Defender 2015 built in India?

o_teunico

• 1 month later...

Well, in a young chaps opinion, I don't care where the things built in all honesty, India has a better economy than us so it was going to happen anyway. I think it's a new way of thinking for the old defender range and I'll welcome this new looking thing into my garage... next to my 90TDI of course ;) I just hope they do a pickup! And actually stick SDV6 and SDV8's in this time!

Given the platform I'd be honest and call it what it is - Freelander Pickup. And, honestly, that would probably be a great vehicle.

Not only will that not replace the Defender, it's not meant to, for every Defender you see on the road there are 10x Nissan Juke, Toyota Rav4, etc., and I suspect that is where they'd be aiming this.

Some people won't be happy until LR announce they're going to start building 200TDi defenders with galv chassis and selling them for less than half what it costs to build. Oh and it should be warmer, comfier, quieter, should not rust, leak, or break down but also they mustn't use any modern bits, and especially not any electronics. :rolleyes:

I was led to believe the old defender tooling was to go abroad to another factory that Tata have an interest in and production would be continued for none EU markets that don't have such stringent standards and still have a market for a more simple, utilitarian vehicle. So one of the things that Britain is most famous for is going to be made abroad and not be available in the UK :D

I guess it would be good for defender owners as it should keep a ready supply of parts and a company may even take up importing low volumes, I'm not an expert by any means but I believe some of the red tape can be bypassed this way? I'm sure someone was importing Lada Nivas in a similar manor?

I was led to believe the old defender tooling was to go abroad to another factory that Tata have an interest in and production would be continued for none EU markets that don't have such stringent standards and still have a market for a more simple, utilitarian vehicle. So one of the things that Britain is most famous for is going to be made abroad and not be available in the UK :D

I guess it would be good for defender owners as it should keep a ready supply of parts and a company may even take up importing low volumes, I'm not an expert by any means but I believe some of the red tape can be bypassed this way? I'm sure someone was importing Lada Nivas in a similar manor?

Another in a fine tradition. Morris Oxford, Royal Enfield, ...

Another in a fine tradition. Morris Oxford, Royal Enfield, ...

When I went to India on business way back in 1984 I visited a world class firm named Metropolitan Springs, that aside from producing relatively new technology back then Parabolic springs for Ashok Leyland, Tata and Merc trucks, also produced halfshafts and other transmission shafts of superior quality to the original British product. They offered to make my company 10 spline halfshafts that they would guarantee were stronger and more flexible than the very good (in those days) 24 spline Salisbury halfshafts, but my company declined due to cost.

British automotive engineering standards, outside of the racing industry, doesn't enjoy a great reputation internationally, and LandRover, particularly with the Defender type vehicles are one of the worse offenders, so I don't see that the Indians could do a worse job of building Defenders unless they try really really hard to do so.

Fridge,

You forgot Tax Exempt from new, 40MPG, wider to accommodate right elbow and the lifetime warranty regardless of any modifications the owner may make.....

Perhaps the clock for tax exemption should start when the designer last had an original thought :-)

British automotive engineering standards, outside of the racing industry, doesn't enjoy a great reputation internationally, and LandRover, particularly with the Defender type vehicles are one of the worse offenders, so I don't see that the Indians could do a worse job of building Defenders unless they try really really hard to do so.

Tend to agree. It is just unfortunate that most vehicles produced there are not allowed to be imported here.

Indian cars, built for the Indian market are not built to be luxurious 'UK standard' vehicles, they do not hope or wish to be, but are built to be attractive to people in a developing economy - and that means basic, cheap and, while not poor quality, made of thinner less robust materials (well, cheap!). Do not think that this means that Indian products are, by default, sub standard. The entire British motor industry made that mistake with Japanese cars 50 years ago, along with many other sectors of industry, and look where they are now!

I am not too sure about current Defender production moving abroad for foreign markets. I can see why it may be attractive, and why enthusiasts may be happy for a straw at which to clutch, but one thing that Landrover will design into the next generation Defender is economy of production. It will be cheap to make from stamped and welded panels like a Fiesta, and designed to be made by robots as opposed to the current Defender which is assembled by hand and, allegedly, costs more per unit to manufacture than a RangeRover - in terms of actual assembly I can easily believe it as there are many men to pay and few robots. So the current Defender, if it is built abroad, will have to compete with 'new' Defender on price. New Defender could be built for non-EU/US markets with a basic interior, simple brakes and simplified less 'green' engines so there is no 'simplicity' card to play, just price - and as I observed above, that is what sells cars in a developing market; not heated ashtrays and wash/wipe seats nor the ability of third user enthusiasts to rebuild them as 'off-roaders'.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Chris

I’m seeing a very different picture of the industry from where I’m sat! I work in an automotive electrical and electronic design consultancy that is going from strength to strength, where a good chunk of work is with foreign automotive OEMS.

The balance of trade for vehicles recently went positive for the first time since the 1970s, which is great news- whilst we still import many of our smaller cars, our premium brands are selling exceptionally well worldwide and that includes pretty much the whole JLR range, Aston Martin, Bentley, Mini etc.

We have the Nissan plant in Sunderland exporting much of its production to Europe, and the UK designed Qashqai selling phenomenally well.

We have some of the most efficient car plants in the world (Toyota, Honda, Nissan)

We have consulting houses (Ricardo, Mira, our company etc), successfully selling engineering expertise worldwide.

We have foreign OEMS with engineering centres in the UK- SAIC, TATA Motors etc

We are building new production lines- (JLR) or expanding existing lines (Nissan).

We have investment in modern research facilities being pushed by government in Universities and ‘Catapult’ Centres; (Warwick university, The Manufacturing Technology Centre (Ansty))

The only negative I see is that we have lost a lot of our component supply base to other countries, but even here I am seeing slow changes with a few smaller suppliers we use bringing back work to the UK.

Much of this investment is coming from foreign headquartered businesses- they obviously see the benefits. We are a long, long way of the doldrums of the industry in the 70s- Let’s shout about what we are doing well!!!

You have to remember the labour intensive assembly and nut and bolt fixability will appeal to certain markets with low labour costs and the lower automation makes moving the plant easier. At the end of the day you can build the same factory anywhere in the world so you either go near your raw material, near your customer or where the cost is lower (people, energy, regulation, grants, taxes etc)

There is a definite trend towards repatriation in manufacture, partly due to poor quality but global material and fuel prices are narrowing the gap in price. Couple that with the issues of managing the huge lead times and the cost of holding stock due to bad weather, strikes etc and it just becomes easier. Mini are installing something like 1000 new robots as the range increases. I don't think we will ever see the days of say the train works at Doncaster where iron ore went in and trains came out but atleast its an industry that trades in real things unlike the 'city' that the government has put its faith in for so many years.