My 8x8 idea

And article 3

post-1339-0-77352000-1314546110_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-98353700-1314546145_thumb.jpg

I didn't find the write up I was looking for originally, from Overlander4x4around '84-'86 showing the steering shafts connecting the 2 steering boxs and steering column .

May have some pic's of the one close to me soon for you all

Anyway , a bit of history ;)

cheers

Steveb

The Esarco, due to poor interaxle articulation and lack of axle load sharing interconnection just wasn't that great an offroad performer, and unless you are prepared to do some serious engineering to build a driveline with relatively long and level propshafts, that will allow you to build a suspension that really flexes,then IMO your creations performance will be a dissapointment to you as well.Having built a high mobility 6x6 with LandRover components back in the late 1970s, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't go that way again.IMO there is no cheap simple way to build a decent 8x8 driveline,and if I were doing this,assuming they could still be found, I would get hold of 4 Peugeot worm drive diff assemblies,graft LandRover hubs onto them and swivel housings onto a pair, have double ended worm shafts cut for the middle pair of axles and build a very strong helically geared 2 shaft drop box to bolt to number 3 diff.All diffs would be offset to the same side for optimum ground clearance instead of the staggered mess of the Esarco, All diffs would be flipped to place the wormshafts high, and all connected together with propshafts.The 2 shaft drop box corrects the rotation of the flipped diffs. A dog clutch in the drop box will transmit or alternately disconnect drive to the front pair of axles, therefore a transfercase would not be required. A gearbox with an inline 2 speed reduction box behind it, ala Nissan Patrol, fitted with aftermarket crawler gears would drive directly into the top shaft of the drop box of number 3 diff.I would make my own difflocks or talk nicely to mr Ashcroft to see if he can adapt his nice Landy ones to the Peugeot diffs.

If you Google AEC 8x8 Government RoadTrain, I think there is a schematic drawing of the type of driveline I'm describing, just on a larger heavier scale. The longditudal,inverted,centrally pivoted leaf spring suspension with control rods is what i would use as well for simplicity and effectiveness.I think I'd prefer the two front axles do the steering though.

Edit. A contemporary option to the peugeot diffs,i just remembered that there is a company in the USA that modifies the deep hypoid offset Ford 9" pinions into thru drives. These are super strong and come in a wide range of ratios, plus ready availability of difflocks.Same deal though, no need for one transfercase, never mind two.

Engine and gearbox would remain in stock locations. It'd be a forward control a bit like a 101. So you'd sort of sit on top and slightly in front of the engine. Suspect my cut & paste pic would need the cab moving forward a tad to reflect this better.

Here's the inspiration behind the idea. This is a H.U.G.O. which is a development of an Esarco. As you can see it's got rather a lot of Landy bits on it.

8x8.jpg

The engine would be under an access panel. It would mean turning the cab into a 4 seater losing the middle seat. But I'd be fine with that.

OSR200.jpg

I'd like to try and keep it looking a little more Land Rover at the front though, more Series IIb FC. And use Defender radiator panel, grill and lights.

The drivetrain would look something like this:

Esarcodrivetrain.jpg

Engine and gearbox and first transfer case in stock locations. Keep the front axle all stock. And the rear most axle in the same place, although I'd run radius arms at the rear and a steering box on what would have been an old front axle.

Move the existing axle to position 3 and axle 2 would be what would have been the rear axle from your second donor vehicle. From the PTO on the first transfer box power a 2nd transfer box, which in turn powers axles 2 and 4.

I was thinking you'd simply weld some upper spring perches in place for axles 2 and 3 and then run a turret mounted shock to keep it simple and easy. Maybe something like a Pro Comp +2" shock and then some 110 +1" lift spings all round and dislocation cones on each of the 8 turrets.

You could also hook up the brakes on all the axles, although I wonder if a bigger servo might be needed.

I know it seems like a little OTT, but I just can't help thinking... "it's all Land Rover bits, just bolt them in together in a slightly different order to normal".

Should it work you'd have a vehicle not much longer than a 110, with a tight turning circle. Great visibility, good load and towing ability and I suspect something that would be more gentle on the weak Rover alxes and diffs.

8x8 traction means it should go well of road and possibly even articulate quite well with extended shocks and suitable springs.

Hi Chicken Drumstick,

Do not cut up a perfectly good (or otherwise) LR chassis to do this! As has been stated before all you need is a very simple straight beam chassis. It does not need any "ups and downs" in it at all.

You are correct that the engine/gearbox can remain in the stock position and if you follow the layout in the schematic of the ESARCO then you will not go far wrong. It is also I believe, no longer copyright protected but you would have to check that yourself!!

Plenty of alternative suspension and drive layouts are possible, and have mostly been suggested. Assuming you're an amateur vehicle builder (like me) then the ESARCO is a surprisingly basic layout, with the majority of major mechanical items being standard components. The actual operation of the vehicle is elegantly simple. When you look at it you find yourself saying "why didn't I think of that!"

Before you start, as with any build, decide exactly what you want to achieve. The ESARCO is a high mobility load platform, not an extreme off-roader. You will run into problems with propshaft angles if you try to achieve long suspension travel (the standard vehicle had enough problems with prop uj's and vibration running very little travel)

If you decide to go ahead with it good luck :blink:

All the best,

Giles

• 1 month later...

Bump! Any progress on this idea, even if only on paper or the computer screen?

Bill.

Hi, no more progress yet I'm afraid, just starting to gather bits I'll need. Although if I'm honest I don't expect to make much progress until after winter. Once I finish up a few more sketches I'll post them up though.

• 7 months later...

cheecky BUMP

i had an '86 issue of LRO with the ESARCO in and ive loved them ever since.

the drive line is nice and simple and pretty amazing tbh.

personally id have a big diesel in it and run it on interlinked parabolics due to not having enough travel in the props to get much flex

IIRC the 1st n 3rd axles were ran on the road and then the 2nd transfer box was engaged by a dog clutch when the going got tough.

you could have it twin steer with a steering rear axle for offroad only though this reduce the turning circle as it would pivot around the 3rd axle instead of between the 2nd and 3rd.

to steer the rear axle you could use the gywn lewis assistor ram that runs off the PAS box with a mech lock for the highway

from the looks of the drawing is has dual servos/brake masters which is understandable... but theyre mounted near the 2nd transfer box in the diagram... which is weird?

also i doubt you will have to flip any diffs as the transfer boxes are running PTO to PTO so its reversing the rotation that way.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Oh god, it's that prat with the "monster" disco :ph34r: he was a big hit on Pirate4x4 when he told them all how extreme he was :hysterical:

Have you got a link? I enjoy reading Pirate Flaming threads ;)

Si

Here's him introducing his Discovery to the appreciative colonials:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678939

And here's him trying again with that 8x8 defender:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026862

Usual Pirate4x4 warning about swearing etc. on those links. Also severe danger of snorting coffee out of your nose laughing at the comments :ph34r:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f16/8x8-defender-187040.html

A few more pics of it here ;)

I fail to understand how he's addressed the problem of dragging his rear tyres on corners or building transmission wind up between the rear axles leading to something going bang? Would it not either need rear steer or steering on both front axles a la HGV tipper lorrys?

Ah that makes sense!

I would be rather concerned about driving it on the road, I can imagine it handles like a farm quadbike with a solid rear axle i.e. when you turn on tarmac nothing happens as the tyres fight each other then the back end 'jumps' around.

He said on the Pirate thread (very funny btw) that he plans to tow a show trailer with it, that can't be safe if my above thoughts are correct?