2nd hand Mach 5's - what are they worth?

Les Henson

I've got the opportunity to buy 4 x Mach 5's with 2/3rds worn Goodrich M/T tyres - 265/75/16.

The guy is open to offers, but I don't know what they are worth.

Rims are slightly rusty in places, but otherwise fine.

Anyone got an idea to what they might be worth?

Les.

Les they have got to be worth £200 for the four ,

I have always ran Mach 5`s and love em they are as strong as you like , The only problem I have is big stones passing through them when your bogging ,and ripping the brake callipers off .

As Tony mentioned they had a problem with welding of the spokes , But this was very early ones , and have been modified for some years now .

Les they have got to be worth £200 for the four ,

I have always ran Mach 5`s and love em they are as strong as you like , The only problem I have is big stones passing through them when your bogging ,and ripping the brake callipers off .

As Tony mentioned they had a problem with welding of the spokes , But this was very early ones , and have been modified for some years now .

I have an early set and they have been fine, not ever had a weld failure, leak or balancing issue. I also have the later set with rolled edges, last year a new Mach 5 would set you back £160 with postage and then it needs painting, so if you want to sell them at least £200 for a set of four and do not listen to Messrs Senior Watts and Tony White 90, they hate Mach 5's, I love them (Mach 5's that is!) :lol:

I sold a later style set of 5 in good condition, powder coat just beginning to rust, last month for £500 without rubber.

Devon 4x4 price each powder coated is £193.55

Here - http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1740c4...x16-silver.html

I note Devon 4x4 are now stocking ZU's the alloy Mach 5 look alike as well at £143.75

Les it depends on condition.

If you have to re-powder coat, which means blasting etc., it could set you back £40-50/wheel for a proper job.

John

excuse my ignorance ...... which edge is rolled? the lip of the rim?

and how was it before? just pressed?

I've got a set to look at too.

Lip of the rim where the tyre rests against

The early ones you can measure the material thickness, later rolled edge you cannot view the material thickness due to the rolling, which makes the later stronger but I think more susceptable to getting stones / wood between rim and tyre

Later Mach 5's had the back face of boss (where it mates with vehicle axle) machined which does help a bit to get them balanced

Devon 4x4 are doing a special on 16x8 mach 5 bead locks set of four powder coated black for £249 including vat and delivery! im tempted to buy a new set cause i was just going to get my set blasted and powder coated and that was going cost over £200.

Devon 4x4 are doing a special on 16x8 mach 5 bead locks set of four powder coated black for £249 including vat and delivery! im tempted to buy a new set cause i was just going to get my set blasted and powder coated and that was going cost over £200.

I think thats only for one wheel. Won't be all 4! I hope I'm wrong though & I'd buy a set at that price.

When I first had my "rolled edge" 4.5 inch offset Mach5's, and then had them zinc dipped, which I love,and then had a set of Grizzly Claws fitted at Bronco in Leek,

the young lad asked "do you want them balancing mate ?", anyway after I stopped laughing we put one on the machine, it was 680 grammes out in one place,

"shall I use stick on weights mate?", " NO son was the reply, if they come off at 60MPH and hit some poor soul on the footpath, it will probably kill them, its like a steel bag of sugar being thrown at you !".

Would I swap my rolled edged Mach5's, NO I WON'T, thank you, I love em.

I think thats only for one wheel. Won't be all 4! I hope I'm wrong though & I'd buy a set at that price.

Hmm, just been back to devon4x4 page again and it is now £246.10 for one!!! im either going mad or they have seen there error and changed it. Because it was clearly for a set of 4 when i first saw it. Oh well back to the loony bin for me :blink::unsure::lol:

This is one product that baffles me. The asking price suggests they are made of gold, yet they are, basically, a steel wheel that apparently has a questionable design (how many other wheels can you think of with any reputation for breaking? the last one I can remember is the original Rostyle wheels on early Range Rovers in the 1970s!). Cheap tat 8 spokes that are corroded to buggery don't even break, so why on earth would you pay £1000 for a set of Mach 5s that 'might'?

You clearly don't buy them for strength, so why? Odd offset/size availability? Appearance? I've just never understood why they command such a premium - if they were 50 quid new and didn't have "issues" I'd probably get a set - the design makes cleaning the brakes quite easy :)

Tin hat on, fireproof coat on and ready at the door :lol:

Puzzled of the Southern Ocean

This is one product that baffles me. The asking price suggests they are made of gold, yet they are, basically, a steel wheel that apparently has a questionable design (how many other wheels can you think of with any reputation for breaking? the last one I can remember is the original Rostyle wheels on early Range Rovers in the 1970s!). Cheap tat 8 spokes that are corroded to buggery don't even break, so why on earth would you pay £1000 for a set of Mach 5s that 'might'?

You clearly don't buy them for strength, so why? Odd offset/size availability? Appearance? I've just never understood why they command such a premium - if they were 50 quid new and didn't have "issues" I'd probably get a set - the design makes cleaning the brakes quite easy :)

Tin hat on, fireproof coat on and ready at the door :lol:

Puzzled of the Southern Ocean

Honestly ? :unsure:

"Bling" - simply they look nice :lol:

They also help to get a pressure washer in to clean off calipers etc

but the bottom line is the "Bling" Factor :)

Nige

Hmm, just been back to devon4x4 page again and it is now £246.10 for one!!! im either going mad or they have seen there error and changed it. Because it was clearly for a set of 4 when i first saw it. Oh well back to the loony bin for me :blink::unsure::lol:

Wow!!!

I'll knock £60 off that each for unpainted ones or £90 off for non-beadlocks unpainted, and I've got them in stock.

(Even cheaper if you collect them)

Adrian

Honestly ? :unsure:

"Bling" - simply they look nice :lol:

They also help to get a pressure washer in to clean off calipers etc

but the bottom line is the "Bling" Factor :)

Nige

I like a man with honesty :)

I must admit I have thought about a set of Zu's but what puts me off is that if there are spoke issues with one made of steel, what hope is there for the same design made of much less strong 'loominum alloy ... hmmm. Also the fact that I paid £-20 for my last set of alloys makes me a bit too mean to fork out £600 for another set :)

Steel vs Aluminium Alloy for wheels....

It is reported that in the film 'The Italian Job' (the first, good one with good actors, not the one set in LA) that the Minis had to swap over to the minilite (alloy) wheels because the jumps were collapsing the standard cooper rims....

Might be hearsay, but I am sure I read about something similar outside of the film commentry.

Of course there are pros and cons with both, not saying alloys are better for hardcore off-road action :)