Rent free welding gas

I searched but all the threads seem are a few years old and I'm looking for recent experience.

Who has a rent free welding gas bottle(s)?

Which company is it from?

How much does it cost you and what's their service like?

Got myself a new welder and am now in need of some argon. Sadly I think work would notice a full size bottle in my work bag :P

I have hobby weld argon shield for the mig. I've tried 15 and that really digs in, you've no chance of doing bodywork with it. Next I went onto 5 and found I was really struggling to get it to dig in on thick stuff. The best gas I've ever used is boc universal which if my memory serves is about 12. I guess it depends what your doing, you could always have a bottle of each :)

The bottles are a lower pressure, I would say there's about half the gas as you get in a boc bottle but both companies give pressure and volume if you want to calculate it exactly.

From memory boc was costing me about £90 a year in rent, £30 per fill up and lasting about 2 years. Hobby weld is one off deposit of around £60 then around £30 per refill and lasts me about a year. If have to dig through my paperwork to be more accurate on price.

Mine comes from goole gas supplies, drive in, give them old bottle + £30, drive out with new bottle.

They take a standard boc size regulator.

Hth

I second Adams Gas.

If you are not a big user it pays to not have the bottle rental to deal with. A BOC size Y used to last me about 5 years, so a lot of rental for a bottle of gas when a fill up was IRO £50!

I'm only on my second Adams bottle (9 lit @137 bar, 5% Argon) and if I want to return it I get my deposit back. It's nice and portable too.

Adams also offer 20 litres bottles at 200 bar which is more akin to BOC sizes, and still rent free.

Have a look for local distributors here

I've got hobbyweld 5, love it to bits, I get mine from a supply up here. £55 to "buy" the bottle and £26 for top ups. - it lasts a good while, if you don't forget to close the regulator before you leave the garage for the night... doh...

Not being funny but Halfauds sell argo shield in small hobby bottles as do machine mart. Round these here parts in sunny Essex a couple of the welding suppliers will sell you a small bottle for £50 then just fill as needed so try your local supplier as it might just be the job.

HTH.

Not being funny but Halfauds sell argo shield in small hobby bottles as do machine mart. Round these here parts in sunny Essex a couple of the welding suppliers will sell you a small bottle for £50 then just fill as needed so try your local supplier as it might just be the job.

HTH.

I'm near you so.......Any chance saying who for the gas round here? Cheers

This thread prompted me to have a moan in the local BOC place, they agreed with out any hassle, swap to BOC from my current (Air products) supplier.

For Argon its a slightly cheaper fill and 75% saving on rental.

That puts it fimly in the ball bark of the hobby gas deal but with full size 232 bar bottles.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of anywhere in the Somerset/Dorset region that do it? I've just looked at the rent we've been paying on argoshield and on the cans for the gas axe, and it's far and away outstripped the actual value of the gas I've used. Is it possible to get rent-free oxygen and acetylene?

I have a BOC account and I loathe everything about them .......

So

Was delighted to see that Albee Gasses from SPA Lancing gives you

Owned bootle

Bottle is exchanged each time its refilled

You get a refund on the bottle (about 80%) should you ever close account

CHEAPER by far than BOC

and

the big ones

HAS THE SAME VOLUME of gas as a BOC bottle, slightly smaller as huigher pressure

I have handed in one of my BOC Bottles and taken one of these out on a trial basis spot on

I had a worried call from BOC HQ why I was handing in when I said they sort of growled / yepled that "Oh Christ" type respionse.

IMHO bout time BOC had some serious competition Albee Gasses seem to be just that, even has built in regulator, differing sizes but 100% BOC Equivalents

:D

I have a BOC account and I loathe everything about them .......

So

Was delighted to see that Albee Gasses from SPA Lancing gives you

Owned bootle

Bottle is exchanged each time its refilled

You get a refund on the bottle (about 80%) should you ever close account

CHEAPER by far than BOC

and

the big ones

HAS THE SAME VOLUME of gas as a BOC bottle, slightly smaller as huigher pressure

I have handed in one of my BOC Bottles and taken one of these out on a trial basis spot on

I had a worried call from BOC HQ why I was handing in when I said they sort of growled / yepled that "Oh Christ" type respionse.

IMHO bout time BOC had some serious competition Albee Gasses seem to be just that, even has built in regulator, differing sizes but 100% BOC Equivalents

:D

Can't seem to find any prices online for the large bottles, any idea roughly how much the full size argon (not argoshield) bottle is and how much refills are?

Couple of weeks ago I went to Wellington Welding in Avonmouth, got a cylinder of Hobbyweld 5, 137 bar, 9l.

http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/default.php?page=35

‘rent free’ in that you pay a £60 deposit (you get £40 back if you don’t want the cylinder anymore), £30 to fill. All plus VAT. So I paid £108 total for a cylinder. No rental or contract or having the bottle tested.

Bit of a wrench to the wallet, but equally, beats faffing around trying to get pub cylinders filled or those stooopid disposables...(MIG) welds seem ok with that mix too.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Cut a long story short I bought a mig welder complete with a big bottle while I was at college and managed to get a full bottle from there.this was obviously a boc bottle. So anyway since then I've managed to use it all could someone advice me the best way to go. Maybe like a few people say and try a rent free or does anyone no anyone who knows anyone who has a contract with boc that would be willing to exchange ;). I'm in the Warminster, Wiltshire

Regards

Ben