Steering dampers

Mo Murphy

I prefer the stock cheap ones.

I acquired a fancy heavy duty gas one a while back and tried that on a defender, but it just made the steering really heavy.

And on my daily drive Range Rover, I took the damper off two years ago as I was making a couple of mods, haven't noticed a jot of difference on the road and it hasn't been back on since.

The cheap ones are fine off road too, it's not like they take the same hammering as a suspension damper, and seem to last a long time.

I had a Terrafirma RTC version and was very unimpressed with it. The bush in the eye end wore very quickly and replacements are unavailable by themselves. The spring also used to unwind around the clamp-on collar.

I've now got a nice OME version, it seems much better, so much so that we just fitted one to dad's 90 also. It did make the steering a little bit more firm as Eightpot said.

I went middle ground on price. 'Nothing' doesn't work off road if it's very bumpy, even going slow. Stuck it for about a year before I gave up and put a Gwyn Lewis kit on the RRC chassis. (My S1 hasn't one). Coiler's seem to just be on the edge of needing one, so quality should only buy better seals and oil, not works/doesn't work :)

Armstrong or Woodhead, both of which I understand to be OEM, are ideal. The expensive gas dampers are too stiff, but more crucially, pressurised gas dampers want to self-extend, and so have a continuous input on the steering towards the near side on a Series vehicle or Defender and to the right on a RRC or Discovery (due to the positioning of the damper).

Mo I fitted a cheapy paddocks one (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Britpart item either, maybe Armstrong) It wasn't expensive. Its been fine and abused for 3 years now. I will need another one not because it doesn't work but because points came before brain moment trialling and I got caght up on a concrete post which has caused it has bent slightly after taking out a std drag rod at the same time.The bushes have worn on the damper. Its worth buying Genuine bushes or better quality bushes as the ones that come don't last as long as the damper will.