BMW diesel M57 conversion

tacr2man

Hi,

I am very slowly doing this. Engine is in, coupled to gearbox and engine mounts were made, but now had a change of plans and re doing them. However got side tracked on to fitting the portal axles and hydro steering. Can post up pictures/info if you want?

The engine will eat R380 gear boxes by all acounts. I have fitted a Rakeway modified tremec TKO 500 instead. Engine fits very nicely into a 90 engine bay.

Adrian

Well Adrian, what we really want is a build thread of your and Pauls car in the members vehicle section. You cant just mention it to us all like this and than leave us guessing what it is going to look like.

Daan

correct, build threads please.

• 2 weeks later...

... Love the sound of 6 pots in a row :D.

Have to agree. I had a nissan LD-28 in my 90 before I V8'd it. Lovely smooth free reving thing it was. TD5 is close but that extra pot makes a big difference. Does anyone run LD-28's over in UK? They were a popular conversion for 90's and Series trucks here in NZ due to the used Jap imports flooding in during the late 80's.

Have to agree. I had a nissan LD-28 in my 90 before I V8'd it. Lovely smooth free reving thing it was. TD5 is close but that extra pot makes a big difference. Does anyone run LD-28's over in UK? They were a popular conversion for 90's and Series trucks here in NZ due to the used Jap imports flooding in during the late 80's.

A good friend of mine (well he was a good friend until he violated a Landrover with Jap parts) stuck a Nissan SD33 from a Patrol into his 88" a few years ago.

As much as it pains me to say this, that whopping great 6 pot revved very smoothly. Copious amounts of grunt on tap. Shame Landrover never had such an engine back then.

will cost you a huge amount of money to keep one of these in fine fettle.

has 6 injectors- at 10 years old they will all need replacing at some point (at least every person i know, including me, who has owned a 330d has had to do this), and this costs at least £190/injector. They should be considered consumable parts- and considering the pressure they run under thats not surprising!

the turbo isn't lke an old 300tdi turbo, but a modern turbo under very high performance- mine lasted 80k miles over 160k miles and cost getting on to £700 to replace on each occasion. The engine on top will cost you a pretty penny just to purchase.

As to the performance curve- for low speed work it might struggle- it wasn't very powerful low down, bt really came on boost strongly. Would work really well offroad attached to an auto, but you could struggle with a manual. Would be a great enginefor comp safari though as its small and reasonably light for so much power. They can of course be tuned to 260bhp odd.

On the flip side it might be better value installing a TD5, with a variable boost turbo, a big intercooler and propane injection and you'll probably get similar power!

I do know that the 4.2tdi as found in the landcruiser and nissan stuff can produce 320bhp with mahoosive intercooolers and a "bit" of a pump tweak.

will cost you a huge amount of money to keep one of these in fine fettle.

has 6 injectors- at 10 years old they will all need replacing at some point (at least every person i know, including me, who has owned a 330d has had to do this), and this costs at least £190/injector.

Bargain! the audi vw injectors are £500 a pop.