shock absorbers or dampers

Have old man emu stuff fallen out of fashion

A few years ago that is what people used to say were good

Now OME stuff is hardly mentioned

I think they fell out of fashion the moment I bought them :(

OME springs & dampers on my 110 for the last 16 years, not had any problems with them.

I was thinking of purchasing the Terrafirma medium rated.suspension kit, what do you think? also there seems to be many adverised.with 2 inch lift can these be fitted without altering anything else? i would rather keep it at the standard height do not think i can afford koni ta

Having been in the same situation a year or so back, I bit the bullet and bought a set of gas-filled Bilsteins. IMHO they were a spectacularly worth-it investment in that they totally cured the self-changing-lanes effect previously experienced when passing buses/articulated-trucks at 80MPH, and made fast-towing the big flatbed trailer a lot more acceptable too.

One hint: when refitting dampers, there's a tendency for the body of the thing to rotate when you're tightening the nuts. My quick solution: put on a new rubber-glove: it will give you a much better grip on the damper-body!

--Tanuki

OME went out of fashion because they used to fail at about 3 months old. Quality control problems I think. For the rest, their springs are too hard and their bushes will break your chassis. I am not anti-Australian as the bushes in my LR are from there, but not OME. If you want really good Australian dampers, Try Ironman as they last for ever.

OME went out of fashion because they used to fail at about 3 months old. Quality control problems I think. For the rest, their springs are too hard and their bushes will break your chassis. I am not anti-Australian as the bushes in my LR are from there, but not OME. If you want really good Australian dampers, Try Ironman as they last for ever.

mine haven't failed or cracked my chassis, ride is supreb, but results might be different in Australia.

mine haven't failed or cracked my chassis, ride is supreb, but results might be different in Australia.

I have seen a Disco I with both problems. Welded chassis, replaced bushes with SuperPro and shocks with something else. Britpart standard springs are ok. OME will take all your fillings out.

It's not fair to say that OME springs are 'too hard'. Their springs are listed by the rate (hardness) and length - so you can specify whatever hardness you like! The problem is how people sell them and the advice they give on poundage or what springs are appropriate for your vehicle.

The problem is, a spring that is hard on a light vehicle, will be soft on a heavy one. You cannot really specify a spring without knowing the unsprung axle weights of the vehicle. Springs for Land Rovers tend to be sold in terms of + so many inches. A correctly rated spring will give that height on one vehicle, but not on another. In order that resellers can sell you a +2" spring and it will give you a 2" lift, they tend to make them hard enough that even on a heavy vehicle they will still deliver a +2" lift. Unfortunately, on a light vehicle, they will shake your teeth out!

I have moved from buying off the shelf springs to having them custom wound (which, surprisingly is about the same cost as buying OE or OME springs). I posted an example here to calculate the rate & free length of the spring for your vehicle: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31726entry310073 which has worked well for me! It also gives a guide to what off-the-shelf springs to buy by specifying the rate & free length.

Si

What also works it to paint your springs and shocks yellow :moglite: This will impress most people.

I agree with what you say Simon - the problem is that the vehicles are mostly driven with no load so hard springs are not fun.

But in this country, with the roads we have, even the so-called 'tar roads', the potholes will break your chassis if you have OME bushes.

I have seen a Disco I with both problems. Welded chassis, replaced bushes with SuperPro and shocks with something else. Britpart standard springs are ok. OME will take all your fillings out.

they might in your part of the world, mine are fine here in UK.