Insurance!

adam300Tdi90

I'm kind of in shock.... after rebuilding my Land Rover I was thinking I would need special insurance, that it would be expensive, that if I wanted an agreed value, they would rip me off.

Well after reading the latest threads about insurance on here and that many people were being charged through the nose, I thought I'd start ringing the suggested insurers.

First one on the list was Footman James...

So to back track a little, I am 25, had my license for 7 years.. No claims or convictions. I live in a smallish town in Wiltshire and park the car on my driveway...

I have now taken out fully comp cover with them (the first I rang), with unlimited milage, Third party cover on other cars, agreed £9000 value, legal cover, breakdown cover, euro cover, and all mods listed...

£135.52

Daylight robbery (but the good kind)

hi all, i to am with footman james, 9 years, and found there service very good £129.00 fully com d90, a friend of mine told me that when he renewed is insurance last week it had gone up mega money £300,(not footman james) someone heard on the radio that it's all going up, because of all the fraud, none payer's and all the accident scams, so law abiding people cop there bills, if it's true, then it stinks :angry::angry: dd

I do have no claims on my other policy with my Alfa. But I declared zero years no claims with this one.. Crazy. Like I said I feel like I've robbed them!! I asked him to repeat the quote about three times! then I said '..and that's for a year?!' Hopefully they pay quickly and without arguement if I ever need it....

I assume thats on a "classic" policy, if so I have the same policy with footman james, mine was £130 when I renewed the 110 in July. They don't recognise NCB on their classic policy which is fine except I now have to insure the Mrs's car in my name to keep my NCB from expiring.

I'm kind of in shock.... after rebuilding my Land Rover I was thinking I would need special insurance, that it would be expensive, that if I wanted an agreed value, they would rip me off.

Well after reading the latest threads about insurance on here and that many people were being charged through the nose, I thought I'd start ringing the suggested insurers.

First one on the list was Footman James...

So to back track a little, I am 25, had my license for 7 years.. No claims or convictions. I live in a smallish town in Wiltshire and park the car on my driveway...

I have now taken out fully comp cover with them (the first I rang), with unlimited milage, Third party cover on other cars, agreed £9000 value, legal cover, breakdown cover, euro cover, and all mods listed...

£135.52

Daylight robbery (but the good kind)

dont know your uses for the vehicle but worth checkin your insured off road too. recently insured my range rover and adrain flux was one of the only ones who covered it off road and as the wife uses it for pony club ect i recon its worth being insured in a field full of women trying to reverse horse boxes .the defender is also insured through adrain flux giving cover green laning and when we are pay and playin

I was with Footman James one year on the 90, was a good price but I only went for it because I had another policy on another vehicle earning me NCB.

As above, the 'Classic Car' policies that FJ sell don't earn you any NCB, although it's presence may be taken into account when quoting.

Flux are the same on my 88", they don't give me any NCB for that as it's a classic. I get it on the 90 though.

Has your vehicle any modifications? Footman james kicked me off my policy last november, I wrang them and they politly declined to give me a reason or a re quote on another policy. I recived a letter the following week saying it was a certificate for 2 years no claims... only had the policy for 1 year... al a bit weird, presently with Frank Pickles (I have a few mods) but then my millage has just run out so looking for anotehr policy...

I'm astonished to read this! I fell out with FJ when they automatically renewed my policy without notifying me of a considerable price hike. When I phoned them to discuss they were unwilling to compromise, so I cancelled there and then.

I'd been paying much more than the OP for fully comp on my 1990 RRC (only mod is LPG). I have limited mileage, and declared it as my 2nd car, which it is, I have a clean record and full no claims.

The Rangey is currently insured with Adrian Flux.

It seems we all have differing experiences with so many of the major companies. It really does seem to boil down to who you talk to and what the weather's like.

Good to hear of a happy customer all the same.

I just had my renewal from Sureterm - £380 with 9 years NCB, Police Advanced Driver, no breakdown cover, 9k mileage, agreed valuation of £9k.

Just did a comparethemarket.com quote and Sureterm quoted £270 with breakdown and 12k mileage, agreed value of £14k.

Sheer lunacy - I'll be sure to make some phone calls in the morning!

I just had my renewal from Sureterm - £380 with 9 years NCB, Police Advanced Driver, no breakdown cover, 9k mileage, agreed valuation of £9k.

Just did a comparethemarket.com quote and Sureterm quoted £270 with breakdown and 12k mileage, agreed value of £14k.

Sheer lunacy - I'll be sure to make some phone calls in the morning!

you may find the online quote was for a "new customer",stupid i know,good luck.

I'm currently with Adrian Flux and paying £280 for my 110 300TDI. I am selling the vehicle and buying a 110 TD5 and asked what it would cost to insure it and it came out at £450.

I trawled around numerous websites and the closest I could get was £0.50P more, but with a higher excess. So it looks like I'll be sticking with Adrian Flux.

Interestingly, Heritage Motor Insurance quoted £2,535.00!!!! FFS I am (ahem) over the age of 21, had a full licence for over 20 years and current have 7 years NCD!

The challenge is to get it under £100. I've used Footman James for my 110 for a number of years and my insurance got to £99 at one point, 25 y.o with unlimited mileage and agreed value. since AIG had to be rescued its now back over. £100.30 I think.

Best I could get with my Landcruiser at the end of last year was £390. Its only a few years younger than the 110, but Footman James wouldn't insure it as they have a different threshold before they're considered classics, 20 years if I recall correctly. Land Rovers are classics at 15 I think, maybe less, as incidently are mr2's I was told. I'll have to wait till next year before trying again for that car.