Best tool for re-filling diffs etc with gear oil.

smokinv8

I have used both the hose pipe and funnel, i find it a pain when trying to do the rear diff. I have used the old diff oil container with a flexiable spout and had trouble with that one on both front and rear diffs. So i went and brought some large oil safe containers....and am converted.

Yes they are spendy but makes it so much easier. However I would say, unless you have arms like a monkey then get the smaller version, so that when lying under the LR, if it's close to the ground, you can pump it whilst being under there. Helps prevent overfilling it, especially if you use one to fill the TBox and/or the GBox as you can see when it starts to overfill.

Garden sprayer with the nozzle left off and the aluminium pipe bent over-as a hook shape to get into the diffs/T box and I have one for the gearbox too, Yes as others have said it Is a bit slow but works very well, saves getting oil and atf etc all over the place when you're trying to fill one of the above

John

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2661

you can pick them up from most draper stockests

Every one of those I have owned (quite a few) has always allowed oil to leak past the plunger seals, thus loosing plenty of oil onto the floor.

Now I use one similar to this in a 20 litre drum. I bought mine 2nd hand on the bay. Bit spendy otherwise.

The nozzle is right angled so gets into diffs, trf box or main box fillers easily.

Note that the OilSafe's are good except for one aspect.

The pump does not reach the bottom of the drum, so you cannot pump out the last 2 litres from a 10 litre drum.

You can from the 5 litre drum though, so unless you are going to be putting a lot of oil in something this is a better option.

I have had one for several years and it works well, not cheap but a lot less than any more commercial use variant that I could find.

You can normally get a good price if you get one from them at one of the shows, I believe the current plan is to go to most of the shows this year.

I've used a big (2 litre?) metal syringe for many years on all sorts of vehicles. It's simple and versatile, the flexible 'spout' allowing you to use it in all angles/positions. I think i got it from difflock about 8 or so years ago...

A bit like this, it is:

AK46.V2.jpg

I do them all with the 1ltr squeezy bottles like 19MART82 says. They're all easily accessible with that from underneath except for the LT77 main gearbox on mine, for which I just remove the transmission tunnel and do it from above inside the vehicle. Only needs doing every 36,000 miles anyway so hardly an inconvenience!

Every one of those I have owned (quite a few) has always allowed oil to leak past the plunger seals, thus loosing plenty of oil onto the floor.

Now I use one similar to this in a 20 litre drum. I bought mine 2nd hand on the bay. Bit spendy otherwise.

The nozzle is right angled so gets into diffs, trf box or main box fillers easily.

that is nice but a bit pricey,

i use a old 5lt fire Extinguisher with a tubeless tyre valve fitted in it, it will blow right up to ep00 the only problem is you can get blow back if the filler hole is a bit small

I have two fire extinguishers for this job.

You only need 30psi to propell ep90 into next doors garden. Just makesure the pressure is totally dumped before opening, i thort a little 'gurgle' meant it was, the 30ft trail of atf accross the workshop, bench, forklift and door not to mention numerous tools begged to differ :blush:

Will.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two fire extinguishers for this job.

You only need 30psi to propell ep90 into next doors garden. Just makesure the pressure is totally dumped before opening, i thort a little 'gurgle' meant it was, the 30ft trail of atf accross the workshop, bench, forklift and door not to mention numerous tools begged to differ :blush:

Will.

Sorry to resurrect this but I'm intrigued on how you are using a fire extinguisher Will?!

Have you drilled and tapped the body to accept an air line fitting?

Mick.

The extinguishers i have have a shrader valve where the trigger screws on, once the oils in and the top screwed on put your tyre bloweruppererrerr on and put 30-40psi in and bobs your mothers uncle etc.....

I recently converted an old under-sink reverse osmosis reservoir. It had a tyre valve already fitted to it so that was one problem less. I drilled a hole at the bottom, welded a 1/2" BSP socket to act as a filler hole, split the whole reservoir down the middle to remove the rubber bladder inside and re-welded it shut (pain in the butt to do). To use, stand on its end, fill with required lubricant, close filler plug, attach to compressor, pressurize to about 30 psi, attach hose to little valve on the end, open valve and wait. Easy peasy. It was a revelation after 15 years of cursing every time i had to use the manual oil pumps.

The extinguishers i have have a shrader valve where the trigger screws on, once the oils in and the top screwed on put your tyre bloweruppererrerr on and put 30-40psi in and bobs your mothers uncle etc.....

Cheers Muddy.

I've just drilled & tapped an old extinguisher, works a treat :i-m_so_happy: