Adhesive number plates

HighlandRover

Was looking into an adhesive number plate (that so many landrovers have) for the front of my 90 but when I asked a company that make normal legal plates they said that they could not make the adhesive type as they were illegal for road use.

So my question is has anybody ever been stopped by the law because of having an adhesive plate and what were the repercautions? ( dont think thats how you spell that :) )

Cheers Jason

AFAIK the adhesive plates are now illegal as they don't comply to the laws regarding construction, postcode and maker's marks etc.

I used to have one on my Disco and it went through several MOT's and never got pulled over. I think as long as the plate is easily visable from the front, the correct font size and spacing and on a proper reflective background you're unlikely to get picked up on it (unless of course you've already been pulled in for some other more serious offence).

Plenty of sign companies will be able to make you one.

They do not conform to corrects regs. Had one on the 90 for 4 years+ with no issues, at all. If you are worried, what I did was to carry the existing plate in the vehicle. If you ever did get stopped you could say it fell off when off-roading and you have the bonnet one on there as back-up. wink.gif

btw the London congestion charge had no problem picking up plate whenever I forgot to buy a ticket online, so I doubt you'll have any issues with ANPR's etc

Steve

To confuse things, they *used* to be legal (a bit like silver-on-black plates) so up to a certain year you can have them on with no problem, even though officially you shouldn't be able to buy them.

Lots of places on the net will do you sticky "show plates" which are to the "used-to-be-legal" spec.

I have full confidence that this tackles car crime and makes the roads safer somehow :rolleyes:

i agree again that they are illegal although the dvla and mot staions say they are fine i have one on my car and i belive some new cars are manufactured/registered with them so cant see you getting in any trouble. i bought mine from a place called ( craigs plates ) should be on google, they also have plenty of info online and are also very helpful to speek to.

I have one on the back of my trailer. It was originally made up on a trailer board so I just cut the plastic from the trailer board and made it into a plate that is now on the trailer cross member.

I think, like the black and silver plates, that they are, or were, legal on certain vehicles first used before a certain date. I don't think mine is legal on the trailer but I have a proper one to go on at some point.

I think in most cases no-one cares as long as they can read it and you're not taking the p*** with strange spacing, styles, etc. - they'd rather you have something than nothing. If you're being a silly arse or your vehicle is in poor condition and get pulled they may well pick you up for it just for something to pick you up on, but that's true of anything from a blown bulb upwards.

^^^

Wot he said

I have one on my 1985 90, its on the front edge on the bonnet and is visible.

I have asked my MOT Tester - he's fine with it, asked 2 x police I know both said "Age" of truck and

it is visible, correct spacing etc etc

However, for a definative answer you'll need :

post-22-126518142762_thumb.jpg

Who may be along at some point within the thread

:)

Nige

i agree again that they are illegal although the dvla and mot staions say they are fine i have one on my car and i belive some new cars are manufactured/registered with them so cant see you getting in any trouble. i bought mine from a place called ( craigs plates ) should be on google, they also have plenty of info online and are also very helpful to speek to.

Had a look at Craigs Plates website and found this:

"We believe that because these number plates use to be sold in kit form in shops, it meant people could make their own plates. DVLA did not want the consumer making their own plates as the room for error was greater! Pre-September 2001 these plates were always seen as acceptable. However, since the change in legislation people have become more conscious of putting them on their car."

Its here in full if you want to check it out: Link

I'm thinking about putting one on the front of my '98 Defender as some kind sole has recently put a scratch on the front of the bonnet just where it would go.

Edit: Thing is who does pre 2001 style plates?

So i guess writing my reg number on a bit of brown cardboard and sticking that on the back of a trailer i'd borrowed for one day could have gotten me in trouble then?! I hadnt thought about it till i read this thread.

From the number of big expensive cars I see towing twin wheel caravans. That's the norm...Just like a bike rack with three bikes covering the rear number plate :D