Serious failure of steering box

Hi all

My steering went with no warning at all, fortunately I was on doing about 20mph.

At first I thought I had a flat tyre because I was turning a corner and the steering did not respond properly and the vehicle drifted, on closer inspection I realised that the steering box had failed and it wasn't until I removed it that I discovered the real sobering potentially fatal failure!

The actual main shaft that drives the drop arm had completely sheered!

This is what I was greeted with when I looked underneath

b48c6b7e.jpg

and this is what I found when I removed the box and the remaining part of the shaft fell out

d61bdc06.jpg

a5dfa991.jpg

The box was off a disco 300 tdi around 1995 I think, it has never been off tarmac, I fitted it about 7 month ago and it has been used on some challenging lanes since then! ie: Chapel Gate, Derbyshire, all over the lake district and yorkshire dales and south wales! I run 33/12.50/15 tyres on 10" rims too!

A mate of mine had this happen on his 110, I believe they have a machined cut at the point of failure which is why they go.

TD5 Disco2 boxes don't have the cut and are supposedly stronger, unfortunately they aren't a bolt-in replacement.

been used on some challenging lanes since then! ie: Chapel Gate, Derbyshire, all over the lake district and yorkshire dales and south wales! I run 33/12.50/15 tyres on 10" rims too!

yep that will do it...

when you start running bigger/wider and there for heavier tyres you will find standard steering boxes expire all the time, granted not every the time like this but some times...

which is why the rule/law about needing a mechanical link and not allowing full hydro steering is such rubbish..

This is not all that unusual a failure on vehicles used heavily off road. It is quite a regular sight on speed events.

I've had one fail, fortunately on a slow corner of a hillrally, shortly after we had been doing about 90mph on the gravel through the trees!

They usually give just a little bit of warning. Enough to say 'steering feels a bit funny!'

Fortunately, steering loads are heaviest at low speed, so if a steering component is going to fail, it's likely to be while at low speed or stationary, but it's not impossible to have one fail at high speed, especially if the steering takes a knock from a pothole or similar.

Glad you had no other harm to you or the vehicle.

Just be warned that many of the "recon" boxes out there are just repainted units from scrapped vehicles. If it's not direct from Adwest, my advice would be don't touch it.

• 12 years later...
25 minutes ago, Trevor cully said:

Hi my 90 box has just snapped the same as yours, the box was a re-con about 4 years ago, I run big ish tyres and only used in the forest 5 ish times a year. It broke as turning on a drive but very scary thing what could of happened, very bad design that shouldn’t happen 

As Moose said in his reply, big tyres will do that, and as I said in my reply, only Adwest did a proper job of reconditioning the boxes.  But I can imagine how scary it’d be to have this happen rather than the usual leaks or shimmy.

That shaft has been known to fail over the years, I would not say common or many , I guess in the scheme of things you could say rare but I’ve heard of 5 or more now. D2 box is stronger there but the worm gear is cheese. P38 RR steering box would be the better bet, easy enough to source and bolt in kits are available . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shep The Disco said:

Do the D2 boxes bolt into the D1 set up?

Nope, the bolt pattern is larger & taller.

That said I've been running a D2 box since I built the 109 back in 2006-7 and it's never been on anything smaller than 36" tyres, so far so good... although that box came brand new from Adwest so doesn't even have the mandatory oil leak :ph34r:

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Nope, the bolt pattern is larger & taller.

That said I've been running a D2 box since I built the 109 back in 2006-7 and it's never been on anything smaller than 36" tyres, so far so good... although that box came brand new from Adwest so doesn't even have the mandatory oil leak :ph34r:

Fair enough. You do realise that the rust prevention system built into the steering boxes is necessary....🤣

Not spotted anything that would retrofit while rummaging in the scrap yard yet. Most of the Japanese stuff is completely different.

Going truck scrap yard in the spring on the hunt for a large intercooler. seen some monster sized ones in the scanias..,

8 hours ago, Shep The Disco said:

Not spotted anything that would retrofit while rummaging in the scrap yard yet.

The 6-bolt Gemmer boxes are described in the manuals as "Heavy duty" while the 4-bolt is the "light duty", the 6-bolts were fitted to 127 and a few others. I've no idea of the physical differences as I've never had one apart.

12 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The 6-bolt Gemmer boxes are described in the manuals as "Heavy duty" while the 4-bolt is the "light duty", the 6-bolts were fitted to 127 and a few others. I've no idea of the physical differences as I've never had one apart.

The sizes look comparable (though I doubt any parts are interchangeable).  The biggest difference could just be metallurgy or more rigorous ND testing to make sure stressed parts have no inclusions, cracks or voids.

4 and 6 bolt are a straight swap (inc drop arms appropriate for each). My 110 started life with a 6 bolt but it got a bit wandery so i bought a new 4 bolt from adwest in the days when they were reasonably priced. I dont recall doing anything other than unbolting one and bolting the new up.