Replacement parts and continuing problems

Tetsu0san

They have a two year warranty on everything. They will replace or credit for another part. Getting any money for subsequent damage would be quite unlikely without investing a large amount of money. Whenever I've had a failure within the two years on a BP supplied parts, I get them to send a genuine replacement and they credit the cost of the original part and cover shipping.

Trouble is, they dont cover the cost of your time to fit the substandard part, remove and refit another. The company is best avoided and then there is less time wasted.

Depends on what you are buying. Anything important I get OEM and normally do not have any problems. There are a lot of things you can get that are Britpart brand that are fine. I do find new genuine parts are not nearly as good as the original parts they replace. It is easy to compare prices and make up your own mind what is worth it and what is not with each individual item. There are very (important) parts that they do not offer as OEM and all of the OEM parts I receive from them are OEM branded. This discussion on swivels is a strange one as BP only shows an OEM version and it would be hard to believe that the OEM has a different cast or forge for different buyers so they should both (OEM and genuine) have the same markings.

An example of something I could not get OEM was a lift pump. The BP branded one would get a couple of years. The genuine one cost over ten times the price. I switched to genuine, but it hurt. If that one fails, I will be really unhappy....and that will be the end of using a cam driven lift pump.

But there are good manufacturers of parts that you don't have to go genuine for. Delphi lift pumps for example are only about £30 and they are perfectly OK. Why would you bother buying a BP one for £10 or a genuine one for £100 (I am just making up prices here) when a good brand is both relatively cheap and reliable.

Tetu0san is right about the lift pump. I've had a Delphi one for my 200tdi before also.

The other point about OEM is that very often, OEM is not the same as genuine. Daan made this point earlier, I've found it before with items and it's discussed in my bush replacement thread, plus others have mentioned it in discussions regarding props and UJs. So, even if britpart and bearmach state OEM, it's not necessarily the same quality as genuine.

Tetu0san is right about the lift pump. I've had a Delphi one for my 200tdi before also.

The other point about OEM is that very often, OEM is not the same as genuine. Daan made this point earlier, I've found it before with items and it's discussed in my bush replacement thread, plus others have mentioned it in discussions regarding props and UJs. So, even if britpart and bearmach state OEM, it's not necessarily the same quality as genuine.

Post #105 ;)

Interesting thread re the swivels as I'm looking to do my front axle soon, have to wonder why ashcrofts havnt done a version? I know they have the force 9 gear but maybe it'd be an option for them.

On another note some of you might remember my britpart rear calipers that had misdrilled mounting holes, they were excellent dealing with that to be honest and they weren't even bought by me new!

My cents worth, out in the Great Victoria Desert in Western Australia corrugations, and shoddy workmanship caused the oil cooler to crack at the right hand union, it had been forced. Okay, phoned my parts supplier on the satellite phone and had a new oil cooler and hoses flown in to Ilkurluka - to get there I had to cut off the unions off the hoses and by-pass the cooler with a length of 1/2" ID hydraulic hose I carried in my spares kit.

The parts duely arrived, a new oil cooler, (made in Scotland), a genuine LR hose and one in a blue bag :angry2:. I replaced all the above parts and off we drove, (by this time I had a smashed up left hand that I'd stiched up but thats another story).

Within 1000 kilometres we lost traction, the problem was found to be the blue bag hose, it had cracked just under the compressed ring and dumped ATF all over the desert track.

This ring or flange is formed by the pipe being held and pressed in a hydraulic ram tool to form the bead that locates the sealing "O" ring, on inspection there was simply no radius, in other words the tooling used to form the ring was too sharp and consequently had cut into the metal of the pipe while it was being formed.

While I had no problems in getting a replacement hose from my supplier once we returned to civilisation had I not had silver solder, flux with me and a blow torch in my tool kit to fill in the crack we would have been up the desert without a paddle.

After I received a damaged genuine crankshaft seal this week, I believe the supplier's returns policy goes a long way towards the value in the price.

The retailer has sent out a replacement straight away just from a photo, and doesn't require the damaged item back. I suspect for the retailer they have more flexibility in how to operate and LR's returns policy is quite trusting. Presumably because they don't expect many failures, they will always give the benefit of the doubt and warrant them on a small amount of evidence and are insured to this effect,

With the larger box companies the retailers have to collect the item and send it back for inspection before issuing any refund, causing pain for the retailer and user, but the company is protecting itself because they have so many failures. I've had to go through this many times and it's a massive pain when all you want is another part. It's also a case that if it's too much hassle then people might not even bother returning the item and suck up the loss because it'd be quicker to buy a new part rather than go through returns and refunds.

Always has and always will be.

That is one of the greatest problems with part supplies out of China, they get you in and then roll you over, thing is, nobody ever seems to learn from it, they all go there with the idea that they are getting the best deal ever and well, erm, that part will now cost them millions and give competitors a better eye opener as well as a sales pitch too.

around 30 years ago I worked for a company that had Landrover components manufactured in Taiwan, India and Spain. When a new shipment of stuff came in I would take random samples and check them as best I could for material quality, and there was an agreement with the manufacturer that they would not get paid if the components were unsatisfactory.Whole shipments of critical components such as tie rod ends, axle drive flanges, Steering relays, differential components etc, all made from poor quality cast iron were found and promptly scrapped during the period I worked there. I don't see why a similar agreement couldn't be signed between the pirate parts makers and the British distributors.

You would have thought that by now that people in business would have realised that when you deal with different cultures to your own , that they will quite often have a totally different mindset , and although its a generalization the mindset of certain asian cultures are quite a gamble. On top of that business ethics are quite an oxymoron in the modern world it would seem . The days of "my word is my bond" :o are past JMHO

You are correct with the cultural differences, but we are talking about quality assurance aswell

And the box shifter "should" be horrified/angry with the supplier if quality is found to be low, on certain items at least

This, so far, appears not to have been the case...

Always has and always will be.

That is one of the greatest problems with part supplies out of China, they get you in and then roll you over, thing is, nobody ever seems to learn from it, they all go there with the idea that they are getting the best deal ever and well, erm, that part will now cost them millions and give competitors a better eye opener as well as a sales pitch too.

that happens to manufacturers that source from the UK too, some companies will quote low, manufacture a batch well and then when QC is passed, the quality starts to slip its not just a china problem unfortunately

• 2 weeks later...

Any developments on testing of those cast iron swivel balls ? Or has everyone lost interest until some poor sod and his family wipe themselves out when their wheel falls off at speed and they slam head on into a tree ? As I stated before, post me a piece of the shattered swivel ball and I can have it professionally analysed for free.