ibex 300 build

20 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

TD5 conversions are now so easy all the scrotes & undesriables are doing them

Oy just did mine! -does that put me in this bucket? 🤔🤣

Very doable only thing needed to make it work outside the doner was power to the loom and a bod of soldering as we moved the 10as to sit beside the ecu. after all, a td5 defender isn't really that highlevel computerwise 🙂

Although reusing as much as possible from the donor (90->110) all the small parts quick count up the pennies. I am still "stuck" with an elderly engine and I found myself in the workshop just yesterday mending the fan pulley bearing... BUT it is a nice engine that transforms the car (was a 2,5td and 300tdi for many moons) and I regrett not doing it sooner (another td5 engine have been living in the workshop for 7 years but this one turned up on just the right point, or my mate put the donor car in a tree on just the right point in time 🙄

But it took some time getting it fitted and timewise a Renovation of the/a 200tdi will be far faster. 

/mads

• Haha 1

Hmmm maybe you could persuade me to take the disco 200tdi out of my 90 and I will put an M57 in 🤔

Range rover classic 200tdi engine near here with 172k on the clock £650 on facebook but a long way from you

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

All I can think about an engine swap is that a couple of years down the line there's going to be a pile of shagged TD5 parts next to the pile of shagged 200TDi parts... :ph34r:

Next to a pile of shagged BMW parts...

29 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Did Ross @landroversforever sell the 200 out of his project? Or did that happen a long long time ago?

Yes I had that engine years ago and that one snapped a cam pulling of the drive in our 110. Sold it on as parts about 5 years ago.

Given current developments and a lack of disco 200's I am starting to lean towards buying a td5 disco to strip. But it's academic until I've finished the job that'll pay for some of it.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Yes I had that engine years ago and that one snapped a cam pulling of the drive in our 110. Sold it on as parts about 5 years ago.

Given current developments and a lack of disco 200's I am starting to lean towards buying a td5 disco to strip. But it's academic until I've finished the job that'll pay for some of it.

Mike

How is the clutch problem looking?

No idea didn't get it home till dark and by then it was raining. If the weather plays I'll try to pull the engine over the weekend then I can start making decisions.

I'll also try and get the swivels and cv's done as at least that will be one thing off the list.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

I'm starting to see why you want something other than a 200TDi :ph34r:

If a TD5 can be had for not much money and is easier to find spares for, then I'd say it's a no brainer. I agree with the others that you're buying a new unknown, but at least a new unknown that doesn't eat cams for breakfast :unsure:

Wish you were closer by, I'd happily lend a hand and a vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

If a TD5 can be had for not much money and is easier to find spares for, then I'd say it's a no brainer. I agree with the others that you're buying a new unknown, but at least a new unknown that doesn't eat cams for breakfast :unsure:

I've now had 12 200Tdi's since 1990/91. Only 1 has had cam creep. I've blown two head gaskets, almost needed one turbo and had some annoyance with a vacuum pump. Total mileage over 34 years is approx 700,000 miles, with some doing more, some doing less. I can happily say that the 200Tdi is the most reliable engine I've ever owned

Looking in all the usual places. there are so many TD5's for sale, for sub 400 quid, a fair few complete vehicles for the same. A few 300 Disco's, loads of M57's, PD130, Audi V6 and one OM606. Also about 5/6 200Tdi's between 450 and 1k

7 hours ago, Jon W said:

Hmmm maybe you could persuade me to take the disco 200tdi out of my 90 and I will put an M57 in 🤔

Range rover classic 200tdi engine near here with 172k on the clock £650 on facebook but a long way from you

Friend has just sold his 200tdi to a guy in Sweden who drove to Scotland to collect it for several thousand pounds,  paid a big chunk towards the bmw conversion 

7 hours ago, toenden said:

Oy just did mine! -does that put me in this bucket? 🤔🤣

Very doable only thing needed to make it work outside the doner was power to the loom and a bod of soldering as we moved the 10as to sit beside the ecu. after all, a td5 defender isn't really that highlevel computerwise 🙂

Although reusing as much as possible from the donor (90->110) all the small parts quick count up the pennies. I am still "stuck" with an elderly engine and I found myself in the workshop just yesterday mending the fan pulley bearing... BUT it is a nice engine that transforms the car (was a 2,5td and 300tdi for many moons) and I regrett not doing it sooner (another td5 engine have been living in the workshop for 7 years but this one turned up on just the right point, or my mate put the donor car in a tree on just the right point in time 🙄

But it took some time getting it fitted and timewise a Renovation of the/a 200tdi will be far faster. 

/mads

Wait till you take the tedious 5 out & fit something even more modern, absolute revelation 👀

Mike (Tomcat), James and I have recently been trying to fix a Fiesta 1.0ltr three cylinder lump. Non Turbo. I think it's an EcoBoost.  The original lump had put the number three rod through the block at 115k. It sounded bad before it happened.

Turns out the 120k service includes oil pump change and big end replacement. The perfect example of modern design for minimum life expectancy

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Yes, but a TD5 does eat heads for breakfast, and they are not cheap either. Ok, not a regular thing, but cracking around the injector is a well known problem and shows up with fuel in the oil and eventual death of your engine. A clutch problem, like you have now means a new dual mass flywheel, which is probably double the price to replace. Rebuild it, and it is 5 pistons instead of 4. So know what you wish for.

i personally choose a TDI over a TD5 any day, but it depends on your uses. If you do many road miles, maybe a TD5 is better suited, but for off roading, the low down grunt of a TDI is hard to beat IMO. The 2.8 TGV version would be my ideal engine, combining the low down grunt and simplicity of the TDI with the power of a TD5.

• Like 2