Battery cut off switch

white90

Those "red" ones wont take winching current for very long

The ones LR90 has got are great but not cheap.

For MogLite the battery cut-off switch needs to kill the engine too, so I'm using a motorsports battery cut off with alternator protection, and then I'm using a solenoid to enable the electric winch, like warn did/does on their CE wiring kits.

I use this on the lightweight:

60520.GIF

Security battery isolator switch.

Removable key in the 'on; and 'off' positions.

Includes 2 keys.

100Amps @ 24v, 500A for 5 secs.

Very neat when installed and a little bit of security. Probably won't hande winching currents for long though.

What do you want to use the switch for? Vehicle battery or winch battery?

Mark

Whats available

what have you fitted

I'm after one that shuts the engine down and isolates the batteries

recommendations and pics gratefully accepted

I use an FIA battrey master switch.

Not a bad price at around thirty quid.

I get mine from Vehicle Wiring Products but if you have a race shop near they should have them in stock.

Page 9 in VWP catalogue.

Yes it stops the enging when you switch it off.AFASIK it is the only one that does.

If you are using a second battry that you want to have accessories usable all the time please use another type of switch with a different key,that way the FIA switch acts as a security device.

Scroll down the page for the really heavy duty ones to use with a winch.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

My reccomendation would be to fit an isolator for the engine & vehicle, but not the winch(es)

The switch will loose you about 100A of max current delivery (as it has a small resistance). You already have perfectly good solenoid switches on the winch. Just move them somewhere more secure and isolate the socket into which you plug your winch controller with either a small switch or a relay energised when your ignition is live for example.

That way, your isolator switch only has to handle the starter motor current - and general vehicle electrics and allows the max current delivery to your winch.

This in turn means that one of the red key isolators is just about up to the job.

Switch off the isolator and everything, inc the winch is off.

Si

Hella PN 4653

5000A at 12V for 10 sec, 100A continuous.

4653.jpg

I have one of these - cost about £28 from our local auto electrics place.

previously had the little red key version , but that just got a little warm and melted away.

I must admit not feeling comfortable about not isolating the winch from the rest of the motor, but thats just me.

The Hella type shown above with the metal L shaped key is (or an extremely similar one) is also used on the John Deere tele. forklifts (and Combines IIRC)... if you've got a JD dealer near you, I'm off work for 2 weeks otherwise I could get the part No. That said it would possibly be cheaper from another source.

James.

I use an FIA battrey master switch.

Not a bad price at around thirty quid.

I get mine from Vehicle Wiring Products but if you have a race shop near they should have them in stock.

Page 9 in VWP catalogue.

Yes it stops the enging when you switch it off.AFASIK it is the only one that does.

I'm using one of these too for the engine and associated electrics.

Desciption by VWP is:

Battery isolator switch with alternator protection. Designed to prevent damage to alternator & electrical systems when isolating the battery. Isolates main battery feed as well as the ignition feed, thus preventing engine run on,(obligatory in competition). 10mm terminal studs. It looks like this:

bisfia.jpg

The winch is also isolated through this by using it in conjuction with my own version of the Warn Power Interupt Kit

I'm using one of these too for the engine and associated electrics.

Desciption by VWP is:

Battery isolator switch with alternator protection. Designed to prevent damage to alternator & electrical systems when isolating the battery. Isolates main battery feed as well as the ignition feed, thus preventing engine run on,(obligatory in competition). 10mm terminal studs. It looks like this:

bisfia.jpg

The winch is also isolated through this by using it in conjuction with my own version of the Warn Power Interupt Kit

Now that in my opinion is THE way to do it with a winch fitted.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

I've got a red key type one. It was wired in by someone who better at electrics than me after my first effort let the smoke out.... :huh: Not entirly sure how its done but it cuts EVERYTHING although it doesn't take the winching current (I think its been done by taking the feed to activate the winch cut off solinoids from the started battery, not the winch one). Since fitting I've had no problems with battery discharge, either.

Got on of these to fit for my anderson plugs/jump sockets/leads.

Hella Marine. pt number 6ek 002 843-011, red key type,

info on box says

master switch, seawater proof, type of protection IPX4 [din 40 050]

12v max 1000amps [10 secs]

SWITCH

also have one already fitted for the Husky winch battery, never had any problems when doing heavy/long winching jobs :D

or this one http://www.hellamarine.com/?t=3&View=FullStory&productID=214 :D