Ring.....er....

Maverik

Like the way it is advertised as "perfect for export to USA", with the current news about the US tightening importation not sure it would pass there origionallity test..

Let see what would it fail on, non origional parts would be, body shell, chassis, axles, engine, gearbox, interior, suspension system, steering system....

and the origional parts would be.... possible the chassis number plate.

Being sold by someone claiming to be a dealer as well which makes it even worse as they can't claim ignorance and really should get hammered by the authorities.

It's clearly an ex MOD 110

still got the side lockers, map reading light, military bumper, JATE rings and it's green inside

the silly thing is if they just returned it to NATO green and put the correct plates on it would be worth more and could actually be exported :rolleyes:

What I said....

"Hello, just for information, this vehicle is not a 1968 model Land Rover, and from what I can see not one component is from 1968, in which case you can get into a lot of trouble advertising this vehicle as such, it certainly wont get past US customs..."

What he said....

"It's had a lot of modification / body change work, I can only presume that most of it is from a later vehicle. Appreciate the advice though as I'm not overly clued up on these."

It's had power steering, coils, more recent engine, newer chassis and newer body panels fitted. It's almost like the only thing 1968 is the number plate.......

While this is all true, don't you just love the irony that you could buy a new galv Series II chassis, all new panels, engine, g/box, axles and interior and build a 100% new vehicle. Then legally slap the plates and ID of a genuine S2 on it. And still have it tax exempt due to it's age.

While this is all true, don't you just love the irony that you could buy a new galv Series II chassis, all new panels, engine, g/box, axles and interior and build a 100% new vehicle. Then legally slap the plates and ID of a genuine S2 on it. And still have it tax exempt due to it's age.

Technically not true if you were to do that you fall foul of the points system and need an iva. But of course that would involve either the builder being honest, an MOT man who doesn't like you or by some strange miracle a very sharp eye at a roadside check. If you were honest and iva'ed it you would probably get a brand new plate if it passed and you had receipts.

Mike

Technically not true if you were to do that you fall foul of the points system and need an iva. But of course that would involve either the builder being honest, an MOT man who doesn't like you or by some strange miracle a very sharp eye at a roadside check. If you were honest and iva'ed it you would probably get a brand new plate if it passed and you had receipts.

Mike

What points would it fail on? Nothing would be changed from the original design, you are replacing like for like with new part. The only difference being you are replacing everything. I think the points only mean if you change the design and the guidelines also say the word "radically", but never define what is meant by this.

The points apply to any part changed from the vehicle as per how it left the factory. So if you change all the parts for new you don't have any points of the original vehicle and iva is required, like wise if you change them over a period of time there comes a point when you tip the points against you and iva is required. The problem is no one checks as most cars it's actually unlikely you will change enough to hit the threshold. Land rovers are different as it's very easy because there on the road at least twice as long as your average car and it's almost impossible to prove that the parts on any given truck aren't original with the exception of engine, chassis and things like the op.

Sorry back on topic I doubt the number plate is even original.

Mike

The points apply to any part changed from the vehicle as per how it left the factory. So if you change all the parts for new you don't have any points of the original vehicle and iva is required, like wise if you change them over a period of time there comes a point when you tip the points against you and iva is required. The problem is no one checks as most cars it's actually unlikely you will change enough to hit the threshold. Land rovers are different as it's very easy because there on the road at least twice as long as your average car and it's almost impossible to prove that the parts on any given truck aren't original with the exception of engine, chassis and things like the op.

Mike

Its surprising but actually there are a lot more dateable items on a vehicle than you think , especially when the makers are asked by the right people .

I see the item has been removed from sale on ebay !

you should try living here in the ROI anything registered before the 1/1/1980 is 50ish euro a year to tax and test free. anything 30yrs old after 1/1/1980 is 50ish to tax but requires a current road test cert , bear in mind that a eg 1997 passenger discovery is 1080 euro a year to tax and a v8 version 1.5+k

this means there are some 'entertaining' vehicles about, most are blatent ringers but some are done properly as here the vehicle ID is the chassis doesn't matter what's on or under it

Its surprising but actually there are a lot more dateable items on a vehicle than you think , especially when the makers are asked by the right people .

I see the item has been removed from sale on ebay !

I don't disagree that parts are dateable the problem is nobody ever checks and even if they did unless they are a geek or from the factory they can't tell. Most normal cars and parts are either date stamped or have serial numbers. More worrying is it was a VIC inspector that told me he couldn't date any land rover parts (except engine and chassis) this was a few years ago when I put the tomcat on the road mind.

Mike

Mike

Do you have any reference material for this? When I last read it I'm sure like for like replacements didn't count. Else any Land Rover that's had a suspension change, engine rebuild and new steering box would be at risk.

Dont know where you guys are getting your info from ?

Like for like replacements for everything is fine and no problem at all. It is changes from the standard specification that affects the points system.

This only applies to the chassis and powertrain though (on a Land Rover) You can change the body for anything.

Just 're read from here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles it would appear it has change slightly since I last read it but it still states you need at least two original parts from a drive train list and either the original chassis/ monocoque or a new original spec chassis/monocoque (you need a recipt to prove this) to retain the vehicles original registration.

Mike

Wow they have really tightened up/clarified the rules, to get an age related number for a rebuild ther can be no new parts and must be correct to the model.

Whilst it is good that the owners club is recognised as a suitable authority it could be problematic if they dissagree with your view of the marque.

Marc.

Dont know where you guys are getting your info from ?

Like for like replacements for everything is fine and no problem at all. It is changes from the standard specification that affects the points system.

This only applies to the chassis and powertrain though (on a Land Rover) You can change the body for anything.

As far as I'm aware this is correct.

Just 're read from here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles it would appear it has change slightly since I last read it but it still states you need at least two original parts from a drive train list and either the original chassis/ monocoque or a new original spec chassis/monocoque (you need a recipt to prove this) to retain the vehicles original registration.

Mike

I read that different to you. My understanding of that document is that the component parts must be of the same spec, be it standard or optional extra, issued by Land Rover for the type of vehicle it refers to. You can't tell me there are many early Series 2's running around still on their original springs.

Like for Like in service repair/replacement is the ket to it, and on that basis, a vehicle that has been to Africa and back several times since it left Solihull in the 1950's or 60's, could quite well have had everything replaced.

As far as I'm aware this is correct.

I read that different to you. My understanding of that document is that the component parts must be of the same spec, be it standard or optional extra, issued by Land Rover for the type of vehicle it refers to. You can't tell me there are many early Series 2's running around still on their original springs.

Like for Like in service repair/replacement is the ket to it, and on that basis, a vehicle that has been to Africa and back several times since it left Solihull in the 1950's or 60's, could quite well have had everything replaced.

I'm not disagreeing with you I doubt there are many older vehicles that actually meet the requirements.

To be fair this is the other problem how you interpret this is different to me and nobody knows who's right. You can't even phone them to ask as in the past I have and got four different answers until I finally got one that actually worked.

Mike