How anal are you?

Tetsu0san

All joking aside, and things may be different in the UK, but most longtime LandRover enthusiasts I have known over the decades here readily admit that LandRover ownership doesn't make much sense from a cost benefit viewpoint. They are regarded as a sometimes enjoyable but always expensive indulgence, a hobby that really aren't expected to give a return on the investment in purely monetary terms.

Those who are concerned about such things eventually give up on the green oval and end up buying Japanese.

Those who are concerned about such things eventually give up on the green oval and end up buying Japanese.

That is true enough, I know a guy locally who just got rid of his TD5 90 after it being parked up in the corner of the yard for a year and having been replaced by an older Pajero, the logging transporter says it was nothing more than a money pit, cost him €15,000 to buy and it spent most of the time broke down, only had 80,000 Kms on the clock too, head, manifolds, turbo, fuel pressure regulator, ECU expired, fuel pump, diff in the back axle, and the final straw was the dreaded back fire, he recons it cost him more than €6000 to keep it on the road during the 3yrs of ownership until he saw sense, year on, Pajero needs only a service every 6000 kms(about every month to 6 weeks the way they use it) and just keeps ticking along.

I have a small notebook for my 90, and I record all major servicing I do in there along with the date and mileage.

My current daily driver is a Rover 3500S and after bringing it back to life after it had been left sitting in a garage for ten years I too have been bitten by the spreadsheet bug. I have a file that records all parts and part number cross references I have come across, all servicing and mileage.

I record my fuel consumption using the fuelly app from fuelly.com. It has dropped off a bit recently to 23.5mpg. Not bad for a 3.5 on carbs though :D

i have kept every reciept and invoice so far for my truck in a folder, and all my paperwork too. i have a spreadsheet containing all the non standard parts and detailing where those parts origionate from and what part number they are.

its not up to date at the moment but its not too far out.

as for fuel reciepts, i just shut my eyes and fill the tank. i dont like to look at the cost!!

I thought I'd replied to this thread... obviously not!

I have a spreadsheet of total cost, ignoring fuel/insurance/tax. Its amazing how it adds up.

The spreadsheet details everything that I have bought (and sold) for the 90. As far as part numbers/price/who from/when etc. Total is rather frightening!

the spreadsheet is done in date order, and that then matches up with all the invoices in a folder. I keep receipts/invoices for everything on the truck.

I have a separate folder for MOT sheets, old tax disks, tax info, insurance documents etc.

I had a similar spreadsheet on the go, but since I decided to join the 21st century and get one of these flashy smart phones I've been tracking stuff using an app called Roadtrip.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very cool, and because I can just put the info in on the station forecourt I never forget to put in mileage and fuel data - which was the main flaw with my previous system!

Well that's no good, it's only written for iPhone.

Looks like quite a well featured app though.

I think you are all absolutely mental............................

I had a four drawer filing cabinet FULL of reciepts and paperwork for all the cars I ever had plus the 18 Landrovers up to 1998.

Got rid of it all a couple of years ago when i thought I would never get another one, and I remember it being SO liberating.

Got number 19 earlier this year which has now gone, and on number 20 now. So I have started again.

Only keep notes though. Lists are good and give a good sense of achievement when I can cross stuff off. Would know how to do a spreadsheet anyway, but I think its a bit souless ? Impersonal ? Somehow.

But then I prefer real books to Kindle or the internet...............................

I don't go as far as to working out mpg or keeping fuel receipts as I know this would depress me too much, and in the overall scheme of things I don't think I will ever sell a vehicle and give the new owner all the fuel economy results. So at least I am not that bad!

But it doesn't seem that I am alone in being a little mental.

Or a related note, I collect old computers and games consoles, and I have made similar spreadsheets for this too. Each box or stuff is numbers and I have a corresponding spreadsheet for each box which lists its contents. And the details specify if the item has its original box, the publisher, the condition, if it has its inlays, if it has its instructions manual or manuals, additional items, release date, revision, serial number.....

But it doesn't seem that I am alone in being a little mental.

Or a related note, I collect old computers and games consoles, and I have made similar spreadsheets for this too. Each box or stuff is numbers and I have a corresponding spreadsheet for each box which lists its contents. And the details specify if the item has its original box, the publisher, the condition, if it has its inlays, if it has its instructions manual or manuals, additional items, release date, revision, serial number.....

Blimey, and I thought I need to get out more.... :hysterical: after all I seem to do Is work on my house/truck/projects etc. when I come home from being away for 2 months and then end up going back to work for a rest lol

John

I got into the habit of keeping records with my second car - a Morris Marina. A distress purchase in almost every sense of the word.

As with every Leyland at the time you needed engine number, chassis number, colour, day of week that it was built, name of foreman's wife etc before you could get the wrong part out of stores. Once I discovered the correct part number through a process of trial and error, I'd make a note and keep it in the car along with every other scrap of information that might help. Didn't often help, but it made me feel better.

I later expanded the note taking to include fuel etc. and enter the data onto a spreadsheet every couple of months or so. Was well worth it when it came to selling.

Have just bought a 110 with a pile of documentation and intend to put that onto spreadsheet - just so I understand what has been done.

I got into the habit of keeping records with my second car - a Morris Marina. A distress purchase in almost every sense of the word.

As with every Leyland at the time you needed engine number, chassis number, colour, day of week that it was built, name of foreman's wife etc before you could get the wrong part out of stores. Once I discovered the correct part number through a process of trial and error, I'd make a note and keep it in the car along with every other scrap of information that might help. Didn't often help, but it made me feel better.

I later expanded the note taking to include fuel etc. and enter the data onto a spreadsheet every couple of months or so. Was well worth it when it came to selling.

Have just bought a 110 with a pile of documentation and intend to put that onto spreadsheet - just so I understand what has been done.

You owned a Marina ! ! ? Well your place up there in heaven is guaranteed ! You've suffered quite enough down here you poor soul!

Since I still haven't fixed my fuel guage I still run on my trip meter, refuel by 550km, and reset to zero each fill up. If I only partly fill up I don't zero until I do the next fill up. This allows me to always do a quick, if rough, check on consumption. It also allows me to calibrate the latest consumption against the recent driving experience, flat out, fully loaded, cruising, etc. I keep a book of major activity on my LR, like oil changes, adjustments, additions, like wheel bearing adjutments, brake adjustments, etc., and when next due.

I also keep a record of future spares required for scheduled maintenance, plus a few items for unscheduled breakdown. Being resident in Canada I regularly buy spares annualy when I am in UK, so I tend to accumulate spares, the stock level depending on break-downs/reliabiltty!!!

Wanderoing off thread, In north America, for example, the Defender was not imported, so going to any motor factor for spares for an LR yields only RR 3.5+ items. So, I need to cross reference LR spares item numbers against manufacturers' numbers, but considering the variability in both marques pedigrees, definite item numbers is much preferential to help in spares availabilty. I regularly ask members on this forum for the manufacturers' product numbers that correlate to LR part numbers. This can be an essential aid to those of us outside UK in identifying the relevant items.

Mike

You owned a Marina ! ! ? Well your place up there in heaven is guaranteed ! You've suffered quite enough down here you poor soul!

As I said - a distress purchase. Previous car died, new baby, no money and a neighbour who worked in insurance and knew of an HP reclaim going for virtually nothing. Thought that I knew a fair bit about cars before I bought it, but knew a lot more afterwards.

Must have been a friday car , I ran a fleet of marina, and later ital as taxis , when they were current production model , they were averaging 90, 000 miles a year , apart from servicing , and driver damage they were very reliable , did have a bit of a job keeping a rear diff in the Ital 2ltr auto estate, as it had a bit too much torque !!! Solved it by putting a female driver in it much to disappointment of the other drivers :ph34r: . Ive been pretty lucky with landrovers as well, only had real grief with a 3.9 Vogue in Australia , some of that was due to wrong oils in transfer box , and block cracks .

The aussie marina had the non too wonderful R series (maxi) engine , whereas everybody else had the B series (mgb) engine and the Ital had the later O series.

I minimise records after having to have so many when in business , the novelty wears off JMHO