Billing v Newark

MrsBob

I was at the meeting on Saturday evening and witnessed some of the events in the bar area following the meeting. If it were my money then I know where I would be heading based on the events both in and out of the meeting room. I was on the fence before, now it is Billing for me, all doubt removed.

Chris

I was also at that meeting and I think it will be fair to say that certain peoples passions were running high. Personally I hope that the calmer more logical decisions will be made by all parties concerned now.

Some of the deliberately stirring that has been going on by certain 'interested' parties has not endeared them to other parties. There is room for all concerns to trade without slagging off the competition which certain people appear to use as a standard marketing tool. Personally I will only buy from traders who I percieve to have decent business ethos and give good unbiased advice and do not slag off the competition.

There are two lists of traders who are going to attend NEWARK and BILLING. Interesting thing is some traders are on both list, so covering both bases?? Other traders have stated that they will not do any show in July if both run!

Maybe there should be a gentlemens agreement in future years between the show organisers not to have a 'national' show on the same weekend and that preferably there should only be one large/national show per month. This would enable the companies time to recover between shows and allow the show groupies time for their finances to recover.

Personally I will not be attending any major show for the foreseeable future as a paying visitor as I consider the total cost of the whole package (entry fee/camping/offroad course/beer/hot food/fuel etc) too expensive. I would rather put that money into my vehicles/trips. Also the shows are so 'samey' nothing new and invigorating at them. I know I am not the only one who thinks like that.

Maybe show organisers should pay some attention to get more of the ex show attendees back

Regards

Brendan

Also the shows are so 'samey' nothing new and invigorating at them. I know I am not the only one who thinks like that.

Regards

Brendan

I know exactly what you mean. I havn't seen much change from the first show (LROI Peterborough)

to Malvern and Peterborough last year. The only differences have been cost (increasing) and bargains

decreasing.

Plus I now own a LR vehicle that doesn't seem to be targeted by the aftermarket parts community.

So to be honest 'the shows' don't really have anything to offer, especially now as it is a pain to get to the

UK by car.

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

2 Condoning bad / dirty ablutions.

3 Overcrowding.

Because those have been the main complaints over the last "X" number of years about Billing.

We have made the decision NOT to attend either show. We will keep our money in our pockets.

mike

P.S didn't know you were a trader Brendon

pps Most shows we go to as a club entry. No payment. I'm still not going even for free.

mike

We have made the decision NOT to attend either show. We will keep our money in our pockets.

mike

pps Most shows we go to as a club entry. No payment. I'm still not going even for free.

mike

I have never claimed to be a trader Mike.

I have no commercial or business interest in the 4 x 4 world accept as a paying customer

Regards

Brendan

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

3 Overcrowding.

Because those have been the main complaints over the last "X" number of years about Billing.

mike

What utter rubbish!

1&2. STAYING at the show concerned WHILE it was going on would be condoning,

Never going again regardless of who is running it and without giving them a chance is Cutting of your nose to spite your face!

3. Without you, that's one less :P:P

But you are entitled to your own opinion.

Lara.

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

3 Overcrowding.

mike

Things are stolen from shops etc everyday, according to you we should stop going anywhere and close everything down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

3 Overcrowding.

mike

mike

Nonsense Mike, you should know better.

Mo

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

3 Overcrowding.

We've all heard the broken promises from the organisers in the past that they would improve security, provide better toilet facilities etc.....I've not seen any improvement in the years that I've been going so I can agree with what Mike says.

Over crowding though is a contributing feature of the shows success so I wouldn't say that was a reason not to go.

If people were to boycot Billing for justifiable reasons like what Mike has given then just maybe the organisers would sit up and listen. But if you still keep paying top dollar for poor services then they will still continue to provide them without making improvements.

I'm going to Newark...it's a new place so perhaps a new broom will sweep clean.

For the sake of clarity, it is the same broom that has (for better or worse) swept Billing for the last two years.

Live events, the company organising the show at Billing Aquadrome this year, have managed to make a good job of Peterborough for the last couple of years.

Chris

The main complaints about Billing have always been the Toilets and Security - for as long as I can remember.

Billing only provide their own Toilets and Security - anything else is up to the show organiser.

I'm not necessarily saying that Live Events will do a better job - but some of the blame for these must be taken by the previous organisers. There is no reason that the same organisers will do a better job in a different location.

Si

I'm going to Billing this year, my reasoning is quite simple.

Newark is three hours of motorway driving in a tin can, Northampton is only two.

Not sure why most people seem to think Newark is so much further*. If you live in the South East you just come up the A1 rather than the M1

From the North it's closer

from the Midlands it's 6 and 2x3

Say you are travelling from Stafford, Newark is closer but the roads are a little smaller. No real issue in a land rover, Trunk roads and Motorways are always about the same.

*This is not meant as an endorsement of Newark the Show venue or Newark the place. I lived there for a while and have attended many shows (kit cars mainly) I would not sing it's praises for either although I would rather go to a show than move there..

Reading all of this..

Those who go to Billing

1 Are condoning theft.

3 Overcrowding.

mike

mike

Alright. I'll put it another way with a bigger hammer.

If you go to Billing then you haven't got the courage of your own convictions.

mike

No offence, but I think it's further because it is :P

I'll be going from my home address in Sussex (in Stafford for uni at the moment), so...

Sussex to Newark - 177 miles

Sussex to Northampton - 108 miles

If I was going from Stafford then there wouldn't be much in it, as you say.

Would you mind working out how far Newark and Billing are from Dubai? I only go to one Land Rover show per year and having seen the pathetic list of traders attending Newark I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

We've all heard the broken promises from the organisers in the past that they would improve security, provide better toilet facilities etc.....I've not seen any improvement in the years that I've been going so I can agree with what Mike says.

Over crowding though is a contributing feature of the shows success so I wouldn't say that was a reason not to go.

If people were to boycot Billing for justifiable reasons like what Mike has given then just maybe the organisers would sit up and listen. But if you still keep paying top dollar for poor services then they will still continue to provide them without making improvements.

As simon says, You will be following the "old broom" and probably the dust it sweeps!

It is rather poor form to ask for improvements,

get promised those improvements by a new company with a good track record,

and then not go!

But worse still, to then go to the show of the old company who you complained about!!!

Lara

Would you mind working out how far Newark and Billing are from Dubai? I only go to one Land Rover show per year and having seen the pathetic list of traders attending Newark I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

Don't worry Streaky, as they are on at the same time, Billing is only an hour away so you can go there if Newark is useless! :lol: :lol: And there's an upside, you now get to go to two shows a year ;)

Maybe LRM, should put on a beer bus between the two and bus people in to Newark for the day from Billing! ;) ;)