*******BRITPART QUALITY UPDATE*******

Les Henson

I just attempted to fit a Britpart rear crossmember with extensions to a 110. Welds look better - even continuous in a few places, no bits of metal obviously out of line or bent, welding in general looks quite good.

BUT-

Chassis rail gap inside is an inch less than it should be (24" instead of the standard 25")

The body mounting tab holes vary from correct position on average 6mm.

Floor support is 10mm lower than it should be, but at least only one end :)

Same old, same old :(

Les.

Body mount brackets have been welded on at incorrect angle, hence half price.

You could buy them, remove the tabs and put them in the right place, then sell them at a profit. Mind you - there might be other problems................ :rolleyes:

Les.

i had a rad deleiverd last week.....a britpart rad for a 300 tdi discovery......

now , britpart COULDNT get that wrong could they????

well it had us stumped for a while as its wouldnt fit in the cage.....turns out it was 1/4 inch too tall. called paddocks who found out they had already had 4 come back to them with the same problem... beware there is a BAD batch going around....

funny i needed a clutch for the disco aswell and totaly side stepped britaprt :lol:

It is much more likely that we hear about the horror stories of Britpart parts than the good ones. So...just for completeness - I have Britpart brake shoes, inner wing panels, flexihoses and clutch slave on a S3 and all work/fit perfectly.

That doesn't mean to say I haven't had dodgy Britpart stuff (wheel bearings lasting 500 miles spring to mind...)- just that some of their stuff does work...sometimes.

Ok guys but where is the best place to get parts or is it the case that different parts needed have to be bought from different places who supply the best part or parts.

Any chance of a list of recommended suppliers.

I need a head gasket for a 2.5nad, sump gasket, and thermo gasket where would be the best place to get these? :(

A list would be a big help if allowed on the forum.

I do know this forum is an Independent Forum and a really helpful one at that.

I've just baught a pile of blue box parts for my Cheap Disco V8 project.

fan belt and oil filter, well they cant really go wrong...

Two trailing arm donut bushes, might not last forever but they were 3 quid each so i hope they'll at least last a year or two.

Clutch slave cylinder, proably the most questionable purchase in this batch, but we'll see how it goes!

The appeared to be out of stock of the alternator belt, as it says "To follow" on the invoice...

I won't touch Britpart again, shocking quality.

Just some of the Britpart horrors I have bought -

Speedo cable - lasted 15k miles

Rear brake drums - poorly machined and were oval meaning the brakes can't be adjusted properly

Brake master cylinder - went on in worse condition than the 20 year old one it replaced and needs to be binned.

Alternator - lasted for 120 miles then the bearings collapsed sending the pulley fan through the casing.

water pump - did about 8k before expiring.

I'll only touch genuine, Bearmach or allmakes gear now.

Went to fit a set of hinges onto a defender last weekend. The hinges were supplied as 'a quality replacement part, definitely not britpart sir' - guess what turned up...

We used the old hinges as after 15 years, they still had less play in that the new ones in blue boxes....

And if you compare them with genuine ones... The proper hinges have a notch in each end to let oil in when you take the time. The Britpart variety looks like it has the notch, but it's just a dimple. Not any better if they come from Allmakes though. <_<

only good britpart bit I've had so far is their HD track rods, ordered OEM TRE's just to be on the safe side, the rods were very nice though. but pretty everything else has expired long before it's time!!

I have just had to fit a britpart waterpump as i couldnt get a genuine anywhere and was desperate, the place i bought from only keeps these as a last resort and apologised profusely for having to sell it to me and gave me discount, he also stated check it regularly as it will fail :( i,m now paranoid :o