Sumo or Dan bars? Which one

SteveG

i bought a legth of 6mm walled stainless tube from the local metal merchants, cheaper and stronger than the commercially available ones, it slips over the original trackrods and makes them pretty much unbendable, although im sure somewone on 'ere could prove me wrong...

who asked your opinion huh?

anyway everyone knows luvers is an offroad guru :ph34r::rolleyes:

yes but i'm sure it broke on the road on the way to a job interview :)

mr fish and chips guru

I've got some Dan bars, cos they was cheap, but they are sitting in my garage (no not for sale) as I have 3mm walled 30mm box welded over the track rod and drag link.....

red38.jpg

When that bends I'll fit the Dan bars.

Without and financial consideration I think I'd fit Sumo bars, although the ability of the Dan bars to rotate over obsitcles is in their favour. So basically what bish said, swings, roundabouts, etc

It was a cheap no genewewine track rod that failed, no the Danbars

If I had the pennies again I would still swap in the 90/110 bars and the re-located damper but I would go for the Glyn Lewis protection doobrythingumyjig, as copied bootifully by Scorpion.

It's a much simpler and better idea and tough as old bbots without acting like a plough

If I had the pennies again I would still swap in the 90/110 bars and the re-located damper but I would go for the Glyn Lewis protection doobrythingumyjig, as copied bootifully by Scorpion.

I agree with the gwyn lewis track rod guard. I think I would go down this route too if I wasn't considering putting on a front suspension mod in the next year ;)

Cheers

Steve

I agree with the gwyn lewis track rod guard. I think I would go down this route too if I wasn't considering putting on a front suspension mod in the next year ;)

Cheers

Steve

Has anyone got a link for the Glyn Lewis thingies, google does`nt seem to come up with either.

I got the sumo bars - been on there for ages without a hitch - prior to that i was always bending the standard items.

someone warned me that when you have sumos fitted the track rod ends could/will snap instead of the standard steering bar being 'sacrifical' by bending - so best carry a spare TREnd . but so far no probs.

Cheers

Steve

This is what I've used (except Frogs Island 4x4 flavour) for a while and I've been very happy with it BUT you can't extract the front diff without removing it first. Plus, if you do bend a standard bar in there you've really got problems trying to remove it.

I've bent several Dan and Sumo bars in the past. I don't like the idea of grounding out on the trackrod (e.g. on a stump) with the full weight of front end of the vehicle hanging off those track rod ends!

I now run a Gwyn Lewis trackrod guard with a cut down QT diff guard welded onto it with a Sumo bar inside, so far so good.