Puma poor build quality

I think it is likely down to quality of steel used in all honesty, look at the RRCs, up until about 1988 they survived very well, then change in steel, but nothing else and anything 1989-1994 just flakes before your eyes, well the bodywork anyways.

Now thats interesting....................I had 18 Land Rovers over the years to 1998 when I got fed up with it all and got rid of everything. Just got another one and back into it a bit, however, thats another story..................

What I DO remember though from back in that time, was that one day in the early nineties I had blagged a factory visit, and during the conversation on the tour, was told that they started to import steel from somewhere..................I cannot remember where though.

That would tie in .....................

Now thats interesting....................I had 18 Land Rovers over the years to 1998 when I got fed up with it all and got rid of everything. Just got another one and back into it a bit, however, thats another story..................

What I DO remember though from back in that time, was that one day in the early nineties I had blagged a factory visit, and during the conversation on the tour, was told that they started to import steel from somewhere..................I cannot remember where though.

That would tie in .....................

I read back then that they imported cheap Belgium steel that rusted very badly

Just to add weight to what the others have said - we were put off of a new Puma because of the dealer attitude too. We were looking to replace the awful freelander we had at the time. Once they found out we weren't there for the Evoque, we got put in the seats in the corner and left to wait while they found a junior member of staff to deal with us (the important staff were dealing with the Evoque/RR customers).

They got less interested in us when we said we didn't need finance and offered a poor trade in on the freelander (fair i suppose given it was a really bad car, but they made it in the first place!)

In the end, I couldn't really see any real performance differences between the new Puma 90 and my 25 year old tweaked 110...it was a bit shinier I suppose, not a lot quieter though.

I was drafting a proper letter up too !

What did you say ?

Well done - the more the merrier!

I just pointed at this thread and said that people are unhappy with the decline in build quality of Defenders, dealers are not interested in selling them. It looks increasingly unlikely that they will be replaced with anything at all. If they do, it will essentially be a poverty spec Disco variant.

I said I would have the same pride driving a JCB as a Defender and that there is a need for a light utility vehicle, not fulfilled by any of the other manufacturers, at least not that are available in the UK. Build something decent - and leave Land Rover to pander to the Victoria Beckams of this world!

Si

I agree that there is a need for a decent hardworking utility 4wd,but trouble is the way people look at vehicles now.At about 4.30 this afternoon I had a call from a retired farmer whose 08 Freelander 2 had conked out on the side of the road. I recovered them home and got the FL going again.I thought he would be concerned at what the issue was - not a bit of it,he was just going to use it as another bit of ammo to trade it in for a new/newer one.Whilst LR have a good flow of peeps willing to keep going like this the Defender is going nowhere,with poor build interest/quality and carp components.Dont even get me started on the Indian and ROC millionares who are taking all the new RR models...

Maybe a new thread should be started for the jcb 4x4.

One or 2 letters won't make mr Bamford sit up and take notice. We need an online petition I tells ya !

I read ages ago that Mr Bamford is a very proud Brit who bemoans the death (suicide) of the British motor industry and manufacturing in general. The proposal to build a better alternative to the LandRover Pretender should be structured to appeal to his pride and sense of Britishness.

Oh. and I need a job, so could be persuaded to move back to the Old Dart for a year or so, and employed as resident troublemaker to harass the team responsible for design and testing of the prototype.

Yeah I know, you have plenty of troublemakers of your own. Lol.

I need a job too, so maybe we could show up at JCB door together.

I could sketch up something nice ^_^

I'm glad I managed to find my 109" 2 years ago.
I plan to make it the "definitive" Land Rover for me.

If only I could legally fit a proper engine...!

:ph34r:

I need a job too, so maybe we could show up at JCB door together.

:ph34r:

Well Michele, it looks as though we'll both remain unemployed. It has been around 100 hours since Simon sent off his letter to Mr Bamford, and still no reply !!

Maybe MR Foers Ibex or Mr Drew Bowler would be interested in stepping up to the plate ? Trouble is, that both those gentleman have had too much association with LandRover mechanical assemblies, so their engineering minds have been corrupted. We want a high durability, high capability,low maintenance, long life, practical, working 4wd, not the same old garbage that Landrover have been jerry building for the past 65 years !

Well Michele, it looks as though we'll both remain unemployed. It has been around 100 hours since Simon sent off his letter to Mr Bamford, and still no reply !!

Maybe MR Foers Ibex or Mr Drew Bowler would be interested in stepping up to the plate ? Trouble is, that both those gentleman have had too much association with LandRover mechanical assemblies, so their engineering minds have been corrupted. We want a high durability, high capability,low maintenance, long life, practical, working 4wd, not the same old garbage that Landrover have been jerry building for the past 65 years !

You have obviously had a very different experience with the landrover brand than I have , hard luck :)

I am with tacr2man. I have always found them to be VERY reliable, although I would NEVER have one with an electronically controlled diesel.................not on a vehicle that can be dunked in water.

In my experience, its normally down to years of neglect, being fiddled with by people who have no idea what they are doing, and are fitting the cheapest components they can buy.

None of this excuses the factory for the lack of rustproofing though. And the fitting of a van engine.

I am with tacr2man. I have always found them to be VERY reliable, although I would NEVER have one with an electronically controlled diesel.................not on a vehicle that can be dunked in water.

In my experience, its normally down to years of neglect, being fiddled with by people who have no idea what they are doing, and are fitting the cheapest components they can buy.

None of this excuses the factory for the lack of rustproofing though. And the fitting of a van engine.

Me too. I've had many Land Rovers over decades and they've all been simple, robust and dependable. The exception was the early fuel-infected Range Rover. While it was reliable overall, it had one electical gremlin (failing sender in the distributor) which baffled a few experts, hurt my wallet while I fixed the wrong things and took months to diagnose. Other than that, lots of maintenance, of course, and an understanding that early half-shafts had to be treated nicely but no serious reliability or rust issues.

However, would I buy a new one? As they say in New Zealand: "yeah, nah". Waaaaaayyyy too complicated!

Just read this on Wikipedia:

Anthony Bamford, chairman of British excavators manufacturer JCB, had expressed interest in purchasing Jaguar Cars in August, the year previously;[16] only to back out when told the sale would also involve Land Rover, which he did not wish to buy.