Boots for ball joints ..?

Anderzander

Can you get new boots for ball joints ?

One of my drag link ball joint boots has split, (though the joint is fine), and I know that's an MOT failure now.

Had a look on eBay and Brit-Car but couldn't find anything.

I notice you are in Lancs, you can get them off the shelf at http://www.lrparts.net/ up in Speke, they had about 3 there last week since I am in country and popped in to get some bits :)

These seems to happen regularly so I got 35mm by 3mm strip about 100m long, drilled a hole in one end, bent it L shaped and used the ball joint nut to hold it in place for a boot gaurd. It is offroad only though, but as far as I could see it's only adding a flat washer?

Thanks everyone !

I had an order ready with Brit-Car so put some onto that. Though afterwards I wondered if they come with the retainers ?

Do they all come with them or is it possible to re-use the old ones ?

Also thanks for the heads up on LRParts. I'm up in North Lancs, so quite close to LRDirect, though I seldom make the journey as mail order is so convenient.

• 7 years later...

It is acceptable to use cable ties to retain TRE boots, if you buy a CV boot kit for a modern car the chances are that it will come with cable ties instead of metal clips.

People like Blanchards may have better quality NOS boots.

I keep a stock of boots in as they split on a regiular basis, whatever they are made of they are not the same quality as originals.

Peter

Edited by Romahomepete

• 1 year later...