Am I being unrealistic?

jameslwt

Had my 110 for sale for a couple of weeks now, but only getting low offers. It's been on the bay, the lr forums and still in autotrader. So can I ask the forum...am I being too unrealistic?

Link is :

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68102&st=0#entry588137

But to save anyone having to read it all, basically its a 1996 300tdi hardtop with side windows, with tax and mot. Got quite a few accessories, inc EP9, bumper and offroading bits - no cage though. 105k miles in fair condition. I advertised it for between £4500 and £4900, fully expecting to negotiate. Chassis and bulkhead are good.

I have been offered £3500 twice, but I feel that is too low - but am I wrong? Not bothered if I get flamed and told I am crazy - that's why I am posting this! (to gauge what price I should be asking - not get flamed :D) And not worried if it isn't worth that much - could always keep it in that case as only reason for selling is because it's not getting much use, and figured it was a lot of money to have sat around.

Thanks

I wouldn't buy it from your description on this forum, if you want top dollar you need to list the good points and let the buyer find the less good bits.

If I were doing a 100 odd mile round trip words like "chassis ok" wouldn't excite me much...

Read through some ads on fleabay and copy the style of the one that looks most interesting.

4x4 prices where crazy over the winter period, personnaly if you could wait till the end of the year then i would, you'll defo get a better price for it, especially after 2 pretty harsh winters... people will start buying 4x4 again come November time ready for "the snow".

Its a funny one, as I'm keeping my eye out for a 110CSW and I'm not really willing to pay much over 3.5k - i think people are holing onto there money just now, and with Land Rovers having such a subjective price tag, it kinda makes it even more of a lottery for buyer and sellers.

Mav

4.5 k is a lot to spend for many people, usually on personal finance. The converting to standard comment is definately valid, 3.5K looks a lot more attractive for many. Than a few hundred pounds here and there for the accesories will make you your money eventually.

Daan

There are lots of your modifications that make the vehicle less attractive to a lot of buyers. Covering the vehicle in chequer plate (what are you hiding under there ? thinks the potential buyer), silly steering wheel, strange drivers seat arrangement (bench seat !!!), winch, chassis that is "OK but needs painting/waxoiling". Body work that is scarred, doors that are corroded, rear door that has had a plate bodged over the top of the spare wheel carrier, holes and dents in the bonnet and so on.

Take a look at the competition, see what you could also buy for the price you are selling at - for that money you can get a much tidier example that hasn't been hacked about.

A quick look on Autotrader at private sales turned up these, for example... both of which are newer, straighter, more original and cheaper.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123389703387

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201120387469335

You may find someone with similar tastes/outlook that likes what you've done to the vehicle and be prepared to pay the extra for it but it will take longer to sell, depends how long you are willing to wait for the right buyer really.

Hi James, I hope you're well?

I too reckon that you might be too negative in your advert. I'm a strong believer in being 100% open and honest in adds with a large distance catchment area, as the buyer feels that you aren't hiding something that they'll discover having travelled 100 miles + to buy the truck, however there is a way of wording things, instead of 'chassis OK, could do with paint and waxoil', why not 'chassis 100% solid and original, no dodgy wax oil or re-paints to hide rusty horrors'?

I also think the comment about returning the vehicle to near standard is good, things like the locker box are useful to anyone, but the winch could fetch more seperately.

For a comparison on value, have a look at this - ex-RAF 300Tdi, it's over £1000 more once you add the VAT, but it's very very clean. With your accessories removed you be under cutting that by £1500 to £2000 and still end up getting the £4500 you want by the time you've sold the remaining bits. Or even keep the winch for the new truck :D

Hi guys

Thanks for the responses....appreciate the feedback. Think I'll remove the winch and bumper anyway (anyone got a standard defender front bumper they want to sell?), air intake and some other bits and pieces, and tidy it up a bit more.

Front seats not odd...completly standard. Bench seat is in rear as per many land rovers. But makes me think I need to word it more carefully.

Thanks

James

Another thing that helps massively is photos - lots of photos. If you put 20 photos on your eBay listing of all the bits people would usually crawl around and peek at / worry about (eg rust traps, tyre tread, any leaks, any bad points or new bits you mention in the words) it does really save 1000 words and a load of questions.

If people have to contact you to answer their question they may not bother (people are lazy) but if they can see a photo and read a description they are happy.

Taking good photos of the outside helps too - look at the shots/angles they use in magazines to make stuff look cool and copy them. Putting the camera low down for a front 3/4 shot always makes stuff look a bit imposing and impressive. Oh and don't use a camera phone unless it's a really good one.

Oh and don't use a camera phone unless it's a really good one.

I would say, find a friend with an SLR. Having really good photos makes a huge difference to the number of calls, and it's not difficult.

A wide lens will let you shoot impressive interior shots and imposing front shots.

Used correctly, it will also allow you to get all those underneath shots correctly exposed, even on a bright day. Something which camera phones are just rubbish at.

Words cannot express how important the listing text is as well, especially on eBay.

• Proper grammar.
  • No spelling errors.
  • A normal font, normal size and normal colour!
  • Well laid out, paragraphed with lists/bullet points etc. rather than one huge block of text.

The number of listings I see where the whole text entry is just one long sentence with spelling/grammar errors etc. is amazing.

That, and good quality photos (not a camera phone however good it is!) of a clean-looking car make so much of a difference in my opinion. Obviously if the car's a shed there's no way of getting around that, but then I wouldn't be expecting much interest in that case.

Remember, first impression is EVERYTHING...that goes for selling cars or meeting girls and everything in-between! :P

My SLRs take that old fashioned film stuff :)

Niamh

You dont need an SLR. you just need someone who take take good photos. Any fool can set Auto on an SLR and take point and shoot photos (why does the image not appear on the LCD screen? :rolleyes: )

I agree with all of the above. You need to be a 'salesman'.

Could be worse, you could have done this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-TDI-BLUE-4x4-expedition-/160598964465?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item256471b8f1

there was also a disco on this forum and ebay and his listing was shocking. carp photos, bad grammer and lines like 'had enough of you dreamers' 'got bigger and better coming from the states' 'will break if I have to'. Just a really bolshy attitude that makes genuine people stand off.

Not saying yours was like this, but these are some GOOD examples of BAD ways to sell your rover.

G