Mercedes om606 engine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well its not in a LR, but its a OM606.962 going into my Volvo C303

IMG_0175Medium_zps505563b7.jpg

wow i have portals going on my disco from a 303 and what are you doing was in my vapour built for an overlander do you have more pictures:)))

Are you using the same MB transmission 722.6 if i am not mistaken with the number

I cross the border to go visiting a friend every now and then, Geneva is not exactly behind the corner but who knows, I'll let you know :-)
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering. If I mate a standard om606 to a late ('94) rrc auto box, what speeds might one expect to see without revving the nuts off the engine. Its just a friend has an early gwagon and trying to change the engine and gearbox because its deafening over 55mph and 60+ is just not recommended.

I know I am not comparing like with like but I want my rrc to have the v8 performance but with diesel economy and torque.

Are motorway speeds realistic with the 606/rrc auto combination.

Thanks in advance.

Just wondering. If I mate a standard om606 to a late ('94) rrc auto box, what speeds might one expect to see without revving the nuts off the engine. Its just a friend has an early gwagon and trying to change the engine and gearbox because its deafening over 55mph and 60+ is just not recommended.

I know I am not comparing like with like but I want my rrc to have the v8 performance but with diesel economy and torque.

Are motorway speeds realistic with the 606/rrc auto combination.

Thanks in advance.

606 will out rev the v8 easily

If the only thing that has changed in the drivetrain is the engine, then the 606 should drive with no problems at 70. If your v8 was at 2200rpm at 70mph then the 696 will be at 2200rpm. The old Gwagens were very high geared(or low I always mix that up) so 55mph really was the limit, even in the petrols it sounded quiet high pitched.

Thanks for the replies guys. Have a donor car/engine lined up and just wanted to be sure that the swap would really benefit me the way I had hoped. My better half will have use of this aswell and if was slower, a permanent ear ache would have been inevitable.

Thanks again

I wonder how long the autobox will live with the torque of the 606

About 2-3 seconds I reckon.

Dan, the OM606 will rev over 5500? I suppose this is a bit immaterial, as you would want to have the cruising speed RPM nicely in the torque band, and not screaming it's head off, but interested anyways :)

About 2-3 seconds I reckon.

Dan, the OM606 will rev over 5500? I suppose this is a bit immaterial, as you would want to have the cruising speed RPM nicely in the torque band, and not screaming it's head off, but interested anyways :)

They pick up revs like a petrol Bowie, I think mine had the governor set at 5750rpm.

Look at the rev counter in this clip,