Who killed Bambi....?

freeagent

less than twelve hours after attending Old Sodbury, which was full of reasonably priced Disco bumpers... I swerved to avoid a deer who jumped out in front of me, i missed the deer, but clouted a tree resulting in this..

med_gallery_169_181_515233.jpg

the bumper was pushed back and just touched the tyre, the wing has been pushed out slightly, but i think it'll pull in when the broken innner-wing fixings are replaced, the headlight is out of alignment and the indicator wont sit straight. :(

the plastic trim below the headlight was smashed to bits... but the lights are all working and as its just cosmetic damage i won't be bothering with the insurance company, as my excess is £200.. and looking at the amount of bits that are slightly damaged, they might threaten to write it off.... :angry:<_<

if anyone has one of those plastic trim bits from below the headlight, PM me, you might have just sold it.

i'm after a bumper aswell (see add on classifieds forum) will take either a good, straight standard bumper, or a H/D or winch bumper if a good price. ;)

if anyone has any tips on re-aligning this lot, feel free to post them. :huh:

cheers

m@tt.

That Isuzu looks like a write off. :D

Your 90 doesn't look to bad considering, Ciderman.

Matt - you'll probably find that most of it will align when you put the replacement bits on, but the headlight aim will most likely need re-setting. Most garages only charge a tenner to do it.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim
the bumper was pushed back and just touched the tyre, the wing has been pushed out slightly, but i think it'll pull in when the broken innner-wing fixings are replaced, the headlight is out of alignment and the indicator wont sit straight

Sounds like it's factory fresh then! :ph34r:

You should have 'followed through' and taken out Bambi. :ph34r:

Free meat for a few months at least. :D

Roadkill. Manna from the highway :rolleyes:

Without a decent bull bar (ARB or simerlar) I wouldn't! Have you seen th damage a deer will do to a car? Plus, if you hit a stag, it'll come through the windscrean and likely impale you with its horns.

After some very prudent advice i will hit any animal going.

their are vey very very few animals which can kill you if you hit them- none in the UK unless you are vey very unlucky, Moose and Elk have pretty bad reps (as they are so high you hit the legs and then they collapse the windscreen- which is why the elk test was so important).

You are much much better off taking out the animal and not taking the risk of killing you/ your passenger/ another road user. SO many deaths have been caused by people swerving to avoid Cats/ Dogs etc. It's just not worth it.

Kill the animal on the road and not yourself or another!

Matt- had you been going a bit quicker and hit the tree in the middle of the car, you could have quite easily killed yourself and certainly destroyed the car. A deer (which really doesn't weigh very much usually) might have taken your rad out and your bonnet out. On balance take the deer out nextime.

erm ask Fridge how we deal with strays... head hit roes are worth keeping, body shots arent so good unless it dies instantly or the meats tainted, this time of year deer still need gralloching instantly though unless you enjoy watching the world dropping out of your bottom :blink: whatever you hit make sure you finish it off - people that leave wounded animals are beyond contempt

given the option of wiping out bambi/thumper/retarded long tailed chickens or hitting immovable or oncoming things go for the fluffy option everytime - meat is much softer than wood/steel <_<

if its a 750kg Bull moose though - push the pedal through the floor, its gonna be a whole world of nastiness if you meet one of those at speed :o

I once hit (or was hit by) a pigeon in my <cough>Jeep Karioki</cough>. I was only doing about 30 (honest Ocifer) It bust the grille, headlight, and damaged the bonnet & wing. £1000 bill later, I thought it best to avoid animals on the road in future!

Si

well we drove home from Lynmouth late one night and a full grown stag was running along the road towards us, we stopped it went around the side of the car and from the drivers seat you could see under its belly through the passenger window

hit that in the freelander would have been lights out time for us inside Id wager!

it then proceeded to smash its way through the hedgerow into a field.

stopping's always gonna be the best plan :i-m_so_happy:

- but just for reference :lol: if you do ever have to choose what to hit and what not to hit;

an adult Roe buck's going to be around 35kgs

a Fallow buck is more substantial at around 90kgs after a good summer

an artic's somewhere near 38,000kgs with a full belly

I can carry venison all day, Ive not tried it with an artic but Im pretty sure its beyond my abilities :lol:

Mine is normally loud enough to scare most things :D and so have only had a few problems. But after a few events I have decided to ease off or brake gently for small animals and break hard if it anything big like a deer, swerving is just dangerous. If I was in a small car then I would brake if it was a animal say the size of a badger as it can cause some damage and also the small car I drive has ABS which can help with the initial reaction.

Jon

Jim,

Try driving from Simonsbath across the tops to Lynton on a dark night.

If you broadside a cow / exmoor pony in anything smaller than HGV you are going to be in a whole world of pain. No need for exotic animals - cows are plent heavy enough - I know of at least once couple (admittedly in a porsche) who met their end on that road courtesy of a black cow looking the other way...... :o

After seeing a fatal accident just outside Perth about 5 years ago, when a young couple in a car swerved to miss a roo and had a head on with another car, I have come to the conclussion, try and stop otherwise just take it out, insurance will fix the damage and you will live to see another day.

Not necessarily Bish

Car hits cow

my old man once hite a fully grown friesen bull at 70 in a Pug 505- car was total write off but we all got out alive and unhurt. It was a better option than running into the artic coming the other way at 50mph. Don't remember it unfortunately as i was too young.

About 16 years ago I got an old guy in a austin metro said he had hit a badger and the car was steering badly. We collected it on a trailer and when I got underneath the badger had pushed the front valance under the car, bent the track arm and pushed the rear end of the front subframe into the floor so hard that the floor split. Admittedly the car was a rusty austin metro, but it was beyond economical repair for a garage to fix.

When I was a kid I remember my dad swearing at a driver who had over took us on a holiday in scotland. A little while down the road we had to pull over as the same car had hit a deer and wiped out a full front panel, lights, bonet etc... he still laughs about it now.............I still agree with the "hit it" policy though. Swerve and you could plough into people/trees/waggon etc....

Bloody animals, should ban them!

Jas

You should have 'followed through' and taken out Bambi. :ph34r:

Free meat for a few months at least. :D

Roadkill. Manna from the highway :rolleyes:

its not as simple as that. Our medeival laws would count that as poaching. however if you drive off turn round and approach the road kill from the other direction then you are no longer poaching and are free to take the deer home. There is also something about running around the road kill three times as well to allow the owner of the road kill time to collect it.

Taking anything larger than a rabbit constituted poaching, which was punishable by mutilation or death.