200Tdi Daily Drive

Managed to get myself a nice rebuilt 200tdi 110 DC, Lt 77 box ..... be interested to hear opinions from folks driving a 200tdi for the daily drive,

Upgrade to disco transfer box or run 285s or 255s ?

Intercooler upgrade etc.

Soundproofing ?

Thanks

Nidge.

Mine is my daily drive. Often do 300 mile plus trips in it. Amongst other things, I've fitted an uprated intercooler, tweaked the fuel pump, fitted a GKN overdrive and RRC front seats. Just fitted an eberspacher heater for the winter. I'm gradually working on sound proofing too.

Some with 110s hate the disco box, others love it - i cant advise personally as i have kept the 1.4:1 box and fitted an OD.

Recently changed from an '87 90 with disco conversion to a 110 csw factory fit 200tdi - both daily drivers, both lt77, both running the same 235/85 16's on steels.

The 90 with the disco conversion had more go about it but seemed to run out of grunt before the 110 does, but the 110 is much more refined with a softer ride. The 110 has all the factory carpet and sound deadening (in the cab and engine bay) and is comfortable noise wise cruising at 70. The 90 had all it's trim stripped and it is difficult to have a conversation at 60 or above.

Mods to date are just a cubby box instead of centre seat and exmoor trim 2nd row seats. In the process of fitting webasto and have many more mods planned - intercooler/svo conversion etc.

Have a disco lt230 on the bench ready to fit, but not had the time to fit it yet!

Dave.

Thanks for your imput fellas, seams the 200 will be fine as a daily drive with the right gearing,power and soundproofing.

My initial thoughts are larger tyre 255s to up the gearing a tad and a full with allisport intercooler, and some cab soundproofing.

Coming drown from a 03 td5 110 XS with all the trimmings so was just a little concerned. :blink:

Nidge.

You will likely miss the extra poke of the Td5. I know I do when I swap between vehicles at work. Our Td5 is a lot noiser than my 90 though, which I put down to it being basic spec and therefore not very soundproofed. Probably a few extra toys on your 03 Td5 as well, plus the (in my opinion) nicer dash layout. Not trying to put you off, just be aware that the 200Tdi is a much simpler more agricultural lump that lacks somewhat in refinement and power compared to the much more modern Td5 :)

The great thing about it is that pretty much all the things you might find yourself missing from your Td5 can be fitted to your 200Tdi with a little imagination. Central locking, electric windows, later dash/gauges, soundproofing, heated seats/screen etc.

Well first impressions... the 200tdi and LT 77 box are very loud, especially on tick over !! But the rest of the car is top notch Galv everywhere.

Exploring the option of putting in a 300tdi and R380 box .. anyone know a good source for a second hand unit ??

Nigel.

very nice indeed.

i've got a 200tdi in my 88,110.converted from petrol.since i've had it i've changed the T/Box to a 1.4(running 35"),upgraded the intercooler to an RS500 race item and opened up the pwr steering port.various other odds and sods.

the intercooler upgrade and usual pump tweeks have made it easier to live with.i can even overtake people now :hysterical:

Nidge, Very nice tidy looking truck there, I love the fact someone has gone to the extent of galv'ing all the steel work on it should last you a very long time-now get a tracker on it and hide it at night before some light fingered git comes along and takes it away from you