and another illegal car on ebay...

stobbie

And the reply....

The previous owner converted it to coils and he was a mechanic, so

I assume that he would have gone through the correct roads to

make it road legal, but I dont know what an SVA is, so I am not

100% sure to be honest with you..

As Mark says could be a Rangie Chassis.

According to DVLA it's a 1971 3.5 litre Petrol. So it isn't registered correctly but could have once been a range rover V8? Not sure on exact years of Range Rovers?

Even so it would need chassis mods to put the different rear cross member on so would still technically need an SVA

The problem is that we don't where the 90 came from! I don't care about people trying to avoid road tax, but I do care about people stealing our cars and then put an 'old' series identity on it!

Don't say that this is a stolen car, but if he cannot proove where he bought all the ninety parts from, it just might be....

The insurance would be invalid - however even in this case the insurance company have to honour the 3rd party liability part which means you'd get your money from their insurance, they however would get nothing.

More to the point the MOT is worthless, it needs an SVA and new reg plate (Q) and has no tax because its not genuinely exempt!

western,you beet me to it,i for one don,t condone what to all intents is cloning,how ever,back in the day(pre sva)i built a "90" using a donor rangerover,then bought all the panels second hand,it was quite a common thing to do.i declared it to my local dvla office(ipswich)a nice man came out,had a look,had a cup of tea,had another look,i ended up keeping the original number,so for all the whiter than white premadoner say lots but build nothing,don,t assume everyone is a thief,or has done something illegal,some of these trucks have been around for a while,there is a fella doing a few challenge events using a fronteror bodied rangerover,i remember when that truck was an eagle rv bodied range rover.lots all stop doing vosas,s job for them,because who knows if they view forums like this one?

Are you sure about this?

If the modifications were disclosed to the insurance provider when the policy was started/renewed, its up to the insurers to decide if they wish to take on the liability or not. If they accepted the vehicle at the outset of the cover, the insurance company would have no option but to honour the insurance at the cover level supplied.

With regard to the MOT being valid this only covers the items on the vehicle at the time of testing so how the MOT would be invalid I really don’t know. The MOT has nothing to do with the legal status of the car only the testable items.

So if the vehicle was built PRE SVA then insurance and MOT are NOT an issue providing all modifications are disclosed to the insurance provider. However if the vehicle was build POST SVA then the only things in question are its identity and suitability to being on the public highway.

If it needs an SVA and doesnt have one then the MOT in invalid because the SVA comes first thus rendering everything after completely worthless unless its been done (which it hasnt).

Regardless of declaring mods, if the car does need an SVA then the insurance company would void the cover and thus reduce it to the min required (TPO) by the road traffic law in event of an accident - they have an option as to honor or not any policy and are very good at wriggling, somthing like this would provide them with no worries at all when it comes to not paying!

If its pre SVA yes, correct there are no issues - however if its post SVA then its illegal, uninsured, untaxed and not mot'd. (altho it doesnt have an mot anyway)

Umm, interesting comment about the built pre SVA.

According to an article in Practical Performance Car(PPC) which discusses mods and SVA etc, this question is asked by the magazine of the DVLA... to quote the published response

"Question from PPC.... Heavily modified cars or kits built before 1997 are exempt from a retrospective SVA. How are owners supposed to prove that their car was constructed prior to that date?

DVLA... The owner can provide a number of pre 1998 MOT cetificates which give both the VIN, registration mark and which indicate a kit's make/model details.

PPC... What are owners of extensively modified cars built after 1997 but that have benn on the road and effectively legal for five years or so expected to do regarding an SVA test?

DVLA...Where there is substantial evidence that a vehicle was modified or converted prior to the introduction of SVA in 1997 consideration will be given to changing the vehicle record without SVA being required. However, it is a legal requirement to notify changes to a vehicles details, and vehicles modified to that extent after that date will require the necessary evidence"

Equally it is possible if you use one of the online vehicle checks using reg details, for these to be incorrect.... i tried, my kitcar which was SVA'd in 1999, is listed as a convertible but has make and model as UNKNOWN, the V5 i have states Make Robin Hood, Model Exmo.

Equally, my ex Hybrid, built here, when doing same reg check still lists as a RRC, as a pickup, but the V5, after a DVLA inspection, who deemed SVA not needed, changed the details and removed the model description from the actual paper document.

So sometimes things are not as straight forward as we might like to think.