Greasing wheelbearings

Don't cram them, I find it takes less time :)

No real need to, as the grease warms up it will move around nicely, I have never taken a bearing I put in apart and thought 'I should have put more greare in there!', so I can't be doing much wrong :)

A good application inside the hub/outer race and splodged over the inner race and rubbed in a bit before fitting is fine IMHO.

Not all grease is waterproof - in fact not many are. I have been told by a normally reliable source that coating a bit of freshly sand-blasted steel with thin stripes of various greases and leaving it out in the rain for a few days will show that rust forms under the normal grease as air and water make it through. I was also told that waterproof grease is generally not as good as normal at the business of lubrication, although I would be surprised if it has clay in it...

I use normal (moly) for lubrication where it is expected to stay dry, but waterproof for things like threads, door locks etc which are exposed.

The JCB grease looks interesting - might be the best of both worlds...

I dont use grease on landrover wheelbearings anymore. I used to run grease in the fronts and oil in the rears. I've had to replace the fronts a few times, but never the rears. So I now removed the seals to the CV's and run oil in the fronts too.

Daan

The oil will get in OK, there's no doubt about that.

This method is only any good if your stub axle seal lands (where the hub seals run) are in perfect nick. Mine aren't, and the hub seals only last a month or two before the axle oil makes it's way out. I'm going to revert to greased bearings on the front now, to match the rear, and just re-grease the bearings once or twice a year.

Hi On our Force9 hubs, which we expect to be abused, we evolved a simple method of greasing/oiling the wheel brgs. In the Force9 we have 10 drive member bolts but you could do similar with a 5 bolt fitting.

With the hub removed and stripped two of the M10 bolt holes, at 180deg, are extended towards the center of the hub using a 5mm or similar drill. Two holes are then drill radially crossing the end of the extended M5 holes, to form a gallery coming out between the two bearings. The outer part of the radial hole is then plugged leaving a gallery down the M10 hole into the center of the hub between the bearings.

When necessary to re oil or grease the hub, remove two opposing bolts pump grease into one untill it comes out of the other , then replace the fixing bolts (fit the last bolt slowly to avoid blowing the seal out!!. It is recommended this is done after each event to push out water/crud that has entered via the seal. :)

Ian Ashcroft

• 2 weeks later...

I have a method which seems to work well.

Using an old pan and a camping stove - unless you're single and can get away with doing it in the kitchen - warm some grease so its reasonably runny, drop bearings in, stir and remove from the heat. Allow to cool, remove and hey presto, a nicely packed bearing.

Stu.

• 1 month later...
Hi On our Force9 hubs, which we expect to be abused, we evolved a simple method of greasing/oiling the wheel brgs. In the Force9 we have 10 drive member bolts but you could do similar with a 5 bolt fitting.

With the hub removed and stripped two of the M10 bolt holes, at 180deg, are extended towards the center of the hub using a 5mm or similar drill. Two holes are then drill radially crossing the end of the extended M5 holes, to form a gallery coming out between the two bearings. The outer part of the radial hole is then plugged leaving a gallery down the M10 hole into the center of the hub between the bearings.

When necessary to re oil or grease the hub, remove two opposing bolts pump grease into one untill it comes out of the other , then replace the fixing bolts (fit the last bolt slowly to avoid blowing the seal out!!. It is recommended this is done after each event to push out water/crud that has entered via the seal. :)

Ian Ashcroft

Just the other day I actually noticed that a series hub is made similar to that! One of the bolts has a hole going directly into the gallery between the two bearings, so I'll simply drill through a bolt and fit a grease point and screw in that bolt when I have to grease up the bearings

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 50ml syringe that has a spout which is a perfect fit between the outer cage and the inner race. I push grease between every roller and one syringe fill will easily grease 2 bearings. It only takes a minute to do each bearing - easy.

I would always advise greasing new or reused bearings. Hub seals (and their running surfaces) in good condition keep the water out fairly well. Always grease the seal lips before fitting the hub to the stub axle. Even if you plan to use oil to lubricate the bearings, a dry seal will destroy itself before any oil has got that far.

If the stub axle faces are worn/corroded the best solution is to replace them. A new seal won't last 5 minutes on a surface like that.

Series axles had the wearing surface as a replaceable part. The old ring could be cut/split off and the new one heated up in an oven and fitted to the stub (a shrink on fit). I have one in the garage :D

However newer axles don't have this luxury. My normal practice (as the owner of a lathe) is to spin the stub and polish the grooved area. I have even turned a small amount off the diameter if the corrosion is bad and repolished the surface. A new seal has a good deal of stretch over the stub, so there is a little to play with here.