HYDROGEN GENERATOR KIT

Lorrick

Any Chemists out there :rolleyes: Something I came across as I was looking into building one,was a hydrogen generator as there are a lot of dealers in the US Raving about it ;) and a local car dealer I met was running his recovery truck with one and was saying how good it was. You can see them on Web pages they are a small Hydrogen generator kit that fits in the engine bay and through Electrolysis makes around 3 Liters of Hydrogen and Oxygen a minuet that is then fed into the air intake. Looking at the Chemistry side of life as they say it should make the fuel burn more cleanly and more efficiently , and improve performance and mpg, not a lot but some. Has anyone out there used or look into this system, and advice welcome :)

Regards

Richard

I'm no expert so this is little more than a guess but the amount of hydrogen and oxygen produced will be in exactly the right ratio to react back into water again.

Therefore I don't see how any more diesel will burned by the addition of extra oxygen as the hydrogen will use it up.

That is unless perhaps the reaction changes the temperature/pressure of the combustion chamber thus causing the diesel to burn more efficiently.

If that was the case you would expect car manufacturers to use this effect themselves to increase efficiency and reduce emissions.

Since they do not, then I will only believe this works when I see some hard evidence.

Till then it's snake oil.

Only my opinion though :D

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, very explosive mixture. I'm afraid you're trying to make free energy here, which doesn't exist, it requires just as much energy in electrical form, if not more to split water into it's elements, therefore you shouldn't be gaining any energy. Energy is never created nor is it lost, it can only change state, fuel is stored energy, it is burnt to create thermal energy and the internal combustion engine turns this into kinetic energy, along with a lot of wasted heat and sound energy. If it's such a good idea, why havnt car manufacturers already implemented such a device

It certainly sounds like an interesting idea. Indeed, much more of technically rational concept for improving efficiency than one of the ridiculous (IMO) Hi-Clone 'swirler things'.

I don’t agree with some of the previous comments which say that it won’t work because the law of conservation of energy says it won’t. Although, I’m not saying it will work. It’s about balancing the equations. The diesel that runs through my Defender’s engine most certainly doesn’t undergo stoichiometric combustion (or anywhere close) therefore, energy is wasted on non-useful energy transfer. Assuming that the addition of H2 to the mixture increases combustion efficiency, then it is plausible that the energy gain from increased useful energy transfer is greater than the increased electrical load.

My suggestion would be to obtain some of the SAE papers cited in this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_enhancement. At least that way you may be able to assess the extent to which you will increase efficiency from a (supposedly) impartial source, as a pose to the marketed BS from these American suppliers (I’m sure I saw 50-100% improvement claimed on one of the sites! :lol: ) Skimming through some of the sources, I would suggest that you would have to be prepared to play with fuel:air mixtures to achieve best results.

Onto more practical considerations - What’s the engine that this will be fitted to? What kind of efficiency is expected from the electrolysis? And how would this modification affect insurance?

I’d be genuinely interested in hearing the details of your setup and results, and by all means prove these snake oil cynics wrong. Good luck!

From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy) I got the following info:

"...Electrolysis of water

Hydrogen can be made via high pressure electrolysis or low pressure electrolysis of water. Current best processes have an efficiency of 50% to 80%,[21][22][23] so that 1 kg of hydrogen (which has an energy density of 143 MJ/kg, about 40 kWh/kg) requires 50 to 79 kWh of electricity..."

I understand that in order to produce 1 Kilo of H2 I have to spend 50-79KWh. This is from the car alternator and it consumes fuel to produce this electricity.

This 1 kilo of H2 gives me 40KWh...therefore I am loosing energy.

BUT there is a big BUT. A car can produce "cheap" electricity when the engine is braking the car (the engine is rotating with no fuel consumption, which causes the alternator to rotate and produce electricity for almost free). So it this is not a straight answer. I guess it is a very sophisticated calculation or a try and error thing...

I don’t agree with some of the previous comments which say that it won’t work because the law of conservation of energy says it won’t. Although, I’m not saying it will work.

:rolleyes: so do we file this one with black holes, dark matter.... :D

This has come up before with everyone dismissing it as snake oil - there is however something in it. I wonder if this time anyone will bother to read this.

Yes - the energy produced by burning the H2 and O2 in the engine will be less that than required to generate it in the first place.

BUT!....

The flammable gas in the air charge improves the time taken for the diesel spray to burn - therefore producing a more complete burn of the diesel injected. This is where the extra power comes from - not from the calorific value of the H2 and O2.

However - you will only get a gain in power over a very small rev range, and only on a suitable engine, an early DI engine for example, where swirl is very poor.

An automotive version to fit to your car however - is most likely snake oil.

You inject water into the system helps mop up all sorts of unburnt hydrocarbons and other bits. I've not looked at the chemistry for some time, I know they play with water mist injection on marine diseal engines to mostly improve the NOX and SOX, which is rather substantial for heavy fuel engines.

Marine diesels are on the fore front of efficiency gains, I'm not sure anyone has created anything over 49% thermaly efficient, most automotive engines are around 40%

It all depends on what you're looking at - certainly for improving efficiency, this is a given that you wont be able to improve the efficiecy of a standard factory engine, you can make it more "economical" different cheaper fuel (veg oil) it will cost you less but make your system holey less efficient. - I might have slipped off topic, but hey ho.

Mav

I've got a friend here in Switzerland who fitted one to a 4.0L Merc diesel in a van. No computers or anything, just a simple mechanical injection pump. It has had sweet DA effect on fuel consumption. He thinks the engine runs smoother buts that's it. The supplier snake oil merchant now says he needs to fit a reostat to control the rate of hydrogen production as it varies relative to engine rpm and the solution strength in the generator. He is suposed to twiddle the knob to optimize the hydrogen generation as he drives. Oh, that didn't work either so now it needs to go in for 'tuning' as his engine has no computer to sense the changes and optimize the timing etc. That's a hell of a lot of tuning to go from no effect to the claimed 30% fuel saving.

Oh but he's sold it to LOTS of truckers who are raving about it - apparently quietly to thmeselves and not in a public forum - and not providing any recorded fuel consumption data. No one ever has the data just a 'Oh it gives a 30% improvement.' every time.

Its fun to listen to but utter BS.

It's not about the energy that comes form reacting hydrogen and ogen, it's how the hydrogen (brown's gas IICRC) reacts with the deisel.

Bosch have spent some considerable money researching this over the last few years, though I don't know how far they got, at a place on the Science and technology park in town.

Interesting there is no feedback for that Ebay seller for one of those things, but looking through his feedback I see he sells hamburgers that are speakers as well!

Mini Hamburger Speaker For iPhone 4G iPod