Security Post Design

Cynic-al

I'm planning on making a hitch type security post to secure a caravan and one for a chain too. Does anyone have any experience of how deep to go? I don't want to go any deeper than I have to as the garden level was raised quite a bit with whatever rubble, boulders and junk the builders were trying to get rid of with a skin of topsoil, but I don't want it to pull out either if someone were to start yanking on it with a transit.

Cheers :)

4 feet? Ouch! I was thinking 2! Think i'll be down to the water table there! lol

I have some 100mm dia x 10mm thick tube (or might be 100mm bore, can't remember now), I was thinking of putting some rebar down the centre welded to the top where the towball is then filling with concrete to make it more difficult to cut. I was also going to enclose the tow ball too.

I made one by welding together an H shape out of RSJ and burying it about a foot deep. I couldn't go deeper for the same reason as the garden has hardcore under the surface.

The end result was solid as hell. You don't need to go deep - particularly if the thing you are protecting is sitting on top of the frame!

I concreted over that area a few years later and tried winching it out the ground - but even double line it would not budge. Ended up digging it out with a mini-digger.

Si

If you can't go down, go out - whack rebar into the ground at 45 degree angles, spayed out around, and then weld some on the post, when you cement the lot together it becomes one structure.

totally agree on the go out part, makes a huge difference. i put in 2 steel posts initially to hold a chain over an entrance as a visual deterent and stop parking and somebody hit one with a vehichle, bent the inch square post and moved it in concrete way too easily. New version is in 3 feet of concrete deep and has box section welded to bottom as a foot criss crossing 2 foot each way so takes a huge hold. Might have gone shallower but had jcb dig hole so went for it!

the width does the job

I've got lengths of railway line into the ground about 3 ft. Then got multiple 6 ft scaffold bars hammered in at various angles, but touching the railway. Weld all together and then add concrete.

G

Jeez, I want to secure a caravan not moor the Titanic! :rofl:

I did think about hiring a mini digger with an auger, then i wouldn't have to level the ground by hand either... plus I'd get to play digger :i-m_so_happy:

Only last time I 'helped' someone with one of those there was a flash in the ground and the local pub couldn't serve any Sunday roast :blush:

my best advice would be go as deep/wide as you can, use really good thickwalled steel and chains/locks you can. if concreting in use a real good strong mix in hole, make it wet so you can pound in lots and lots of rocks that can be scrounged from local farmer as land gatherings so usually free, the blunt end of a fence post works well for this and its amazing how much you can pack in there.

• 2 months later...

Well finally got around to doing something. Picked up a trailer load of slabs so just got to lay the slabs and concrete them in.

Something just to hook a chain around.

IMG_2147_zps507b33c4.jpg

The business end test fit

IMG_2168_zps13faf28e.jpg

I stuck a lump of wire up the middle just incase someone tries to cut it with a small saw etc, should be hard for them to reach the middle. I might fill it with an aggregate rich concrete mix too.

IMG_2177_zpsbeb76804.jpg

Galvanised (Ignore the other bits they're to move the spare wheel on the van)

IMG_2222_zpsa6ab9ef5.jpg

Then a drop of powder coat just to make it look tidyish

photo6_zpsf5e5a2fb.jpg

Hopefully with all the other security bits I have it will be enough to put anyone off bothering taking it. Cheers all.

You know me! Lazy to the end ;) if you turn the power up high enough the surface is irrelevant!

It was all cleaned with an abrasive pad in the grinder and wire brush where I couldn't reach before it went away but it would've been a whole lot easier and more effective if I'd done it when it was still flat before assembly. :S

A twist of fate also meant I didn't have the powder coat put on until a week after the galv :/

• 1 month later...

Been away in the caravan for a few days so parked it on its new pad when I got back so photos to finish the job off.

It was a bit tight getting it to hitch so at some point I might have to clean the ball a bit.

A90B4C2B-9EA1-450F-85AD-4DDB2D62F1BB_zps

Now I've measured the length I will get a better chain but you get the idea.

9146E817-0697-4BA6-8058-CC6F925B8906_zps

One job finally scratched off the list :D