MTF 94

bushwhacker

R380's really like ird (freelander transfer box) oil, really helps gearchanges.

my old mans disco was bought at 99k with a dead 2nd gear syncro, it baulked every time first to second. flushed the gearbox with red diesel, refilled with ird and it very very rarely baulked. gearbox lasted until 201k when he sold the disco.

Early R380s had ATF in them, LR changed to MTF94 in maybe 1996/97 or thereabouts? So either will do, but they recommend MTF (which they would, 'cos they sell it).

I have tried MTF in LT77s before and I thought it made the gearchange worse but that's just me.

I knew I would get differing views on this after hunting down MTF 94. Yes a shade under 3ltrs in each and 1ltr for top ups.

I had read MTF 94 could now be used in LT77 and R380. If anyone knows better I am willing to listen.

The stuff I located is it ok to use and at a fair price?

R380's really like ird (freelander transfer box) oil, really helps gearchanges.

my old mans disco was bought at 99k with a dead 2nd gear syncro, it baulked every time first to second. flushed the gearbox with red diesel, refilled with ird and it very very rarely baulked. gearbox lasted until 201k when he sold the disco.

May I suggest that it could have done that if you had also put in MTF94? Maybe it just needed an oil change?

I knew I would get differing views on this after hunting down MTF 94. Yes a shade under 3ltrs in each and 1ltr for top ups.

I had read MTF 94 could now be used in LT77 and R380. If anyone knows better I am willing to listen.

The stuff I located is it ok to use and at a fair price?

BLRC in Saintfield had it in 5ltrs for a raesonable price last time I was down - but that was 6mths ago, it does come in under different names, do a google and see what uo can get - I think it may have been texaco or redline or something? I never had any success finding it locally and the postage didn't make it worth whilst.

Steve

Stevie D thanks I will give them a call, been there too many times. :D

The ebay vendor I think has no charge to NI ? I will check it out further.

It was a google search that lead me to MTF 94 but with no definitive answer, (maybe there is none).

I just thought it was a more up to date oil so why not try it.

I buy Texaco MTF94 here in Norway. Good (for me) to see that some of the prices in Norway is lower than in UK. Although when I bought MTF at a LR dealer, i paid ~20£ a litre, I now pay a lot less for the equivalent Texaco MTF94.

MTF94 is made by Texaco. They sell it to LR.