E U and Caravans

mmgemini

A lot of fuss over nothing. Caravans can be pretty dangerous things so who wouldnt want a test that ensures it's roadworthy? It'd only cost "hundreds of pounds" if there was something actually wrong with it. If it then becomes too expensive, just buy a trailer tent and go camping

Totally agree with it tbh, if you're towing a trailer then chances are it's used regularly, like a builders trailer etc.
Most Caravans are parked up for 10-11 months a year, in storage, then washed and packed to the rafters then driven in an totally inadequate car, and then driven by a driver who is incompetent, and then carnage begins!!

This isn't all caravanners but is the vast majority. I drive Artics and the amount of badly towed caravans I see is staggering, wheels coming off, snaking and jack knifed, and they take their family in there!!

The trailers I tow all have MOT tests, and have regular servicing, yeah they are big and carry a LOT of weight, but same should apply to Caravans.

Totally agree with Scooby Jim. Having seen the aftermath of a caravan wheel coming off and hitting the windscreen of the car behind a few weeks ago I'd say they should have some sort of roadworthy test. Luckily no one was badly hurt but it could have been nasty.

Nothing new for me: in Spain anything towable above 750Kg must be MoT tested. I have a caravan, but since it is below 750kg, it doesn´t need any MoT. Oh, and my parents lost a wheel of their tráiler this monday :wacko: . Bro had been "servicing" it at weekend :rofl:

First thing... Daily Mail = Load of rubbish most of the time.

Secondly, yes its a good idea as a good proportion of them are parked up most of the year and may not be in tip-top condition. However, what a test for the vehicle wouldn't take into account would be poor packing, and poor driving. Both of which can make them dangerous.

So the caravan passes its test and then is laid up for the next 11.5 months in the chicken barn. How is that any different to what we have at the moment. The tyres will still perish and go misshapen on the bottom. The mice will still nest and chew the electrics and it will still be towed at 80mph, overloaded and with a cardboard number plate in the back window.

Random roadside testing is the only way safety will be improved.

So the caravan passes its test and then is laid up for the next 11.5 months in the chicken barn. How is that any different to what we have at the moment. The tyres will still perish and go misshapen on the bottom. The mice will still nest and chew the electrics and it will still be towed at 80mph, overloaded and with a cardboard number plate in the back window.

Random roadside testing is the only way safety will be improved.

Because of the way people work, they will MOT it before they take it out, then lay it up and then come holiday season its "Oh damn need an MOT for the caravan!!"

And because there is need, people will get it sorted, and with all the small companies will offer pre MOT's with servicing, unlike the normal clean and spruce and away.

Dont see the need , the majority of accidents involving a caravan are instability issues , seeing as the purpose of testing is a road safety initiative its not going to achieve much. How do you test the brakes anyway , 99%+ are overrun , so a rolling road wont do it , and neither will a tapley as that will be measuring the outfits overall retardation? The components will for the most part be unseen , as no dismantling allowed on test . The only thing that you can really assess is hitch sideplay , and see if all the lights work . so end result a lot of messing about + expense for not a lot of result .

Dont see the need , the majority of accidents involving a caravan are instability issues , seeing as the purpose of testing is a road safety initiative its not going to achieve much. How do you test the brakes anyway , 99%+ are overrun , so a rolling road wont do it , and neither will a tapley as that will be measuring the outfits overall retardation? The components will for the most part be unseen , as no dismantling allowed on test . The only thing that you can really assess is hitch sideplay , and see if all the lights work . so end result a lot of messing about + expense for not a lot of result .

like this:

http://www.vltest.com/2106.html

Also, how many trailer don't have the lights working properly?

Daan

like this:

http://www.vltest.com/2106.html

Also, how many trailer don't have the lights working properly?

Daan

Thanks for enlightening me :)

a few , but then thats what police are meant to enforce !

once you have testing you need to ID the trailer , then once you have ID you can tax it as well , which is the ultimate objective of bureaucrats !!

Caravans and trailers travel on the public road. Why on earth should they be exempt basic mechanical checks? Considering the utter carp trailers I used to see at comps and off road sites its long overdue. Shame a few more aren't weighed too.

This is a re-surfacing of the roadworthiness directive which caused a lot of angst on this forum 12 months or so ago. I find it slightly ironic that a measure which caused so much antipathy 12 months ago when it appeared that it might affect modified 4x4 vehicles now seems thoroughly acceptable since the media are focussing on the effect on caravans.

We need to remain vigilant that this will not creep back to become a set of proposals which could affect modified vehicles. I do not have time to investigate this further today, but if anyone else comes across any indications that the proposals will affect modified or historic vehicles, please can they post here so that we can keep an eye on them.

Nick.

Caravans and trailers travel on the public road. Why on earth should they be exempt basic mechanical checks? Considering the utter carp trailers I used to see at comps and off road sites its long overdue. Shame a few more aren't weighed too.

They are not exempt , VOSA and Police can quite easily stop them , and carryout roadworthiness check , and in view of the number of accidents down to failure , being very small , compared with operator error , as i said before a lot of expense for not a lot of result , and its also starts the slippery slope JMHO

Some interesting comments. Not sure how this would be policed. At the present time the cops are using extensively the number plate recognition system to trace offenders. This is a very good system even from someone who had is car seized. (Incorrectly)

Caravans would therefore need separate registrations and that would add to costs and therefore road tax would follow to pay for it.

It ain't broke don't fix it.

Some interesting comments. Not sure how this would be policed. At the present time the cops are using extensively the number plate recognition system to trace offenders. This is a very good system even from someone who had is car seized. (Incorrectly)

Caravans would therefore need separate registrations and that would add to costs and therefore road tax would follow to pay for it.

It ain't broke don't fix it.

In Holland, I believe the MOT for trailers has been around some time. more recently, the trailers also do have their own registration and tax liability. But I don't think the UK is going to this extent, unless the EU requires it. You see, there is more sense in the uk government than there is in Holland. Before you all start shouting at me, Holland takes it to the level of legalizing drugs so you can tax it, and it just wont happen here.

Tell us more about your car being seized :SVA go away:

Daan

I am surprised that our government are against this EU proposal. I would have thought that they would have already calculated the revenue that could be raised by registering and taxing caravans and trailers.

Why is there no proposal to test and tax bikes? I would vote for that one.

If it moves tax it. If people enjoy it, tax it. I am amazed there is no utility to charge us for the air we breathe.

In Holland, I believe the MOT for trailers has been around some time. more recently, the trailers also do have their own registration and tax liability. But I don't think the UK is going to this extent, unless the EU requires it. You see, there is more sense in the uk government than there is in Holland. Before you all start shouting at me, Holland takes it to the level of legalizing drugs so you can tax it, and it just wont happen here.

Tell us more about your car being seized :SVA go away:

Daan

Was pulled over because the police camera pinged me on the patrol car. No insurance which turned out to be a paperwork error on the part of the insurance company. Got pinged the next day by the same patrol car but different officer this time allowed to keep the car.