sound insulation Under Bonnet type

On my 2001 D90 I squirted expanding-foam into the voids between the bonnet strengthening-webs and stuck aluminium-foil-faced rubber foam to the underneath of the bonnet. It cut down the rattle a bit, but the big problem is getting something which remains stuck. Heat and gravity mean any insulation tends to sag - and this is not good when it dangles down perilously near the turbo.

Truth is, trying to silence a Defender is always going to be a nightmare: the strangely-variable crackle of a TD5 competes with the whine of the transmission, the drone of the Goodyear G90s and the roar of the wind. You either learn to cruise below the legal-limit or if you're like me and enjoy chasing BMWs down the outside lane of the M4 at 95MPH - just fit earplugs!

i bought a sheet of noise killer stuff and cut and fitted it myself to the underside of the bonnet and it made a world of difference to my 200tdi 90. it held well for ages but bits of it started to drop where it got a bit wet and dirty, it does a fair amount of off roading though. I just stuck it back up with sealant and has been solid since.

i bought a sheet of noise killer stuff and cut and fitted it myself to the underside of the bonnet and it made a world of difference to my 200tdi 90. it held well for ages but bits of it started to drop where it got a bit wet and dirty, it does a fair amount of off roading though. I just stuck it back up with sealant and has been solid since.

Mine started sagging so I removed one side on my 1988 110 v8 bonnet. While mulling over a replacement, my visit to Tesco one day had my eye drawn to a reflective backed camp bed roll £5.00. So out of curiosity and avid experimenter like most fellow Land Rover drivers. I fashioned a half bonnet shape to fix I used the carpet spray glue. Thinking this will suffer the same fate I have been keeping an watchful eye with luck no major problem at all. As my bonnet is a different from newer versions I split my padding in two to prevent weight and heat affecting the glue and material.

You can get em for about £35 from LR series, I got my 2nd's off ebay, I have definetly found it helps reduce the rattle higher frequency noise, also insulated the bonnet, keeps your engine bay a bit warmer in the cold. I wish I'd installed one earlier.

You can get em for about £35 from LR series, I got my 2nd's off ebay, I have definetly found it helps reduce the rattle higher frequency noise, also insulated the bonnet, keeps your engine bay a bit warmer in the cold. I wish I'd installed one earlier.

Found this:

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/3227/AWR4147-BONNET-INSULATION.html?search=bonnet sound&page=1

bit more than you mentioned - is there another one i've missed?

C'mon reb, keep up dear chap, that's the one I've listed/linked to above. :rolleyes::i-m_so_happy:

Sorry Ralph, bit slow today! :D

aye, that must be the one, appologies my price must have been off a bit and add infaltion!!! but still I think its well worth the money!

I think i agree - had a look around for other suppliers and a few are a little cheaper but state it is from an aftermarket manufacturer. LRseries states genuine which seems to sell upward of £190 elswehere! THink i may get one of those as i'd love to make the truck a little quieter.

when i did my 300 i bought some insulation felt for about £10 then from Woollies trim and stuck it on with trim spray glue and then added some penny washers about every 400mm along the struts to make sure it did not sag.

nearly 3 yrs later and it is all fine. it has been off roaded and wet more times than i can remember.

made quite a difference to noise

see: http://www.woolies-t...c-126-felt.aspx

• 7 years later...
On 2/12/2011 at 9:12 PM, western said:

Yes, see page attached, AWR4147

if your VIN is not in the range shown on the attached sheet, PM the last 8 digits to me & I'll check microcat for you.

post-20-0-19647300-1297545132_thumb.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I’m interested to get this insulation part for my 06 td5.

Is there an alternate part for td5, as I can’t see that this would fit?

thanks!

Having installed an expensive and well known product all around my engine bay (full under bonnet, full lining of the bulkhead and full lining of the inner wings), I can confidently advise you not to bother - it will reduce exterior noise for pedestrians, but makes not a jot of difference inside the cab.  The only tangible benefit is too your family and neighbours if you have to leave the engine idling on the driveway frequently.  

It's only lining the inside of the cab that makes a difference to interior noise.

Some of the suggestions here are a bit more flammable than I'd be comfortable with for under-bonnet use... and as Snagger says, it's debatable if it's going to make any difference to noise inside the vehicle.

I found foil-backed foam under the transmission tunnel / seat box to make a big difference to heat & noise coming in (especially with an overdrive), that and just sealing up leaks / holes in the area.

The factory tdi insulation doesn’t really fit properly to the td5 bonnet.

I used Silent coat “Noise buffler” self adhesive foil lined foam sound proofing on my td5 and tdci bonnet. It has stuck in place for over 12 months now. 

I have always thought the td5 bonnet needs a bit more weight to it to stop it vibrating, although the silent coat stopped the skin vibrating at idle.

Land Rover also sell something remarkably similar to the seal which is fitted to the gutter on the bulkhead in the engine bay. It is intended for fitment to the inner rim all round the lip of the bonnet, but only in certain markets. Again this is probably to reduce drive by noise rather than in vehicle racket. Best fix is to throw the coal burner away and fit a V8, at least then the, much reduced, clatter is melodious. ☺️

Edited by neil110