LRM website

ibexman

bigfoot sold it to LRM and didnt tell anyone so all anyone knew was what you found. lot of people are Mildly miffed off including me, so much so i deleted my account after 1400+posts.

So assuming that being correct, what gave anybody the right to sell information that was copyright owned by others? :huh:

just to clarify i only heard a rumour it had been sold. it is now under the headline of "landrover monthly powered by landrover addict"

its not a matter of patience while things are sorted. to me its a matter of principle that we forum users were not told that the change was happening, we have lost pm's with contact info, we have lost build threads with photo's, we have had a load of advertising foisted on us, we have had the format changed without telling us, FFS to send a pm you have to type in a security code!! it seems a very cynical marketing ploy by LRM, they can now go to their advertisers and say we have this website with all these hits and you can advertise on it for €xx.

I wasn't very happy about a "upgrade" turning out to be a de-facto takeover by a magazine. It put me in mind of a certain toys and pram incident with another magazine (or rather it's owner) and the forum that spawned both this forum and the other one.

I have deleted my account at the other place. :(

Trev informed the LRA users prior to the change - you just needed to read his post. It's gone now so hey ho

Trev hasn't sold the forum he has done a deal to keep it going, a bit like selling advertising space on a forum

The format is being worked on and is improving every day

However each to thier own

see my comment in the new web site section on the web site.

The t&c's , our other web sites copyright notices seem to suggest that LRM/denis own the web page and the forum. This may of course be a misunderstanding but the info suggests that to me

Trev informed the LRA users prior to the change - you just needed to read his post. It's gone now so hey ho

Trev hasn't sold the forum he has done a deal to keep it going, a bit like selling advertising space on a forum

if he informed everyone then how come 99% of people on there didnt know and couldnt find the new web address? i got an email informing me it was being "upgraded" with the "help" of lrm 2 days after stumbling across the new "improved" site.

if he informed everyone then how come 99% of people on there didnt know and couldnt find the new web address? i got an email informing me it was being "upgraded" with the "help" of lrm 2 days after stumbling across the new "improved" site.

I guess that was the same insecure email sent out containing in plain view both the email address and your password?

Winge

Winge

Winge

Winge......

yep i am allowed to or has freedom of speech been removed? If i think something is carp i am allowed to say that. Same as you are allowed to say wow isnt it wonderful.

and yes sending out passwords in unsecure emails is rather bad practice. I am very surprised at the IT department of Denis publishing aka LRA allow such shodding practices to go on.

It appears now that asking 1 question about the ownership of the site offends people and cannot be discussed online.

don't you work for the same magazine?

I don't EVER remember any password being sent via a secure E Mail........

There again I tend to wait and see and not open a discussion about another forum

Then yes Trev did post a notice. I read it......

If you are having problems reading this email go to http://www.landroveraddict.com/newsletter/read/4/

Dear Land Rover Addict,

You will notice some very big changes next time you log into the Land Rover Addict Forum.

Land Rover Addict has teamed up with land Rover Monthly magazine to create what we believe to be the best community site in the Land Rover world. We have taken the best elements of the Land Rover Monthly website (news, features, events etc.) and merged them with the vibrant forum that is LRA, and added some great new features that I am sure you will all enjoy.

In addition to contributing to the forums (and we have transferred all the many thousands of threads and posts from the previous LRA site) you now have the ability to update photos, videos, create events, write blogs, and much, much more.

Please find time to have a look around the new site and the increased functionality there is for you to use. As with all new sites, I am sure there will be a few things that you like, and others that you don’t. Please feel free to provide feedback and comments – we want to make this the best community site for Land Rovers anywhere, and to do so we will need your input.

If you are having problems logging in your username / email is steve@xxxxxxx.orangehome.co.uk and password is eNB5Ru.

This can be updated from your 'My Profile tab' and clicking the 'General Info' tab.

Thanks, and happy posting!

Trevor Cuthbert (site moderator) and Richard Howell-Thomas (Editor – Land Rover Monthly)

You are subscribed to email updates from landroveraddict.

To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.

Apart from amending my email address, this is exactly the email I received.

I don't EVER remember any password being sent via a secure E Mail........

There again I tend to wait and see and not open a discussion about another forum

Then yes Trev did post a notice. I read it......

1 i never started this thread

2 you are taking part in the discussion if you feel that it is not correct to express ones views then dont take part.

3 It would have been nice to have had an email rather than find the system had gone to be replaced with something which my personal reaction to is of inferior quality. Again my view i am sure that conflicts with yours.

4 discussing it on the lra forum gets you shot down in flames. Not really aware of any real answers or responses to peoples queries other than wait it will improve.

to create what we believe to be the best community site in the Land Rover world.

Speaking personally, and not particularly wanting to offend anyone - that's the biggest pile of carp I've read in a long time (and I've read a few :) )

How can anyone run a successful website with such a dictatorial attitude?

LRA has always been moderated by a "we don't like it, so it's deleted" attitude.

I've been around the Land Rover websites for a long time now and have been a member of most of the mainstream ones, and have contributed to them mostly in a technical way (which is my 'thing'). Since it's 'creation' - I have never understood LRA - it's somewhat fractious blens of utterly ridiculous posts, such as knitting :) , multiple posts that are just self-back-slapping.

Most members on here would not know, but Bigfoot was the 'owner' of this website, until his underhand actions got him removed from here. If that had not happened, then this website would be in the same situation as LRA is now.

Like I said - no offence to anyone - especially you MIke, my opinion on it, that's all.

Les.

Apart from amending my email address, this is exactly the email I received.

Same as the unsolicited one I received too. I've revisited the site a few times since since receiving the e-mail but personally don't find the layout particularly agreeable.