Winter driving must have on board list..

verminhunter

Hi I will be driving 500 miles on the day I pick up my 90, 20th December my misus just asked what you going to put in the 90 incase the weather turns bad etc.. Well I know there will be the common sense things like a good warm coat, torch, spare fuel,spare alternator belt, random tools, gloves..bla bla..

Maybe essential tool list, 10mm spanner, hoseclip driver etc..

Thought it may be a god idea to put a list together that anyone can add to so we can all use it for reference.. as I know I will deff forget something, but a list may well reduce the risk of forgetting a well common sense item..lol

Sorry in advance if this has been done..

Warm coat,

Hi vis,

Torch,

spare alt belt,

spare fuel,

gloves,

de-icer,

spare bulbs & fuses,

phone charger for the ciggy lighter.

AA batteries and LED torch.

sleeping bag and rug.

warm hat, gloves.

a decent book road atlas (paper one) forget gps.

small fm radio with 2 AA batteries.( if you get stuck you can listen to forecast, news, celine dion without flattening the vehicle battery.

2 litres fresh bottled water

decent boots & Walking gear, lets face it if its bad you'll be using shanks pony

Stow it all in a 40/45 litres rucksack (except the boots)

for hot drinks a screw top metal thermal mug flask 500ml, and an element heater for ciggy lighter if your engine is on.

assortment of soup, hot choclate, etc. Bag of boiled sweets.

A full change of clothing covers a lot of situations. Don't forget outdoor trousers of some sort - wet jeans are heavy, cold and uncomfortable.

I've rarely needed more than a clean shirt or a dry pair of socks, but the extra space and weight is minimal.

Dump the flask, get a cheap portable stove. If you're out for any time at all, the flask will be cold or empty, even if you *did* remember to fill it!

Not by any means essential, but if you own a jumpstart pack, it'll be bu66er all use at home in the shed...

Of course it depends very much on the situation too. If I'm only driving 3½ miles to work I'm rather unlikely to get into trouble, and if I do come a cropper I'm never farther than a mile or two from civilisation.

A longer drive out somewhere more remote would lead to me packing more things in. Packing appropriately to the conditions is as important as packing at all :)

I'd recommend something to kneel on.... nothing worse than kneeling or laying in the cold or wet trying to check or fix something.

We're not showing much confidence in your new purchase are we? :P

When I bought my TDI I only had to drive it 200 miles and it was summer... but it did have blown inlet manifold gasket (so effectively no turbo boost at all), and more transmission slack than you'd have thought possible .... but I made it :) ... oh and the heater was broken something that would have mattered a bit more in December than August!

Oh and don't forget a hat, nice warm hat is always worthwhile :)

Pick up a cheap picnic rug with a waterproof backing on one side, ideal for lying on under the motor and a little bit of insulation from cold ground.

Tools wise I guess a half inch socket set, 1/4" socket set, hammer, screwdrivers, hub nut box spanner and prop nut tool should be enough to cope with most emergencies.

Spares I usually keep are an axle set of wheel bearings, couple of UJs and water and alternator belts.

Waterproof over trousers and coat. Blanket or sleeping bag.

If we're out for the day we usually take a flask full of boiled water to use to boil up again on the gas ring then top the flask up with fresh water that can be boiled while we're drinking tea/soup etc.

Phone / CB, if it's really that bad then let someone know what/where you are doing/going and what time you should be back just in case.

Best thing to take though would be a healthy dose of common sense I guess!

Ive got a friend taking me up, providing I buy it he is then going home and I am going to Doncaster to pick up my mum. Then im driving back to Paignton. So a fair drive and having mum on board I need to make sure she will be ok if we get held up in snow.

I can't walk too far as I had both legs crushed at work a few years ago and am still recovering. So just trying to cover all situations, it's just my luck it snows like hell and the M5 comes to a standstill.

In which case take a few blankets for mum to wrap up warm, in case you do get stuck in a massive tailback and have to turn engine off. With all the tea and water people are recommending your biggest problem will be finding a toilet when you need it ;)

Will your legs hold up ok if you are in stop start traffic? not sure how heavy the clutch is in a TD5.

Must be a good mate to do that trip for you :) Good luck, you'll have a fun trip :)

Yea my legs are mostly titanium now so I should be ok.. A good friend indeed I believe in helping friends out and most of the time they will step forward when you need a hand. One good turn and all that, It's proved true in this case.

It was both my femurs that were crushed just above the knees by a 1969 Ford Mustang. My boss was driving it in the workshop and missed the brake somehow and pushed me through a wall!

But I'm back on it it will take more than that to stop me.

As I see it, there's two unknowns here:

- What will the weather do?

- Will the vehicle be reliable?

Weather-wise, some warm gear is a good idea and the usual emergency stuff, can of fuel, gallon of water maybe.

Car-wise, AA/RAC/Britannia (my vote) membership is the easiest way to deal with most things that may arise within the UK.

The possibility that the weather turns bad and you're stuck because of everyone else being stuck makes me think of a couple of things: GPS, and a good old fashioned map. A 90 shouldn't get caught out by bad weather, but navigating around everyone else could be tricky if roads get closed/blocked etc. even if you know the usual way.

Chargers for everything (phone, GPS) are a good call too, mobiles (esp. smart phones) can munch batteries very quickly when you're on-hold to the AA etc.

I don't know how 'Defender aware' you are but you may well need blankets for mum and warm boots and clothing even if the traffic does keep moving...

Other than that I think all the bases are well covered above.

By the way - well done for surviving! Hope you didn't damage the Mustang too much ( ;) )

Roger

My last defender was a td5 90 and the heater was spot on. The one I'm hopefully getting is a 2000 model with 48k on the clock with full service history, really good General Grabber Tyres all round and the owner is of the type to do work before it becomes an issue. The only addons are swing away spare carrier, some spotlamps and a modest A bar. So not too molestered.

He has fitted a wide angle prop to the front after the standard one failed, he said the wide angle prop has made the 90 develop a small vibration at about 60 mph, is this common with these props? He has had the standard one rebuilt and will be letting me have that too.

I will be crawling underneath and greasing all the joints before I set off to get mum, and getting it checked at my friends garage near my mums before I set off back to Devon. I can't wait to be piloting a defender again, I have lathes and milling machines at home and will be making all sorts of stuff for it.

I wanted a Tomb Raider 90 but my budget wouldn't go far enough. So I will make my own special edition..

I didn't damage the Mustang too much just a small dent in the bonnet where my face landed.. Been a Northerner I took it well.. The surgeon told me I had more breaks in one of my legs than Barry Sheen had in all his crashes put together. He gave up counting at 475... "Best describe your femurs as powderised" he said. So my advice is never headbutt a horse, or 'hoss' if up north.

In which case take a few blankets for mum to wrap up warm, in case you do get stuck in a massive tailback and have to turn engine off. With all the tea and water people are recommending your biggest problem will be finding a toilet when you need it ;)

I keep an old blanket in mine, can also be used to kneel on etc as needed.

A tow rope hasn't been mentioned! Handy to have, may need to tow someone out of your way, of course :D

Military rations are very usefull, nothing else neede to heat them up and they'll give you the energy to continue for a while.

I try to have some cereal bars and bottles of water in all of my cars at all times, just in case I'm out longer then expected. Even with a lot of tools and spares, you'll never be able to fix everything that might go wrong, so best to be prepared to wait it out until help arrives.

You could take a full tool cabinet and a ton of fluids, but what's the point? If you've got to do more than hit it with a hammer by the side of the road, call the AA and get recovered home in a nice warm truck and then worry about fixing it in the safety & warmth of the workshop.

You could take a full tool cabinet and a ton of fluids, but what's the point? If you've got to do more than hit it with a hammer by the side of the road, call the AA and get recovered home in a nice warm truck and then worry about fixing it in the safety & warmth of the workshop.

What is this you speak of?! :unsure: