CB - what would you buy

JST

I bought the biggest one I could find. The quality is excelent and it is reliable. Cobra25. I have had small/cheap ones in the past and they are not well made or reliable - sound quality is questionable too, even with external speakers.

Chris

Midland 42 hand held plus car kit, brilliant bit of kit as you can use it as a walkie talkie and then plug it into the 12V and a proper aerial when you're in the car.

42_inter_b.gif

Never realised till I looked up that piccy, aparrently "The Alan 42 Multi is an extremely compact CB hand held with over 400 channels allowing you to use it all throughout Europe."

Stick 2000mAh digi camera batteries in it and it will run for days.

I also have a dead CB - anyone know of a place that might do CB repairs? I went to ask some of the ariel and coax retailers at Berling but none were interested.

There is a place down here in sunny Portsmouth called Nevada Radio.

Got my Maycom EM27 from them and all works a treat. Not fussed about the range as long as it works on site days and greenlane days :)

The Midland that I got off Eblag a couple of years ago never worked properly so Nevada fixed that too.

Handy for me as they are right on my doorstep... but pretty sure they do mailorder stuff.

Can anyone recommend a retailer selling bigger than 90watts?

Would Sir care to look here:

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/cb-amplifiers.html

Zetagi B300P Amplifier

Zetagi B300P Amplifier 20-30Mhz

Six way adjustable power output from this big amplifier, built-in pre-amp, input power 1-10watts FM, 1-20watts SSB, output power 70-200Watts AM/FM, 140-400Watts SSB. Size 180 x 160 x 70mm, and weighs in at 1.53Kg

ive got a local ham radio shop that does repairs. GWM radio i think, not sure if they have a website. thing is last repair cost £15 & i got the unit for £40, might as well just replace with a better one as most people i know have euro channels too, unlike me.

Midland 42 hand held plus car kit, brilliant bit of kit as you can use it as a walkie talkie and then plug it into the 12V and a proper aerial when you're in the car.

42_inter_b.gif

Never realised till I looked up that piccy, aparrently "The Alan 42 Multi is an extremely compact CB hand held with over 400 channels allowing you to use it all throughout Europe."

Stick 2000mAh digi camera batteries in it and it will run for days.

Yep, got one of those = very good. Being mobile is usefull too.

Got from Knights as listed above in SG's post, nearly new with 12 month warranty for £80.

Guest diesel_jim

PMR is also good, lots of channels to choose from, good clear quality reception. only trouble is not everyone has them, whereas CB is popular.

The pain is having to have both in the cab to accomodate everyone! :rolleyes:

PMR is also good, lots of channels to choose from, good clear quality reception. only trouble is not everyone has them

FRS/GMRS is even better, like PMR with 4W+ power, only even less people have them in the UK, maoinly cos they ain't legal ;)

cheers for the replies guys, Thunderpole and Midland are looking good so far looking at the Midland 78 multi plus for the Europe part as well.

Raplh - what antenna are you using? std whip?

I've got a handheld one but wouldn't recommend it if it's just going to stay in the truck all the time. The speaker isn't all that loud, it bounces around as it's not fixed anywhere properly and you've got more wires in the way.

I've never got round to using it seperately from the vehicle as you have to swap aerials over and battery packs. I haven't got a fixed unit in the 90 yet so there's no way to contact the person in the vehicle when you're elsewhere anyway!

I'd look for a solid one that stays in the vehicle with a decent speaker.

Richard

cheers for the replies guys, Thunderpole and Midland are looking good so far looking at the Midland 78 multi plus for the Europe part as well.

Raplh - what antenna are you using? std whip?

Yep, standard whip on a gutter mount for my CB, can't remember where I got the anttenna from, think it's this one