insurance insanity!

jack54turbo

Hi all

i am at my witts end!!!!!, i am 18 years old and have been driving my 1996 300tdi defender about 6mnths

i pay two thousand pounds a year :blink: ahhhhhhhh

im sick of it, why should i!!!!!, i am a good, safe , and considerate driver, not some yob in nova or a corsa!

so please all any help would be appreciated

thanks all

jack

"£$% that is high

Not really, not for an inner city postcode.

To give a comparison, a quote for me where I am now on a Defender is £1,500 with pass plus, no incidents and one year's no claims bonus. If I get a quote for out in the country, it's £700. I'm 19 years old too.

Not really, not for an inner city postcode.

To give a comparison, a quote for me where I am now on a Defender is £1,500 with pass plus, no incidents and one year's no claims bonus. If I get a quote for out in the country, it's £700. I'm 19 years old too.

haha i live in kings langley hertfordshire, i may look into pass plus

Guest noggy

mines £1487 without pass plus and im 18

passplus gives you an extra year of NCB - which i dont have

i also have my tractor license which has been taken into account.

Not surprising, unfortunately however good you are statistically most youngsters (esp. blokes) will stack it in their first few years. If you haven't already, do pass plus and then shop round for some NCB - I did it and insured with Provident who at the time credited 1 year's NCB for doing it (rather than just a one-off discount), which has actually stayed with me for (eek) 10 years now, saving me piles of cash in total.

Unfortunately you are driving a "prestige" car, are young, and by the sound of it also live in a location with high insurance.

Keep at it mate, drive safely and it will get better :)

In my line of 'normal cars', I had a Corsa ( :ph34r: ) for which I paid something over a grand for my first year's insurance. Then my second year on that came to around £800-900. Then I bought my current car, 2000 1.6 Focus, which I paid £600 on last year and just renewed at the beginning of this month for a smidgin over £400, with my now three years NCB :)

My Defender is around £500, with no NCB (used on the Focus). I'm 20 now, for reference. That's all fully comp, on 10,000 miles a year, living in RH10 postcode.

So as I say, it will improve as time goes on. Just drive safely, if you do have an accident which is shown to be your fault, your premiums will go through the roof. Same goes for motoring convictions such as speeding etc (plus there's the risk in the first two years of losing your license).

I'm 26 (the magic number) and drive a v8 90- i did the classic bump someone at a roundabout last year when they pulled away and then changed their mind... (I never even look right now until i am at the head of the queue :lol: ) I currently pay £460, third party fire and theft, with the ability to drive anyones car third party only- this is quite handy. I'm sure it would have been much cheaper with the NCB, and surprisngly only cost me about £100 more when i put the v8 in. Thats with the Flux, varied reports about them on here- my experience has been fine.

My youngest brother who is 17 has recently been getting quoted something like £1900 at the cheapest to drive his 2.25 petrol series 3... That was when they would quote at all... Ouch!

im in the same boat mate, i wanted a 90 this year but cannot get insured on it. i drive a 306 at the moment which i hate but insurance is £600 iver the £1600 ive been quoted. its rediculous though i got a quote on my bobtail from adrian flux(or might have been sureturm) and that was £2500 with winches, big mud tyres, stuped suspension ect. how do they work it out! i am not surprised that so many teenagers dont declare modifications made.

Find yourself an old sieres 3 like I did, my first year was £850 and droped every year after that.

I am now and have been for 4 years able to insure a 1996 300Tdi, modified, fully comp and with protected no clames for less than £300 aged 25. Its hard and anopyed me for the first coupel of year but dose get better.

My advice get something without a turbo.

Mark

Have you tried limiting the mileage??

Even though I am 28, I have had the benefit of having my NCD removed for me!! I found that limiting the mileage caused a significant reduction to my premium...

Have a serious think about what mileage you actually need to do and work from there. I don't remember the last time my Insurance company actually asked me for actual mileage readings..... :ph34r:

Have you tried limiting the mileage??

Even though I am 28, I have had the benefit of having my NCD removed for me!! I found that limiting the mileage caused a significant reduction to my premium...

Have a serious think about what mileage you actually need to do and work from there. I don't remember the last time my Insurance company actually asked me for actual mileage readings..... :ph34r:

Mine asks every year.

Marc.

its something they'd only ever ask for in an accident mate...

Same with when you declare any previous accidents or convictions, they'll not actually check, until they have to pay out.

One nice little trick you can often use, is to add named drivers who are low risk, and especially females, such as your mother, auntie and neighbour down the road. Made of mine saved quite a bit doing that, ended up with about 4 named drivers on the policy.

Other option which is technically illegal, is you could look at insuring the vechicle in your parents name with yourself as a named driver, or on an "any driver" policy.

When my brother passed his test we insured his car in dads name, with an "any driver" option on the policy, and that was a good bit cheaper than him insuring it himself.

Find yourself an old sieres 3 like I did, my first year was £850 and droped every year after that.

Put a 1 infront of the 850 to get closer to what I was getting quotes for. See my earlier post for reasons why.

The cheapest quotation I have got is £880 so far this year and was from Footman James on a young driver classic policy. Everywhere else was £1,500 and up.

An issue some people may now be experiencing too is that a lot of the cheaper insurance companies don't touch anything over 25 years old.... so that's nearly all leafers out of the equation there.

I can reduce my premium by adding my wife as a named driver to the policy.

I find this quite incredible considering she has made 3 claims in the last 3 years (not all her fault, I will give her credit for that) and I have 20 years of no claims.

Doesn't make sense but their computer says she is less of a risk than I am :rolleyes:

I can reduce my premium by adding my wife as a named driver to the policy.

I find this quite incredible considering she has made 3 claims in the last 3 years (not all her fault, I will give her credit for that) and I have 20 years of no claims.

Doesn't make sense but their computer says she is less of a risk than I am :rolleyes:

They might have something there given your ability to get stuck in a field :D

John

Hi all

i am at my witts end!!!!!, i am 18 years old and have been driving my 1996 300tdi defender about 6mnths

i pay two thousand pounds a year :blink: ahhhhhhhh

im sick of it, why should i!!!!!, i am a good, safe , and considerate driver, not some yob in nova or a corsa!

so please all any help would be appreciated

thanks all

jack

We have all been there once, it's a right of passage :D

John

Join a car club - I am a member of a few others (Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club and the Mitsubishi Lancer Register) and Flux knocked 10% off my premium on the discovery. only £40 to me, but £200 for you...worth a try!

Although on the face of it, premiums seem high - they are based on pretty solid statistics. If you don't have much of a record built up, all they can go on are the stats.

One other option which may not apply these days is Military Vehicle insurance. My first Land Rover (in 1988) was an Ex Air Force Series 2 which I insured with A C Miles for £69 fully comp! The policy was limited to 2000 miles and didn't build up any no claims - but it made my first few years driving pretty cheap. Typical policy cost from anyone else was between £600 and £800 at the time for the same vehicle.

Si

I am 18, have pass plus, live in a B rated postcode and also put my retired mother on my policy and its £1312 per year 3rd party F+F on a R reg 1.8D fiesta van, to be fair i wrote off a 300tdi 130 in november (no other partys involved) but honest to god the extra £688 you pay is worth it just to be on the road in a landy.

I am with the RAC as they give a sizeable discount for PP (they beat everyone else buy at least £200).

How long did you spend on the phone ringing round? In the 4 hours i spent i went from over £5k to what i pay now.

Will. (Also slightly miffed at being charged alot for being young)