More Regulations

mmgemini

Mike, what have you made me do? I always want an argument when I read that rag.

Looks like the whole thing was based around making it easier to buy and sell cars across the border with other EU members, something of course we over here have a slightly bigger problem with ..... unless of course we are now going to have to move our steering wheels over.

Quote: 'the new license plate proposals were the work of a dutch liberal democrat MEP'.

That will never catch on over here, I reckon. The dutch system was fundamentally flawed as it was invented so that only 1 set of plates could ever get made, so you could not get 2 cars with the same number plates driving on the road. Unfortunately, the people that did this now went on to physically nick the plates from the car, rather than writing down the number and have some made. Leaving the legit owner with a much bigger problem than before. Next thing in line with EU regulations is to also introduce a registration and roadtax for every trailer on the road, like they did in Holland. another complete disaster.

I trust the UK government not to take on this bit of legislation, which, judging from the article is indeed the case.

Because of EU regs , you now get full VIN and mileage on HGV MOT cert , this is because they have to use the VIN to track a vehicle , as the number plate changes , whenever there is a new owner , in most EU countries, unlike here where it stays with the vehicle for its entire life . We already have to suffer the stupidity of having the turn signal switch on the same side as gear lever. to suit the europeans that drive on the wrong side of the road !

Come on, this is the Daily Mail we're talking about! Factual correctness is never high on their list of prerequisites for running a news story, remember the "EU straight bananas" bull***t they peddled many years ago?

I'm no fan of the EU but believing this for a second without hard evidence (ie. a statement from the EU themselves) is plain silly. And even if they did propose such a scheme it would never wash with this country.

• Like 2

i cant see how they can get away with this, cant see how they will. what about those with vintage cars? who wants anything other than the black and silver pressed plates on those?

yet another "idea" which fuels the nations hatred for the EU...

• Like 3

Actually the licenseplate system, was already very much like that in Denmark before anything was called EU. The beauty of the Danish system is that a car cannot have any licenseplates on unless it is properly insured and taxed. (well it can until you run into a police officer) But I have all the respect in the world for your desire to keep your system. I hate all of the fundamental things in Denmark that they think have to mess with. Something that always springs to mind whenever the EU talks about such plans is a comment they have made since very early on "We are not planning on making a United States of Europe!" Yeah right....

Actually the licenseplate system, was already very much like that in Denmark before anything was called EU. The beauty of the Danish system is that a car cannot have any licenseplates on unless it is properly insured and taxed.

The problem there is that some of us have multi-vehicle "fleet" insurance cover that allows us to drive any vehicle provided it is with the vehicle-owner's permission. It gets further complicated because the documented "registered keeper" of a vehicle may not be the legal title-owner of the property in the vehicle (this particularly applies to things like contracts and leases).

The title-owner should not need to have insurance in order to acquire licence-plates for the vehicle. Indeed, someone I know is 85 years old and she doesn't even have a driving-licence but she is the title-holder for a number of vehicles owned by her company.

Not sure what country it was but read an article about some place where the plate was issued to the driver not the car and acted as road tax, the vehicle had a seperate identity i.e. vin number.

The advantage of the system was you had to have a driving license to get a plate, if you got banned the plate was withdrawn, once you got one it could and had to be put on any vehicle you were driving so identifying the plate automatically identified the driver, none of the "wasn't me driving at the time the car was clocked doing 125mph in a 30mph zone" your plate your ticket. Driving with any one elses plate on was an automatic offence. Also as the plate was road tax if you had multiple vehicles the plate just moved between them with you so only one lot of road tax as you can only drive one at a time any way, down side was if there were multiple drivers of one vehicle then multiple lots of road tax, guess they get there money back some how. I believe the plates identified what vehicles it could be used on so different colour or code for some one with HGV licence (and extra cost I am sure). Not sure what happened to overseas drivers guess a temporary plate would be issued.

If you parked up, you took the plate with you so theft should be minimal, pretty much similar type of system to how trade plates work.

Oh for f**ks sake people, it's the Daily Mail, it's not real news - this will have been some rumour of a suggestion of a proposal by some underling that perhaps it might be a reasonable idea to look at standardising number-plates across the EU, which frankly is not a daft idea anyway.

And, if they did come up with some new standard plate it would make a hell of a lot of sense to make it easily computer-readable.

Please stop falling for this sort of lazy journalism and find one of the hundreds of things they don't report that's far more important and get angry / animated about that instead. Somewhere, people are starving to death.

So FF the BBC news is wrong as well as the Mail. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Sometimes they both write the same stories. From a different angle though.

I one went to a car rally. The next week when I read the report it seems I went to a totally different event in the same place :rtfm:

Oh for f**ks sake people, it's the Daily Mail, it's not real news - this will have been some rumour of a suggestion of a proposal by some underling that perhaps it might be a reasonable idea to look at standardising number-plates across the EU, which frankly is not a daft idea anyway.

And, if they did come up with some new standard plate it would make a hell of a lot of sense to make it easily computer-readable.

Please stop falling for this sort of lazy journalism and find one of the hundreds of things they don't report that's far more important and get angry / animated about that instead. Somewhere, people are starving to death.

Spot on. Sensationalist journalism of a sloppy standard designed to get you wound up - just what the Guardian, Mirror and Mail are known for. ANd I agree that this is the brainchild of a low level MEP who is trying to make a name for himself and that it will be dropped because every nation will want their own system to be the template and no nation wants the cost of changing what works for them. There is no benefit in the change, as the vehicles already have VIN plates and each vehicle would have to be transferred to the domicile country's register anyway. It's just a dead-ended proposal.

I wouldn't dismiss this as either Daily Mail sensastionalism or the work of a crackpot MEP.

Everything now relies on ANPR, hence why the tax disc will no longer be required.

There have been repeated discussions about an EU wide ANPR system to both track vehicle movement and help enforce cross border motoring fines. One of the problems raised was the number of different registration plate styles.

I think this will happen, although it's probably some years away yet and it wouldn't apply retrospectively.

Unless of course we all vote UKIP :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That would be one of the benefits of such a system - many of my colleagues are from mainland Europe and have their cars here. I have strong suspicions that many of them are untested, untaxed and uninsured, but can't be caught unless asked to show their documents. But do we need new number plates to deal with this, or just a set of linked databases that the ANPR system taps into?

It's not the technology, it's how its used.

It's not just for all the terrible abuses of our human rights the Daily Mail would have us believe; what about all the immigrant trucks coming over here ruining our haulage businesses? What about all the defenders etc. stolen and exported?

Sure, it's nice to be able to get away with myriad traffic offences whilst on holiday, but I don't think we can really grumble about them ruining our fun.

ANPR can be big brother if abused, but it's also bloody brilliant for catching crooks; A mate's 110 was stolen off his drive, he reported it as the crooks were driving off up the road in it, by the time they were 20 miles up the M3 they'd been caught on ANPR and the fuzz pulled them at the next services. Defender returned, bad guys nabbed. Likewise uninsured drivers, cars without MOT's, both of which cost the rest of us money on our insurance. You can scan a car-park full of cars with one camera up a pole from 100 yards away and pick out every uninsured, stolen, un-roadworthy, crook-owned or crime-connected one in a few seconds. Yes there's ways round it, yes it can be abused, but it's also very useful.

It's not the technology, it's how its used.

It's not just for all the terrible abuses of our human rights the Daily Mail would have us believe; what about all the immigrant trucks coming over here ruining our haulage businesses? What about all the defenders etc. stolen and exported?

Sure, it's nice to be able to get away with myriad traffic offences whilst on holiday, but I don't think we can really grumble about them ruining our fun.

ANPR can be big brother if abused, but it's also bloody brilliant for catching crooks; A mate's 110 was stolen off his drive, he reported it as the crooks were driving off up the road in it, by the time they were 20 miles up the M3 they'd been caught on ANPR and the fuzz pulled them at the next services. Defender returned, bad guys nabbed. Likewise uninsured drivers, cars without MOT's, both of which cost the rest of us money on our insurance. You can scan a car-park full of cars with one camera up a pole from 100 yards away and pick out every uninsured, stolen, un-roadworthy, crook-owned or crime-connected one in a few seconds. Yes there's ways round it, yes it can be abused, but it's also very useful.

I have to say, if you're worried about the authorities knowing where you're driving, you're probably up to no good. I don't know anyone so mesmerising that the authorities would take the slightest interest in where they've been or with who. So many people seem to think they're fascinating, the centre of the universe, and that the understaffed police and intelligence services are going to make time and stay on late at work just to track them. The same people with these paranoias about the big brother monitoring are also the most prolific posters on social media! ANPR is a great tool.

Untaxed, uninsured .... most probably not registered to the person using it as they gave a false address to the person they bought it from for cash. ANPR wont help there unless it's a mobile ANPR in a police car.

IIRC the static ANPR camera records can only be checked when the police have good reason, and they can only search for a specific registration number rather than go trawling for law breakers........ or maybe I made that bit up, this is the internet after all ;)