110 c pillar repair

I was having a poke around the 110 the other day and couldn't resist poking a finger at a rusty patch on the c pillar in the wheel arch. Of course, it crumbled and left a hole. Both sides are similar. The MOT is due at the end of the month, so i guess these need repairing for that. So in preparation i have bought the YRM repair pieces - look well made.

I've kind of run out of puff at the moment for more dirty repairs and also have a cold, so i went out to start doing bits today, but ended up just stripping the sill and body panel that covers the c pillar, poked the rust a bit more and then packed up. Rather than rush in cutting bits out, when i had clearly lost the will anyway, i thought i would see how you guys would approach it.

I think the floor will need to come out, but does the rear 'seatbox' need to be removed too or will i get away with it in place? I'm currently thinking that it would be easiest to cut the c pillar about a third of the way down the angled section (where the blue tape marks it below) as it is sound above that point and then cut the YRM part to fit. What do you think? Cutting it there should allow easier access than fitting the whole YRM part as getting decent access at the top looks a bit of a pain with the quarterpanel overlapping everything.

Here are some pics:

post-12362-0-38211100-1413026263_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-86897100-1413026264_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-86731700-1413026267_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-12072600-1413026269_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-28477200-1413026271_thumb.jpg

I replaced both of mine with the YRM parts. Used the whole part only because I didn't want to weld it. Hardest bit was splitting it where it's spot welded to the vertical part of the c-post. No need to take out the seat box as it's not joined to it other than the horizontal bracket part. There's a foam insert which fills the gap between the c-post and the seat box - I used the same foam tape that seals the floors panels.

I replaced both of mine with the YRM parts. Used the whole part only because I didn't want to weld it. Hardest bit was splitting it where it's spot welded to the vertical part of the c-post. No need to take out the seat box as it's not joined to it other than the horizontal bracket part. There's a foam insert which fills the gap between the c-post and the seat box - I used the same foam tape that seals the floors panels.

I think, based on my own experience, the the foam insert is a theoretical seal only! Personally filled the gap with a PU sealer - stopped yet another leak, only 1/2 a million to go.

These kind of jobs can seem tricky, and sometimes the precise repair methodology wont come to light until you actually start removing the bad area's. What I would recommend is getting a good spot weld remover drill bit, this can help you remove the bad bits in sometimes a more controlled manor than hacking into it with the grinder.

Something I've learnt with my CT discovery rebuild is that if you're struggling to work out how to fit a big piece, then its too big, so make the 1 bit 2 bits, and then things don't seem half as complicated...

Mav

Pete, when you say you didn't want to weld it, I take it you welded the final whole section in? If not, what did you do?

I think, based on my own experience, the the foam insert is a theoretical seal only! Personally filled the gap with a PU sealer - stopped yet another leak, only 1/2 a million to go.

Haha! I'm chasing those leaks too! PU sealer is what I plan to do.

Pete, when you say you didn't want to weld it, I take it you welded the final whole section in? If not, what did you do?

The original is held in top and bottom with a few spot welds and, as far as I could tell, this part of the C-pillar isn't load bearing for the roof. So I used stainless steel nuts/bolts on at the bottom and 5mm steel rivets at the top. To be sure this was OK I looked into the relative strength of the different attachment methods (spot welds, steel rivets and bolts) and they appeared to be close enough to be OK. I made sure all bolts and rivets were a tight fit so that there was no movement (one of the advantages of welding).

The original is held in top and bottom with a few spot welds and, as far as I could tell, this part of the C-pillar isn't load bearing for the roof. So I used stainless steel nuts/bolts on at the bottom and 5mm steel rivets at the top. To be sure this was OK I looked into the relative strength of the different attachment methods (spot welds, steel rivets and bolts) and they appeared to be close enough to be OK. I made sure all bolts and rivets were a tight fit so that there was no movement (one of the advantages of welding).

I'd often wondered why it wasn't like you described in the first place, sounds sensible enough, and the more important thing is that you actually thought about it before you did it.

Well, floor is out and the rotten bits of the c pillars are cut away ready to trim the yrm repair pieces to weld in. Getting to the top of the diagonal section would be too difficult with the body on and whilst you could cut it away, I'm not sure you would have enough access to weld in the new pieces easily.

This is the drivers side. I'm going to use weld through primer on all the bits that will be have parts welded over them, then paint the lot once the new c pillars are welded in place.

post-12362-0-88058700-1414343287_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-82316400-1414343311_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-22233800-1414343328_thumb.jpg

One quick question - I have new rubber seals for the bottom strip which rivet to the sills on my year vehicle. There seemed to be a metal piece with a rolled top that sits between the rubber and the sill, but that's rotted away good and proper on mine. Anyone know what they are and where I can get one for each side?

One quick question - I have new rubber seals for the bottom strip which rivet to the sills on my year vehicle. There seemed to be a metal piece with a rolled top that sits between the rubber and the sill, but that's rotted away good and proper on mine. Anyone know what they are and where I can get one for each side?

I think I've found the answer for this bit ^^^^

http://www.yrmlandrover.com/epages/BT3575.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3575/Products/133/SubProducts/133-0001

• 1 month later...

Right. New c pillars are all welded in place. Quick question though. There are some small gaps where they meet the sill. Looking at the way the two plates from yrm that make these sections are setup, I can't tell if the gaps are meant to be there for drainage or if I should fill them in. I am leaning towards the latter. There are removable drain plugs in the sill at the lowest point.

What would you do/have you done?

• 4 years later...
On 10/14/2014 at 7:08 PM, Simon Smith said:

I patched the right hand one on mine, but now need to do the left, and mine was indeed only sealed to the seatbox by the carpet being sandwiched between the two!

Five years on and the right hand one needs doing again, including the back section of the sill. This time I'm going to fabricate from stainless steel box section and sheet. See if it lasts any longer. 

• 6 months later...