Foot Slipped Off Pedal!

hattymender

Coming home from a day's not shooting (bog all doing, rabbits on holiday?) with muddy boots my foot slipped off the clutch pedal! Fortunately in the middle of nowhere so no harm done but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see it could have been nasty.

The pedal rubbers are quite new so I'm thinking along the lines of something a bit more 'grippy' for muddy boots/wellys. Anybody tried checker plate or similar?

Have a change of shoes?

I don't mean change them on and off when your off roading but when its time for home, bin the muddy boots in the back, give the pedals a quick wipe and pop on your clean dry shoes.

I did have a change, but as I was just going from field to field I didn't bother. Also, I've done the 'hop on one foot, and fall over in mud' game many, many times. It's not always handy to change and I think Defender's make the problem worse by having such a heavy clutch.

I've had my foot slip off nice new rubber pedal covers.

I copied this idea from somebody else. I've not had a problem since.

img3057ax3.th.jpg

Noitce the bigger brake and throttle pedal pads. My foot no longes slips off the throttle pedal.

Cheap and effective.

The pads are screwed to the original pedals. The pedals are drilled an tapped with a nut on the back at each screw.

mike

If fitting pedal extensions/covers like:

fw144o.gif

do be careful as a lot of insurance companies will either not insure you or will bump up the premiums as they class them as 'performance enhancements'.

Apparently it can make Heel-and-toe driving easier as the pedals are closer together.

I kid you not. I had to take mine off after Elephant said that it would void my insurance.

FFS

:rolleyes:

EDIT:

I have had the pedal covers upstairs in the bedroom for over 2 years after removing them, and within 5 minutes of posting this message, the wife came downstairs with them asking what I wanted to do with them. Talk about coincidence!

Probably worth mentioning that the brake pedal (and clutch?) will fail the MOT without a rubber non-slip surface.

I think you will have to leave the word "rubber" out...... A series didn't have pedal rubbers fitted as standard. They had welded bars on them.......Non slip the pedals have to be....Weld mesh over the pedals helps a well

As for a distance between the pedals. Try driving a pre-war Lagonda. I use to have to take my shoes off to reach the throttle between the clutch and the brake.....

I took my rubbers off because I got fed up of having to wipe my feet every time I got into the car with wet feet....The wet footwell didn't help either.....

mike

It's not always practicable to change footwear every time you want to move the vehicle especially when you're out shooting or doing something similar. I always make a point of doing a bit of tyre kicking or puddle paddling just before getting in which usually removes the worst of the mire.

I've had my foot slip off nice new rubber pedal covers.

I copied this idea from somebody else. I've not had a problem since.

img3057ax3.th.jpg

Noitce the bigger brake and throttle pedal pads. My foot no longes slips off the throttle pedal.

Cheap and effective.

The pads are screwed to the original pedals. The pedals are drilled an tapped with a nut on the back at each screw.

mike

Ditto!

It's not always practicable to change footwear every time you want to move the vehicle especially when you're out shooting or doing something similar. I always make a point of doing a bit of tyre kicking or puddle paddling just before getting in which usually removes the worst of the mire.

Me too, a quick scrape on the bumper takes most of it off.

Probably worth mentioning that the brake pedal (and clutch?) will fail the MOT without a rubber non-slip surface.

As others have said this doesn't seem to be the case. My S1 has passed over 40 MoT's without having any pedal rubbers fitted.

You could always get some wellies with steel studded soles rather than rubber. Hunter make them (or used to).

EDIT:

I have had the pedal covers upstairs in the bedroom for over 2 years after removing them, and within 5 minutes of posting this message, the wife came downstairs with them asking what I wanted to do with them. Talk about coincidence!

Madcowz, luxury, I have to keep my Land Rover parts in the shed.

What about sticking some of the sandpaper type non slip sheets you can get for boat decks and safety strips on stairs?

Cheers

G :)

:unsure: I strongly second this motion!! ;) I have "sandpapered" every slippery corner even at home- bathroom in particular!! :P

EDIT:

Madcowz, luxury, I have to keep my Land Rover parts in the shed.

:P I even have to beg to get them in the shed! My " shed castle" is soon taken over!! :o

TBH I reckon some of the measures here would still get fouled up PDQ. Besides, what if you want to drive in your best pair of bespoke Lobb brogues ...spikes and sandpaper are going to make the regular sole repair bills pretty steep ;)

A few seconds knocking or scraping the mud off your boots before getting in is what I've always done ...and it's cheaper too.