Strong / Bullet Proof AutoBox to mate to V8 & LT230 ?

Hi All,

I am becoming more and more concerned that the new 5.2JED V8 is going to do havoc and hell to

my gearbox esp, and prob my drivetrain.

I know I can soften the shock loads and forces on the drive train via an autobox, and as I have a LT85

these are regarded as the strongest box avaialable in manual format (inc R380) with the exception of a Neanderthal

LT95 which I aint fitting :lol:

So, autobox wise the ZF4 speed RR box is one option, but I have thoughts that it is "Deliacte" I know Mr Ashcroft

can work some magic to beef these up but still prob not that strong ? 727 3spd torqueflight etc would be good,

but horrible - so I'm considering options.

After a conversation with a forumeer the Jaguar HP24 Autobox seemed to surface as being Kin Strong and cheap, thoughts ?

And what is involved in fitting one between a V8 bellhousing and a LT230 ?

Do the members think a rebuilt (it was 6 months ago) LT230 in good nick with a KAM Forged 4 pn crossshaft in the

centre diff will be enough to cope with the engine ?

Any other ideas or thoughts ?

ON the HP24 Jag auto, does tghis need a Compushift computer ? or is it manual cable,

are the change points changable / in the rights places ?

Lastly - a P38 1996 RR I know of has a new factory unit zf box, which is this and is it computered, is it

any good as a autobox re all of the above

Loads of Qs, but slush boxes are a area I am hugely unknowledgeable on :lol: ??

HELP

Nige

Do the members think a rebuilt (it was 6 months ago) LT230 in good nick with a KAM Forged 4 pn crossshaft in the

centre diff will be enough to cope with the engine ?

Apparently Atlas tested the lt230 in comparison to their own transfer boxes,and concluded that,with the difflock engaged,it was good for around 1000hp.

(this came from Andy Chaplin)

Apparently Atlas tested the lt230 in comparison to their own transfer boxes,and concluded that,with the difflock engaged,it was good for around 1000hp.

(this came from Andy Chaplin)

We've tested the LT230 with ~450hp and a Jez behind the wheel and it seems to cope OK :lol:

Pulling one off a jag or bmw won't work since ZF made a number of variations to suit different applications.

Why ?

please explain ?

And I too think the LT230 will be OK for it

So options are for between V* and Lt230, maybe a V8 bellhousing off something nmodded

But - what ?

JAg seems to be top poss at the mo, need a Jag expert / user to comment ?

Nige

Nige

Why ?

please explain ?

At a guess but in no particular order:

- Different input shafts / TC's / bellhousings

- Different shift patterns / valving

- Electronic control of varying complexity

- Different output arrangement (not many jags with a transfer box)

Also does anyone have any real data on how much stronger 4HP24's are, as in from ZF not a bloke down the pub. I know Jags have some engines with more HP (supercharged 3.6/4.2?) but from previous research into engine alternatives there's not many lumps out there outside of big 4x4's (TLC, Patrol, etc.) that are making the same torque at low RPM's, even lumps pushing more than double the BHP of a 4.6 Rover.

Hi Nigel

What I have done in the past for myself and done Twiggys box aswell

1 rr/disco zfhp22, 1 jag zfhp24, strip both and rebuild rr/disco box with jag internals.

Twiggy must have a few horses more than most with his 4.6 V7 :lol: and his stands up well been in at least 2 years without a problem ;)

There are couple of safari boys running the Jag box behind a Rover, both done by Roland Marlow ACR

Couple of others running them behind supercharged Jag engines. The paddle shift seems to work quite well too.

I would try keeping the LT85 and perhaps a few evening classes in mechanical sympathy? ;)

Yes, very logical - and have done

"Quaffie 6 speed straight cut sequential - with few mods" :blink:

- Don't even think about it - Hence the post :rofl:

Nige

there is another race and rally box builder in harlow,can,t remember the name,they were at the rally show at chatsworth this year,speak to milner offroad,they use a lexus autobox with i think a hilux transfer box in the milner protruck,having seen those launch off the start line they are pretty impressive.

Nige,

About the best bolt in solution would be a hp22/24 hybrid box.

You would need a a p38 v8 hp24 and a rr classic v8 hp22

Use the belhousing torque convertor and oil pump of the "24" bolted to the main gearbox casing off the "22" you then need the main rotating assembly and clutch packs out of the 24 the with the valve body and govenor out of the "22",

There are a few pipes that need tweeking to get the manual valve body to clear the larger clutch packs but nothing too major.

Even then you are going to be on it's limits.

We had a eales 5.2 on a home built box as above, followed by an ashcroft monsterbox, even on redline fluid with a 24x12 cooler they still got a bit warm and both eventually died.

speak to milner offroad,they use a lexus autobox with i think a hilux transfer box in the milner protruck,having seen those launch off the start line they are pretty impressive.

As far as I know there are no auto Milner Protrucks. The early ones had Tremec T5 boxes but most, if not all, were changed to Drenth sequentials. Most of the newer R5 Protrucks have a Milner designed transaxle and no transfer box.

Either set up would cost you well over £10k, nearer £20k for the transaxle and bits.

As far as I know there are no auto Milner Protrucks. The early ones had Tremec T5 boxes but most, if not all, were changed to Drenth sequentials. Most of the newer R5 Protrucks have a Milner designed transaxle and no transfer box.

Either set up would cost you well over £10k, nearer £20k for the transaxle and bits.

i stand corrected,i have seen a racer with a lexus autobox with the hilux transfer box,that was behind a breathed on lexus v8 motor,no option is going to be cheap as modifying autoboxes requires some prior knowledge,i have stripped and repaired clarke auto transmissions in container handling machines,which by contrast are quite simple,but i would hesitate before attempting a hybrid 22/24 build.

When Land Rover was assembling 110's in Aus, they used Isuzu diesels and LT95's. After 85, they dropped the LT95 for LT85's in the civilian versions (army continued to specify LT95).

That engine spits the thrust bearings out of stock LT95 transfer cases and the only way to get good life from them is to fit the taper roller bearing kit produced for the army. The stock LT85 doesn't last behind the Isuzu, so Maxi-drive came up with a larger taper roller bearing conversion for the input shaft. The late R380's last if treated with care so seem about as strong as an LT85.

The Isuzu kills 4HP22 ZF's in no time at all. A beefed up 4HP24 may be ok if treated with care.

Personally I would be looking at a GM auto - by the time you beefed up the pi$$y ZF, you could have a stronger transmission for less.

Don't forget to allow a lot of $$$ for an over large transmission cooler system in the back for whatever auto tranny.

Nige,

About the best bolt in solution would be a hp22/24 hybrid box.

You would need a a p38 v8 hp24 and a rr classic v8 hp22

Use the belhousing torque convertor and oil pump of the "24" bolted to the main gearbox casing off the "22" you then need the main rotating assembly and clutch packs out of the 24 the with the valve body and govenor out of the "22",

There are a few pipes that need tweeking to get the manual valve body to clear the larger clutch packs but nothing too major.

Even then you are going to be on it's limits.

We had a eales 5.2 on a home built box as above, followed by an ashcroft monsterbox, even on redline fluid with a 24x12 cooler they still got a bit warm and both eventually died.

I know somebody who has just had to have a new clutch pack and torque converter in a hp22/24 hybrid box and it was connected to a 2.8 tgv

I spoke to a dutch guy once who ran a diesel v8 6.2 with an lt 85. this got noisy very soon, and then was rebuilt using needle bearings in a few places, rather than ball bearings. From what I understood, thins were fine from then on. Not sure what other weak points there are with the lt 85, but an option to consider?

Daan

Why not use a TH350 and adaptor to bolt it to the LT230?

If not then TF sounds the best bits. BW's are a pain to rebuild yourslef and theres sod all aftermarket parts available for them. The american boxes on the other hand parts are cheap as chips and theres loads of aftermarket uprated bits available for them.

Jon