How long? Heated windscreen

My 90 has a heated windscreen fitted which I have not needed to test since I have owned the car. Yesterday I had to use the car early and there was still a good covering of frost on the screen so once the engine was running I turned on the screen - it is fed through a timer relay. I was not expecting an instant result but the screen seemed to take a long time to melt the covering if ice - I would estimate two minutes before the wiper were able towrope the screen clear. Does this sound too long? I guess I was rather expecting 30 seconds...

Cheers

Chris

I generally spray my 'screen to shift the hard frost.

Mine's on two timer relays. On a damp morning whe the inside has a slight coating of mist/ condensation the 'screen generally clears in seconds on the inside. I can't remember about the outside but as I say I try to help the clearence.

You, well I have to, clean the side windows so I spray the screen at the same time.

Now where can I get heated side windows ? LOL

<p style="margin-left: 40px">Our disco 2 doesnt have it - But my Puma clears in about 2 minutes  that and the heated seats have turned me into a right softy, the S1, SII, and the 110 V8 Dont get used winter mornings,once youve tried heated seats & heated screen, its hard to go back!</p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px"> </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px">Does anyone have any experience of, or has anyone fitted engine pre-heaters to a puma defender? </p>

Just as a question about heated screens.... are the fine wire elements nearer to one surface than the other?

My guess is they would be nearer the inside surface to demist the screen quickly which is the more likely need in this country. So when it comes to melting the ice it will take longer as it has to heat a thicker layer of glass.... does that make sense? or am I totally wrong?

"Now where can I get heated side windows ? LOL ", you laugh, but a few years ago I approached Pilkington on just such a subject! Evidently it wouldn't be too difficult to do as the windows are just flat glass, the problem would be in the wiring, I thought about using "telephone" style telescopic stuff, but couldn't find any of a sutable rating.

"Now where can I get heated side windows ? LOL ", you laugh, but a few years ago I approached Pilkington on just such a subject! Evidently it wouldn't be too difficult to do as the windows are just flat glass, the problem would be in the wiring, I thought about using "telephone" style telescopic stuff, but couldn't find any of a sutable rating.

If they can heat the rear side windows why not the important ones at the front. I don't think curly wiring would really be a problem...

If they can heat the rear side windows why not the important ones at the front. I don't think curly wiring would really be a problem...

Perhaps you could have a set of contacts on a vertical pole that the window runner sits between and picks up current at any height?

I like the idea of heated side screens too...one to look into I think! I'm sure with some decent flexible cable and a bit of thought as to the routing it would be possible. Wouldn't like to imagine the current draw on a 110 SW with heated glass all-round though :P

A few minutes sounds right to me, my Focus used to take about that long to defrost an iced up windscreen. About as long as it took me to scrape the door windows. When it was just misted up on the inside it cleared pretty much instantaneously.

My 2002 TD5 Defender has a heated front screen. To be honest it is not brilliant at clearing the screen when it is really frosted up, but once you have scraped the ice from the screen it keeps the frost off until the heater (eventually) kicks in!