Haggling

Anderzander

I love haggling always have done, it's one of the traits I inherited from my father who was a master at getting a deal, one of his favourite sayings was ask, they can only say no. When we first got together my wife hated the fact that I would rarely, if ever, accept the ticket price but she soon caught on after seeing that discounts were there for the asking. It's all a psychological game, a bit of banter, a bit of back and forth and trying to either win the seller around ....or wear them down;) As for dealers, I recently got a better trade in offer for my last Puma against my new one than I was offered around this time last year, the difference being timing, a different dealership and a salesman who could see that I didn't appreciate BS and that there was cash on the table if he was prepared to give a little.

• Like 1

I'll go for the reverse opinion, I hate haggling! What's wrong with asking and giving a fair price for something without having to endlessly banter with the other party?

Another "trick" that seems to work is to bring a friend, who is very negative about the car. This leaves you free to be slightly giddy, while he'll just constantly be saying "that's wrong with it, walk away mate". If you look like you want the vehicle, but will only buy it with the blessing of said friend, they'll probably be more open to haggling. (at least, that seems to have worked for my P38 :P)

If I went to practice on an item I really didn't want I could easily see myself end up buying it. :-). Sounds too risky . Practise on something you half want.

I have to admit, that is a risk! I usually come back from Newbury with a load of stuff I don't really need and wonder 'why did I buy this?'. ;)

People often asked why X-Eng didn't offer 'show prices'. My feeling was that only the people prepared to haggle deserved a discount! I love being on the receiving end of a haggle too - an opportunity to learn more of the art!

The best rebuff to a haggle I've had, at Newbury went along the lines of:

Me: "How much?"

Seller: "£10"

Me:"How about a fiver?"

Seller:"How about £15"

Me: "Errr...." <don't have an answer for that one!>

Seller. "Tell you what, how about we split the difference and call it £10"

I thought that was just brilliant! I've used it myself more than once now! If you were that man - I take my hat off to you!

Si

A family friend did something similar with a house sale years ago, the buyer tried to knock more money at the last minute.

Friend told the estate agent that he wouldn't reduce the price and would in fact increase the price by a grand every week the buyer delayed by, house sale went through really quickly after that.

Which was a good bit of luck for my friend as 6 weeks after the sale a front garden further down the street disappeared into an old undocumented mine shaft, this of course would have caused untold grief for his house sale if it had happened before or during it.

A family friend did something similar with a house sale years ago, the buyer tried to knock more money at the last minute.

Friend told the estate agent that he wouldn't reduce the price and would in fact increase the price by a grand every week the buyer delayed by, house sale went through really quickly after that.

Which was a good bit of luck for my friend as 6 weeks after the sale a front garden further down the street disappeared into an old undocumented mine shaft, this of course would have caused untold grief for his house sale if it had happened before or during it.

Haha. I did something similar with a house sale once. I got so pee'd off with being messed around, I dropped the price I'd offered by a further £12k (worked out at a further 7%), said take it or I'd walk away and they could risk several more months on the market (it'd become a repossession at this point).... I'd already got them down £13k from the asking price. I wish I'd dropped it more! It's funny, but I have no problem with that sort of haggling, it's just car dealers that I don't have any luck with.

I thought I was pretty good at haggling but I'm not sure now, tool man has been and rather than buying some double jointed needle nose pliers for £40 I've bought them and some extra long spanner s for £50, hey ho can't go wrong with tools......

Anyway where's the pics of the new motor?

Will.

I did ! :)

Mentioned it here :

Yes ! Thank you everyone - you've all been hugely generous and helpful.

I put as much into practice yesterday as I could - and did manage to get some knocked off. Not a lot - but there was very little wrong with it and the price was very fair.

• Like 1

Just a tip that hasn't been posted yet

If you reach a stalemate and your not willing to give any more.... leave your number and let them know your keen its just priced to high, most take it to be polite

I've bought a couple of cars like this.... been rung back a couple weeks - a month later.... one I negotiated him down from my agreed price because he rang as I was looking at another car lol it became a buyers market

I have a mate who is the king of negotiation.... he bought his misses a new $16000 bed for a shade over $8000 took him a week of going back before he got it lol oh since separated and she got the bed....