Synthetic winch cable

simonr

Avoiding any steel v synthetic answers....

There are now quite a few different makes & types of cable on the market - and sadly, whoever one talks to says theirs is the best (unsurprisingly).

Since I'm now in the market for a new front & rear (longer rear at least ;) ) cable, I thought I'd see what you lot reckon is currently the best and why?

Some types seem to go a bit fluffy - which I'm sure reduces the number of fibres saving you from a painful death! Others seem more inclined to break being pulled round a tight radius and others still are too quickly abraded by the mud they generally trap (despite washing).

I know there are one or two rope vendors on here - so it may be hard to comment without putting their nose out of joint (or giving them a big head ;) ) .

What I'm after is peoples experience after a decent amount of use, not just that it's a nice colour!

Si

Si,

This probably is not helpful………….. :D

I have used Plasma12 for the last 3 years, but now will give 12mm Dyneema a try.

I have no complaints with Plasma12 other than its quite difficult to wash, but it has been consistently abused and has served me well, with the first breakage on Saturday. ……….

I suspect all the synthetics are similar in many ways.

Ian

I use Plasma 12 and its been good, goes fluffy but I think they all do

Dyneema was bought by a mate at about the same time, and he has not been impressed as it just "Broke", he has repalced with Plasma 12 and thinks it better, but who knows ?

P12 is more expensive than D riope. I think they are all made from the same stuff but the way its platted / made up to the finsihed rope is the differences ?

Prob not a lot of help ?

Nige :ph34r:

A handy thread, as I am also thinking of replacing the front line,,

very happy with what I have, but no idea what it is !! (Maybe SteveG knows) think it could also be Plasma 12 ? by the look of it, it has been spliced in the past, but has never given me problems,

Did buy some of the Dynemma bowrope from David Bowyer, for the old defender, but is not thick enough and only the same length that's already on the 8274, so been earmarked for the rear Huskey, when I get round to it !!

Sorry Si,, again,, probably not a lot of help

With out hi jacking Si thread, believe the best for the 8274 is 11mm x 125 ft ? am I correct,

could be a group buy !! :unsure:

I have some synthetic rope from RogueVogue on here (although I don't know what it is!) - it's grey and has gone quite fluffy with use. It also tends to go 'stiff' after a hard pull - I don't know if the others do this too. I've not broken it yet and would certainly buy more, although non-fluffiness would be nice.

i have 12mm 100ft dyneema on the front and 9mm ??ft dyneema on the rear.

rear has gone quite fluffy will need looking at pretty soon i expect, although i may just shorten it as it seems the very end gets the most abuse and ahs fluffed the worse!

i reckon they all go fluffy with time, expect Bishes which just doesn't like snatch blocks.

whats that really yellow stuff that d4x4 are selling now, Gav had some on the southdown truck at FSWC on sat (sheck photos)

Mine came from Disco Parts and I think it is Plasma 12. Has gone fluffy and has been fluffy for quite a while.

Never had a problem with it and as I am sure you will all be quick to point out, it has had a fair bit of use on my motor! :P

Don't know why it broke last weekend, it may have slipped intot the snatch block but I couldn't see it from where I was.Maybe it is just a bit tired.... it's only skinny stuff too but never broken it before.

it may have slipped intot the snatch block

I was thinking about this the other day as it was a snatch block that ate my winch web

How about making a pulley with a groove say 15mm wide and about 20mm deep, there's very little chance a rope would come out of it ?

Anyone see any problems with this idea before i start making it ?

Oh, and to keep on topic, i'm using Dyneema, it's not gone fluffy yet, but then again, it's not had much use :rolleyes:

Dyneema for me, no problems with snapping and I have had the BACK wheels of the 90 off the ground pulling down on the front with a single line pull... and bent the rear crossmember trying to winch something (brakes hard on) while chained to a 20ft ISO container.

I would probably buy it again rather than try any of the others as 100% pleased so far. Just a shame the only colour is Argie Blue....

used dyneema and amsteel, no real problems with either.

i have bought cheaper unbranded stuff before, it seems to bitty rather than just fluffy, i shall stick to known brands in future, but at 80 quid a rope i had to try it :D

Plasma12 for me! I've used 9.5mm which was fine until I had to pull bish and then it broke repeatedly :D I've used 11mm without problems. Both ropes went slightly fluffy but they all seem to. Bowrope seems much stiffer; not so nice to use. I will be staying with Plasma12 when I come to buy the new ropes.

JST, the yellow stuff D44 sell is Plasma12 IIRC. They also do a special orange colour designed for the G4 vehicles

Has anyone actually broken any type/make of Plasma through shear pullling power with no obstructions?

that is not plasma thats been spliced, has some broken strands, cutting/digging through earth/mud/trees/snatch blocks or broke whilst been cut through on the obstacle.

just wondering

Just wondering.

Has anyone actually broken any type/make of Plasma through shear pullling power with no obstructions?

that is not plasma thats been spliced, has some broken strands, cutting/digging through earth/mud/trees/snatch blocks or broke whilst been cut through on the obstacle.

just wondering

Just wondering.

I used to know of a double gearbox'ed 8274 that could break new 10mm plasma12 on straight line pull.

12mm used to break from time to time as well :(

14mm cured it though :)

Untill the gearsets and the casing grenaded themselves that many times it had to be binned :angry: