Diesel - Just Say No

stuck

& the carbon monoxide from petrol engines will kill you too, but much quicker in a confined space with no ventilation.

don't say anything about that do they.

wonder if diesel fuel price & diesel engined vehicle road tax will go up because of this in a poor attempt to force people into petrol vehicles -- any bets ???

Lets face it breathing most fumes from burning things will kill you one way or the other .... from petrol to tobacco .... wood to diesel ..... I guess that's why they stick exhausts at the back of the car and chimneys on roofs ......

The only way to avoid it would be alternative fuels .... then we could dump loads of heavy metal in the soil when the storage batteries are knackered :)

Lets face it breathing most fumes from burning things will kill you one way or the other .... from petrol to tobacco .... wood to diesel ..... I guess that's why they stick exhausts at the back of the car and chimneys on roofs ......

The only way to avoid it would be alternative fuels .... then we could dump loads of heavy metal in the soil when the storage batteries are knackered :)

Prius (etc) drivers make me "laugh".

Environmentaly concious apart from the Cadmium mining, recycling etc.

At least most series / Defenders will still be on the road in 20 / 30 years (unless they tax them off it).

Mr Wabbit, don't you know that new research has shown that tobacco smoke & petrol fumes are actualy good for you?

It must be so, a bloke in the pub told me.

At 0.5% Carbon Monoxide, which is the idle MOT standard, it'll take a good few minutes breathing just the exhaust gas to kill you, probably become symptomatic within 10 mins, then dead within 20-30 at a estimate. Far more efficient that using diesel to kill you slowly with cancer....

wonder if diesel fuel price & diesel engined vehicle road tax will go up because of this in a poor attempt to force people into petrol vehicles -- any bets ???

That was my first thought when I read the article this morning.

That'll be an excuse to slap another tax on it...that's why they are brining out old information again.

As said above, I was told about that 15 years ago when working on diesel fork trucks in enclosed spaces.

Prius (etc) drivers make me "laugh".

Environmentaly concious apart from the Cadmium mining, recycling etc.

You know the Prius actually uses NiMH batteries - not NiCd, so no Cadmium?

The Prius is a pretty poor example of an electric / hybrid. It produces 92g CO2 / km - though I don't know what mixture of distance on electric versus fuel that's calculated on.

Even my Electric Freelander, designed & built in my Garage only produces 89g at the power station taking into consideration transmission losses - so one would hope grown-up manufacturers with multi milion £ budgets could do a little better!

While Electric or Hybrid drives are not suitable for everybody - since building & driving mine, I'm totally sold on the idea! Although I only built it with the range I needed (24 miles) to reduce cost, it can reach 93mph, 0-60 in about 8 sec and delivers the cost equivalent of 240mpg.

I have a project in planning to build a Plug-In Hybrid Range Rover (either a 2 Door Classic or a Sport as they are the only two I like!) using a small (probably Peugeot 1.9l) diesel engine in addition to LiPo batteries and a 100Hp Electric drive. Increasing the vehicle mass by 200kg should give me a range on electric only of about 45 miles.

If any of you come across a Sport minus engine & gearbox - give me a shout!

Si

As usual part read report and over reaction by media , this report came out in 2012 and is biased by 3rd world emission standards , or lack thereof ! Since low sulfur diesel, and other Euro and US standards applied a somewaht different verdict likely to be reached . Some modern diesel engines are actally putting out cleaner air than they are taking in !!