Engine changes DVLA

dave88sw

Hi,

I'm very nearly finished getting my series 3 back on the road with it's 300tdi fitted. Before i do, i'd like to update the log book with the new engine and number so that everything is above board. Can anyone that has done this give me some pointers as to the most hassle free method of getting it changed?

I've heard that they need evidence of the change in the form of an engineers report, this shouldn't be an issue as a fabricator friend would happily type something up for me as he made all my engine mounts etc. But i've also heard they want a receipt for the engine, considering i bought it second hand years ago and didn't think to get a receipt, what are my options with this? Is a receipt really necessary?

Thanks

Dave

Yes, just do as Western says. I've done numerous swaps and upgrades to different cars over the years. Having had traffic cops as neighbours on either side at my old address I always made sure the details all matched. Never had DVLA ask for proof, the only people interested in an engineers report may be your insurance company.

I need a receipt / letter from reputable garage confirming the engine number and fuel type

Write back and say you did the change yourself, send some pictures and a copy of the receipt from where you bought the engine...That's what the helpful chap from the DVLA told me to do when I phoned up asking about what to do about the letter they'd sent me demanding the same.

I just got the chap at my mot garage to type a quick letter quoting the new engine number and saying that it was properly installed and stuck that in with the v5. I don't know if it made a difference but i got the new v5 with the new number on it. :)

Mo

There is no real standard as to how they react , if you just change engine , you may get a amended V5 by return ( a few days) or if you change fuel at same time , the whole receipt for engine , and report from MOT garage of standard of work , and verification of numbers etc . It depends a lot on who does the initial response and how much of a box ticker they are . Speaking direct to them and even if you have what you would think would be relevant qualifications by experience and job, even official , doesnt seem to make any effect as to their response , even to the point where you were the owner of the engine (in vehicle) entered on their records prior to fitting it in your modded vehicle ! It is in the end just a matter of doing whatever they require , and being patient (very patient) . JMHE

When I did the 88 I just sent off the V5 with the new engine number. When I did a series 2 (engine and fuel type) and my 109 (just engine) DVLA wrote back on both occasions with a list of things they required. The only one I could provide was a letter from the garage confirming the identity. It appeared to be a change that happened after I did the 88, all of a sudden I was hearing of loads of people who were getting the same request when I had non

I can't see what the standard of fitting has got to do with the registration side of it. In the days of the DVLA all that I could see they would need would be proof you own the engine. Now they're joined with VOSA in the new DVSA body maybe they will start taking an interest in whether a conversion has actually been done to the required standard.

Though I would suggest something like an axle swap has far more potential for catastrophe and yet is completely unregulated.

they messed me about for months, in the end i phoned them up and said this is what i have like it or lump it, i did the install and the engine was mine anyway so no reciept all i had was the donor vehicles V5 in my name. they were arsey to say the least but i gave them all i could. once that conversation was over the updated V5 came through the next week.

im not saying getting arsey at them is the way to go but they just dont seem to understand sometimes haha

edit: they once tried telling us one of our tractors was on holiday in poland when we tried to tax it for the first time, that one went on for at least 4 years! lol

When I did my sj1000 to a 1600 they wanted a receipt with the engine number on or a garage or engineers report (they suggested I use the aa so I guess it's anyone with a reputation to lose) proving the engine number rather than if it had been safely installed. I assumed it was just so they had evidence that their records would be correct so as the police may use the information?