Britpart or Genuine?

Have just ordered a few more bits from Paddocks including a couple of hub oil seals. I paid extra for OE seals and was dissapointed when they turned up in a Britpart bag. I called paddocks and they tell me that they are genuine parts, they claim that Britpart buy them in bulk, bag them up and supply them to paddocks. She said you know if its a genuine part if the part number ends in G. On the bag it says "BRITPART - Corresponding to FTC 4785G" My question to you guys is do I actually have a genuine part or a britpart equivilent?

Have just ordered a few more bits from Paddocks including a couple of hub oil seals. I paid extra for OE seals and was dissapointed when they turned up in a Britpart bag. I called paddocks and they tell me that they are genuine parts, they claim that Britpart buy them in bulk, bag them up and supply them to paddocks. She said you know if its a genuine part if the part number ends in G. On the bag it says "BRITPART - Corresponding to FTC 4785G" My question to you guys is do I actually have a genuine part or a britpart equivilent?

I'm a bit dubious as it states "corresponding to". Is the name of the manufacturer visible anywhere on the seal?

No Britpart seal that I've ever used has lasted longer than 9 months to a year. That's why I buy genuine seals now from a main dealer.

If I were you I'd avoid any part with the word Britpart on it, in my experience they are not high quality parts and in my opinion do not represent good value for money.

HTH

Mo

I might call paddocks back and see if I get a different person on the phone and see what their story is. If I had ordered the non OE seals I wonder what would have turned up then? Indeed its the "Corresponging to" bit that concerns me. The seal itself doesn't appear to have a manufacturer on it. It has a part number and "This way to stub axle" etc.

The G suffix may be correct. I know that Bearmach do the same thing. Sometimes, you even get seals in genuine packaging when ordering BM parts.

We regularly deal with Bearmach (we are 5 miles from them !!!) and very often LR parts turn up off them , usually with a heavy discount over the LR retail price as well.

IIRC the 'G' means it's equivalent of a genuine part, the 'corresponding to' just means the LR part number is used to ident the item.

The problem is, it's what they say is the equivalent of a genuine part. I've never seen them list Britpart stuff as the equivalent of something found in a landfill, so clearly it's open to artistic licence.

Whilst you need to be particularly careful of Britpart Oil seals, the 'G' ones should be ok. But some companies do use the 'G' suffix with a bit of artistic licence as previously stated. It should denote a part manufactured by an OE supplier, they use the 'corresponding to' term since some of the OE companies do not like them using their part numbers.

The original supplier on this was GACO now Freudenberg (Corteco is their aftermarket Division). The seals used to have the markings 59.8x80.27x10/16 and IN53438 on them, also have the stub axle instruction on them. Not at work at the moment so unable to check the current stock. Be wary of any seal with the Land Rover number moulded in but with an 'R' in front. There is another OE alternative seal available to the Freudenberg Corteco one but Britpart would most likely not be using that.

Hope this helps.

I get so tired of these companies sending you whatever they like when you request a specific thing/make. I too would send them back i think. I wont go to my local supplier for important parts anymore because this has come up time and time again and they always try to fob me off with whatever is on the shelf. You are the customer and you know what you want....

"Aren't all pattern parts the equivalent of a genuine part ? It's just that some are more equivalent than others"

No.

OE (original equipment) means the same as genuine made by the same manufacturer but often packaged differently.

Pattern means just that, it is a pattern of the original item but not always to the same quality as the original.

I think if you get a part with the G in the number, IF you cant find the name or number of the OE manufacturer on it i would worry that it is really just a pattern part and quality may well be suspect - i.e. if you cant find the name Timken on a set of bearings marked with a 'G' on the part number and supplied in a blue and white box, i would be seriously worried i'd just got a blue and white brand bearing and not a timken one.