To silence, or not to silence

Apologies for posting this in international, but as it pertains to all flavours of 300TDi I didn't want to post in multiple forums (fora?)

Current situation: 300TDi transplant into an 88". It's a tight squeeze, but I've managed to make the standard Defender downpipe fit without too much drama.

I'm now experimenting with various ideas for the middle section. It looks like the standard Defender middle/exit will fit with a bit of jiggling - but it's £75 for the middle section with a silencer - I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that much!

So, the question is: How noisy is a 300TDi without a silencer? Noisy enough to justify £75?

I ran without any silencers for a while which was ok, but I did find it got a tad irritating on long motorway journeys. I just have the rear small tailpipe silencer now which just takes the edge off but still souinds good and is free breathing - if your just tooling about it it though it's absolutely fine with none.

Ditto the above - make sure the end of the exhaust is outside of the bodywork or it roars like crazy.

When you say without the middle silencer, do you mean that the rear silencer will still be there?

If its going to be straight through all the way then I would definately say its too loud, but with just the rear silencer on then fine.

A mate of mine has a 300tdi straight through and I cant stick that amount of noise from a Defender, however with my 200tdi I experimented with a straight through and it was fine. Strange though when you consider the 300 is supposed to be more refined than the 200?

Some people like the tractor noise...

They are usually identifiable by the nice jackets that fasten at the back :moglite:

I've been given a number of them over the years. :P

Thanks for the opinions chaps. It's never going to be more noisy than the V8 was - particularly with the horribly whiny series gearbox, so I think I'll just get some pipe and route it out the back somewhere. Or even the side.

I've got a side exit on my 300 90 with no silencers. It exits between the passenger door and rear wheel and is very noisey. My mate has a 200 with no silencers and his exhaust goes to the back of the vehicle and faces straight back, this is just as noisey from outside but nowhere near as noisey from the front seat.

I quite like the sound of mine and i didnt want to spend the money on a silencer when i built the exhaust. Also because of my engine conversion, it would have been difficult to fit one in but if I was using it everyday i would put a silencer in somewhere.

Harry

n.b I have been stopped by the plod because of the noise the 90 makes, something you may wish to bear in mind.

Mine has the full complement of silencers, see no reason to remove them as I like to hear the radio or my passenger, and not the exhaust.

I do plan to change the rear section for the late-300Tdi setup though in order to fit a rear fuel tank. This will also get rid of the restrictive 200Tdi (180-degree in/out) rear box and replace it with the smaller in-line rear box which goes in the wheel arch. Apparently this makes a good difference to exhaust 'booming' inside the cab, as well as removing said restriction...which can only be a good thing.