to base it on though - just needs a little thought.

Cheers, Al.

Is eliminating chassis twist really an issue if you are redesigning the suspension anyway?

Surely the extra travel from the "extreme" (sorry :ph34r::lol: ) suspension setup will compensate for the lack of chassis twist?

Or am I missing something..... :blink:

Thats interesting about the front portal/shaft etc being a direct fit on the rear....I've been thinking the same for my 2 404's - 4WS and re body /cage . The biggest draw back with the 404 is the std gearbox's lack of ratios and cost of pto units too . The only real solution to that is 4 linking the axles and fitting complete eng+trans to suit the diff offsets. There is a bit of info over on Difflock mog section about converting the std 404 g/box to 8 speed which maybe another option, thus keeping the std torque tubes.

I think the chassis is some sort of high grade steel, and whatever steel it is , it's still a big no-no to weld cross members to it as it would make it too rigid plus creating stress loads where there shouldn't be. Drill and bolt or rivet as per original.

The 'neutral' point of the chassis is at the rear of the transfer case . The std cab has a single ctr pivot above this and mounts either side at the front.

Those pic's are off a thread on Pirate iirc - looking close at the cab it appears to be a moulding - grp? anyone know anything?

I have some spare wheels too and a few other bits....

Cheers

Steveb